Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: Opposite Opinion!

I'm pretty sure there's little to no love for the Trans-Scanning Movie Prime and Bumblebee from the 2007 Takara movie line, but strangely, I think they are incredible. Sure, they are even harder to transform than MP Megs, but the Alt-modes look like mini masterpieces, and the protoform concept is just so cool!!!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I have lots of contrary opinions about TFs:

1) For me, the 1986 Movie tried to wreck everything. I was a true '80s kid, born in 1976 so I was 8 in '84 when I first walked up to a display at the local drugstore (I know, it sold toys though) and saw robots that turned into stuff. My mind was blown. I bought Huffer right then and there with my allowance and I haven't really stopped buying TFs since.

BUT

The 1986 Transformers Movie was a freaking TRAUMA to me at the time. Killed Prime? Who were all these new weenies? Rodimus WHAT?

I was 10 years old and I just plain rejected the whole story.

I had to stop watching the cartoon because of this, but MY toys took on a different story of their own. Ultra Magnus was actually Optimus Prime in power armor and was still alive and leader of the Autobots. Galvatron was Megatron's rival. Starscream was still alive and scheming. All my friends were still functioning and carrying on.

So there's this big disconnect for me to the storyline of the 86 movie and what immediately followed it. Thus there are characters from it that I completely dislike:

Hot Rod / Rodimus
Arcee
Wreckers
Kup
Wheelie

etc etc. But I liked some of the toys and kept buying them on into PowerMasters (where Prime finally WAS back), Headmasters, etc. Even Action Masters.

So when people are going nuts over Rodimus Prime armors and $100 Arcee 3rd party toys, I'm on the outside looking in. I don't wish for accurate Springers or whatever.

2) I have always thought Bumblebee was a wimp. I don't know why people liked him. He was the one my little SISTER liked. I didn't like a 'Bee until the 2007 movie one, who I think is awesomesauce.

3) I'm an '80s kid long term TF fan who loves the Bay movies and thinks the Bay TF designs and toys are the best TFs ever. This combo of being a longtime fan who thinks the movieverse is #1 seems VERY rare.

4) I believe Transformers shouldn't have mustaches. Period. So I tend not to like toys of TFs that have em.

5) I believe Transformers are genderless. Some may have a build that we humans would think reminds us of one gender or another, but they don't actually have genders. So sexy Arcees don't rev my engine, if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I know much of these points stray from the original points about toy buying, but meh.

Oh and here's one more major thing that I believe that's quite different from most of the TF fandom:

While I've said above what I like and dislike, I feel in no way threatened by the existence of other fans who feel completely differently from me - even opposite. I really think we all need to accept the wide differences in the fandom and be cool with it and STOP trying to change each other's minds. Like what you like and let others like what they do.
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Predaking View Post
Universe Galvaltron. everyone hates him.
Despite his flaws I still like him.
Same here. I'm also a sucker for the 07 movie Dreadwing mold. Everyone hates it but it looks so sad and rejected that I can't help but love it.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

I'm just plain sick of Movie BB and Prime, I don't know how Hasbro is going to convince me to buy another when TF3 rolls around?
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Camaroman2
Better than a Masterpiece

Nice comments guys. I, too love the Universe Galvatron Mode!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I only own and like 3 movies toys and for two only because of what they're vehicle modes are (Mindwipe and Skystalker).

Although I do own 3 Henkei figures (Megatron, Dark Skyfire and Ghost Starscream) and they are quite nice I don't consider them vastly superior to what Hasbro puts out in North America.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772

Last edited by Tekkamanraiden; 08-22-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
I have lots of contrary opinions about TFs:

1) For me, the 1986 Movie tried to wreck everything. I was a true '80s kid, born in 1976 so I was 8 in '84 when I first walked up to a display at the local drugstore (I know, it sold toys though) and saw robots that turned into stuff. My mind was blown. I bought Huffer right then and there with my allowance and I haven't really stopped buying TFs since.

BUT

The 1986 Transformers Movie was a freaking TRAUMA to me at the time. Killed Prime? Who were all these new weenies? Rodimus WHAT?

I was 10 years old and I just plain rejected the whole story.

I had to stop watching the cartoon because of this, but MY toys took on a different story of their own. Ultra Magnus was actually Optimus Prime in power armor and was still alive and leader of the Autobots. Galvatron was Megatron's rival. Starscream was still alive and scheming. All my friends were still functioning and carrying on.

So there's this big disconnect for me to the storyline of the 86 movie and what immediately followed it. Thus there are characters from it that I completely dislike:

Hot Rod / Rodimus
Arcee
Wreckers
Kup
Wheelie

etc etc. But I liked some of the toys and kept buying them on into PowerMasters (where Prime finally WAS back), Headmasters, etc. Even Action Masters.

So when people are going nuts over Rodimus Prime armors and $100 Arcee 3rd party toys, I'm on the outside looking in. I don't wish for accurate Springers or whatever.

2) I have always thought Bumblebee was a wimp. I don't know why people liked him. He was the one my little SISTER liked. I didn't like a 'Bee until the 2007 movie one, who I think is awesomesauce.

3) I'm an '80s kid long term TF fan who loves the Bay movies and thinks the Bay TF designs and toys are the best TFs ever. This combo of being a longtime fan who thinks the movieverse is #1 seems VERY rare.

4) I believe Transformers shouldn't have mustaches. Period. So I tend not to like toys of TFs that have em.

5) I believe Transformers are genderless. Some may have a build that we humans would think reminds us of one gender or another, but they don't actually have genders. So sexy Arcees don't rev my engine, if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I know much of these points stray from the original points about toy buying, but meh.

Oh and here's one more major thing that I believe that's quite different from most of the TF fandom:

While I've said above what I like and dislike, I feel in no way threatened by the existence of other fans who feel completely differently from me - even opposite. I really think we all need to accept the wide differences in the fandom and be cool with it and STOP trying to change each other's minds. Like what you like and let others like what they do.
You're a tiny bit younger than I, but I tend to agree with almost everything you said. I can't completely recall where I lost touch with TF's, but it's slowly coming back to me after reading this, and I think it was because the writers strayed so far away from the G1 story, that I just got lost somewhere I personally think the movie figures are kick a$$ as well !

Nice post too, btw
CETERUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

I hate repaints. I don't understand what the fascination is with owning the same figure again, but this time its red and gold instead of green and white. I understand why some color schemes look better than others and have sometimes been tempted, but its still the same figure and articulation. I'm a big believer in one figure per mold, and usually go with the original or show accurate colour scheme or one I find to look better. I can understand collecting figures like Bumblebee/Cliffjumper or various Seekers because of their G1 backstory, but I'll just get a BB and SC and call it a day, thank you very much.

Also, I didn't think Leader Class Brawl would be as good as people say it was and only got him because it was on sale. Turns out I was completely wrong and he is my favorite out of the entire movie 1 line.
ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

I was seriously disappointed with Classics Jetfire. A Voyager price-point and they couldn't even find somewhere to put the arms in altmode?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
I'm just plain sick of Movie BB and Prime, I don't know how Hasbro is going to convince me to buy another when TF3 rolls around?
Same here. I honestly don't see how they can improve on Prime or BB anymore than they already have.

I'm kinda sick of the movie toys in general. I'm excited for the next film, but the toys themselves I could care less about.

Cheers!
-Ian

Tags
dislike, drift, generations, opinion, transformers