Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Re: Anyone into Mixed Martial Arts?

Got my first dan black belt in Seiko-Kai Karate years ago, then quit when they wanted me to do more kumite tournaments. Not my thing.

These days I don't know karate but I know ca-razay!!! I appreciate a lot of the MMA for its praticality. Karate was a great discipline but in a real world fight situation I'd probably get rocked if grappling got involved.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
Janitor
Classic

A year or two ago my wife and I REALLY got into the high profile UFC PPVs, we'd either go to a local bar or even stream from home. Haven't caught any recent events though (would still consider ourselves to be "casual" followers), combination of GSP retirement/watching Silva fall to Weidman (twice) in such odd fashions/we're not fans of Ronda Rousey the person.

Some very interesting lineups in the near future though:
-Dec 6: Hendricks v. Lawler
-Dec 20: Machida v. Dollaway
-Jan 3: Jones v. Cormier
-Jan 31: Silva v. Diaz
Like I said, I'm not the most knowledgable or hardcore fan, but definitely want to hear more from someone in the know.
Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Slayback
Animated

Did a seminar with GSP back in the day. Drove him around as i was his driver. Good guy. Really really slick moves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	205447_8900120141_839_n.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	26366  

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Been a fan of MMA for like 7-8 years now, since I started watching UFC. Actually, even before, one night I caught a late night show on TSN and really enjoyed it, but didn't know what it was. Years later I think it was watching Pride. It had the classic "Karate Man VS Wrestling Man" fights.

Anyhow, with so many cards, injuries, and overall watered down entertainment value, I've started to drift this past year. I'll watch some events and skip others, or certain fights on a card. I still follow the news on mmafighting.com, but don't watch The MMA Hour anymore or Luke Thomas's chat (MMA podcasts).

UFC had that "The Time is Now" event thing recently and felt no desire to watch it. Don't know if I will check out UFC 181.

Last edited by ConvoyGTR; 11-27-2014 at 11:43 PM.
ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
fordjuse
Banned

I followed MMA since the very early days. Back then it was called "NHB" or No Holds Barred. The sport was really underground only releasing on VHS tapes. Back then there were no time limits, bare hand, and limited rules. One was either a striker, or grappler. Very few fighters back then are well rounded like fighters today.
fordjuse is offline   Reply With Quote