Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Omegatron
Gen 1
Customs Duties?

So I recently got hit by customs for an order from a U.S. retailer. This is the first time in a couple of years this has happened and I order fairly often, so I'm not doing bad. This time though I actually read the customs label attached to the side of the box which explained the charges and I have to admit to being a little confused and annoyed. What it said, exactly, is the following:

Duty: $0

Excise Tax: $0

Gst: $35.49

Handling Fee: $9.95

Total: $45.44

So the purchase was actually duty free, the only thing they could charge me with was the tax for something not made or purchased in Canada. Then they charged me almost ten dollars for their inconvenience in having to open my package.

I'm sure this is 100% the way the law works but really? I know I'm just complaining by anyone know if this actually is the way the law works cause it seems strange to me?
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: Customs Duties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
So I recently got hit by customs for an order from a U.S. retailer. This is the first time in a couple of years this has happened and I order fairly often, so I'm not doing bad. This time though I actually read the customs label attached to the side of the box which explained the charges and I have to admit to being a little confused and annoyed. What it said, exactly, is the following:

Duty: $0

Excise Tax: $0

Gst: $35.49

Handling Fee: $9.95

Total: $45.44

So the purchase was actually duty free, the only thing they could charge me with was the tax for something not made or purchased in Canada. Then they charged me almost ten dollars for their inconvenience in having to open my package.

I'm sure this is 100% the way the law works but really? I know I'm just complaining by anyone know if this actually is the way the law works cause it seems strange to me?
What carrier?
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Customs duties and taxes
Any item mailed into Canada is potentially subject to duty and/or taxes with few exceptions. The CBSA collects provincial sales taxes (PST) and Harmonized Sales Taxes (HST) according to the province of residence on most taxable imports valued at over $20CAD.

Customers with questions regarding the collection of these taxes should call CBSA Border Information Service (BIS):

Within Canada
Outside Canada
1-800-461-9999
1-204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064 (long distance charges will apply)
For more information on mail imports, visit cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html.

A handling fee of $9.95CAD per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied. This fee is in line with the government’s efforts to help recover costs from those who benefit from services, and is similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries.

Mail items containing merchandise enter Canada through CBSA screening centres, are inspected by CBSA Officers and assessed for applicable customs duties, taxes and charges. If duties and/or taxes are owed, items will be delivered along with the E14 Customs Invoice indicating the amount that the addressee must pay before the package can be released to them. Canada Post collects the fees on behalf of the CBSA and accepts the following methods of payment:

cash
certified cheque or uncertified business cheque (payable to Canada Post Corporation)
credit card (Visa, Master Card or American Express)
commercial account.
Upon payment and receipt of the item, importers should retain a copy of the E14 Invoice as a receipt for their records.
Old complaint about Canada Post. It used to be $5 or so many years ago and has gone up since then.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
optimusb39
Animated

The tariff wars have begun... primus have mercy on us all.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I was hit too, I bought a XiaoMi phone from Aliexpress, and the store declared $40. So customer tax is $40 X 13% = $5.2. But the handle fee was $10!

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

The $10 handling fee has been the same price for over 10 years.

If CBSA touches it you get to pay $10 plus the gst on the declared value of the item.

Personally I'm just happy when they don't destroy it repacking it.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #7
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Yes, the 10$ is for CBSA, hurts most when you get knocked on a low value item and most of the cost is CBSA added fees. Which shipping method did they use coming from the US? Priority? First Class USPS?
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 AM   #8
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
The $10 handling fee has been the same price for over 10 years.

If CBSA touches it you get to pay $10 plus the gst on the declared value of the item.

Personally I'm just happy when they don't destroy it repacking it.
Actually, the fee was $5 until June 4, 2011 when it rose to $8.50. On Aug 18, 2012 it rose to the current rate of $9.95.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
Poflymn
Beast Machine
Poflymn's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
the only thing they could charge me with was the tax for something not made or purchased in Canada.
The purpose of customs is to essentially discourage buying outside of Canada. The reason they charge you taxes is more or less a penalty for not spending the money within Canada from a Canadian Business. The theory behind it is that you could have bought the item in Canada but decided to buy it elsewhere in order to avoid having to pay taxes on the item.
Poflymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post
Actually, the fee was $5 until June 4, 2011 when it rose to $8.50. On Aug 18, 2012 it rose to the current rate of $9.95.
Oh, I though it was a lot longer ago than that. My mistake.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote