Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
Chigimus
Masterpiece
Re: MP Megatron alternatives

Copy and pasted from my comment after watching MP-36's transformation...

MP-36 does have engineering worthy of being a Masterpiece indeed, but the odd proportions here and there and lack of clean aesthetics may not fit with what some might consider an MP to be.

Despotron has an ok gun mode and the cleanest bot mode still, but is more comic accurate than toon so he doesn't quite fit in perfectly either. His strongest appeal is his transformation process which is clean, intuitive and fun.

Mightron probably has the cleanest gun mode to me, bot mode is decent but the legs aren't toon accurate at all, and that backpack is worse than MP-36. Sometimes I think he would've worked best in a CHUG collection if he was shrunk down to that scale.

Apollyon looks good in both modes, but is notorious with QC issues and a scary transformation.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

And MP05!

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

It's hilarious how many people are suggesting Apollyon, I can instantly tell which of you never transform your figures.

The correct answer is MakeToys Despotron but I would also suggest the original MP-05 Megatron as well. It's not as bad as people say.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot View Post
It's hilarious how many people are suggesting Apollyon, I can instantly tell which of you never transform your figures.
Ppl who own Apolloyon don't transform figures? Interesting assumption. Dead wrong but interesting.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
big dawg
Energon

I recently ordered Apollyon from eBay for around $100 shipped. The price was right and I just don't feel like MP Megs fits the same aesthetic as mp-10. I wanted maketoys version but it was more than double the price of Apollyon so the latter won
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

Mp - 05 IS as bad as people say.

Biggest p.o.s. ever.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #17
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

MP05 is NOT a p.o.s. It is, however, fiddly as hell with many pieces that easily can pop off. It's an impressive piece of engineering that is now a bit dated and the two-three week production time leading to its creation shows.

There is no alternative to MP36 other than MP05 if you want a Masterpiece Megatron. If you just want a big Megs, then go with Combiner Wars.

I can't personally suggest you go with Ap, Des, or Might. All 3P figures/versions are IP theft and shouldn't be supported. If you like them and want them, so be it, but it's contributing to that theft.

BTW, that's not my opinion, that's just how the law sees it. If you're okay with that kind of theft, then go ahead. I won't dispute that there are some beautifully made figures that represent a lot of time and effort. Some of these have tempted me in the past as well but ethically I can't do it.

I DO support 3P original efforts (based on their own creations and not clearly modelled after existing owned ideas), but those have largely dried up. I understand... they don't make the same kind of money.

Anyway, my high horse is riding up into my crotch so I'll get down now.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #18
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

I know prices have cooled significantly...
how much does a boxed Despotron go for?
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

none, go legit

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #20
elburrito
Animated

Not IP theft. Copyright doesn't attach to ideas, just the form of their expression. If you have a Canadian authority that says otherwise, I'd like to see it. Now dismounting the tall pony myself.

That said, all 3 are subpar to MP36 imo. There is one other rumoured to be in the works, Weijiang O/S which is apparently a blend of Apollyon and Mightron but bigger.

Still MP36 is a clear winner for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post
MP05 is NOT a p.o.s. It is, however, fiddly as hell with many pieces that easily can pop off. It's an impressive piece of engineering that is now a bit dated and the two-three week production time leading to its creation shows.

There is no alternative to MP36 other than MP05 if you want a Masterpiece Megatron. If you just want a big Megs, then go with Combiner Wars.

I can't personally suggest you go with Ap, Des, or Might. All 3P figures/versions are IP theft and shouldn't be supported. If you like them and want them, so be it, but it's contributing to that theft.

BTW, that's not my opinion, that's just how the law sees it. If you're okay with that kind of theft, then go ahead. I won't dispute that there are some beautifully made figures that represent a lot of time and effort. Some of these have tempted me in the past as well but ethically I can't do it.

I DO support 3P original efforts (based on their own creations and not clearly modelled after existing owned ideas), but those have largely dried up. I understand... they don't make the same kind of money.

Anyway, my high horse is riding up into my crotch so I'll get down now.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote