Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Pascal
Banned
Quick review: Fans Project TFX-01 City Commander

PROS

-trailer mode is nicely detailed (even the wheels are matching from a distance) and tight (nothing flops around)
-colors perfectly match the ones found on Ultra Magnus
-good plastic = good weight (no cheap plastic here)
-armor fits perfectly and securely (zero looseness and no gaps - the armor contours the existing robot perfectly)
-transformation is a lenghty process, is challenging and satisfying (I was wowed by some of the steps, like how the leg armor is formed or how well the gun is integrated
-awesome sculpt and detailing in combined mode (great headsculpt and very modern look with all the sharp edges all over)
-perfectly applied paint apps all over
-choice of different license plate stickers
-license plate rotates to be invisible on the foot in robot mode!
-BFG (and it has 2 modes)
-guns for Ultra Magnus can be pegged behind the shoulder pieces (so no extra parts lying around)
-holes on the shoulders to fit G1 Magnus missile launchers (at least so they say)
-Ultra Magnus looks good even from the back!
-head and legs can be posed nicely
-foot platforms can be tilted for better stability and poseability!
-spring-loaded chest armor side bars for tighter fit!
-awesome packaging
-best set of instructions ever! (comic with integrated instructions in the story)

CONS

-trailer cannot turn when attached to Ultra Magnus in truck mode
-BFG is enormous
-one of the 2 modes for the BFG (with the cannon flipped forward) puts too much weight on the arm (unless I do it wrong, there's also some slight forearm interference preventing the gun from being perfectly straight like it should)
-inserting and removing the legs into/from the leg armor is a bit difficult and requires some force... a bit scary
-gun handle is a bit difficult to slide out, doesn't look like it's going to break but be careful when you pull
-limited arm poseability because of the extra bulk
-not too sure about the story in the comic... and why does it look like it features Optimus Prime and not Ultra Magnus?

Seriously, it's the perfect update for G1 Ultra Magnus. It looks modern, it's gorgeous, it comes with great packaging, it's limited and it delivers. None of the cons are really cons for me, it's just nitpicking. With this set, I don't even feel the need for a Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. This is my masterpiece Ultra Magnus. Well worth the investment.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Quick review: Fans Project TFX-01 City Commander

Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Pascal
Banned

Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
venksta
Render Project Creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
-not too sure about the story in the comic... and why does it look like it features Optimus Prime and not Ultra Magnus?

I can give you the answer behind that, since I wrote the comic. First off, TF-Parallax is the name of FansProject's series, like Energon, Cybertron, RID, ect. Parallax itself is about adventures with TFs in different universes, kind of like Shattered Glass. The story used in the comic was one of my first ideas for it, and I was planning something big for it after getting the "OK". However the FansProject guys really liked it, and the designer went and drew a comic based off my summary idea. Basically, when I came up with the idea for it, I thought it would be better to go with the Diaclone Convoy repaint as the main character, along with creating a new core character based off Classics Prime, as a blue repaint to match the original Diaclone colors. Since FP painted their Powered Convoy based off Classics Prime, they drew him instead of the blue cab TF.

Also, since the instructions could of been just a black and white line art of the toy, does it really matter if the comic doesn't feature the City Commander colors?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Pascal
Banned

Well... you'd think he comic would feature Ultra Magnus since that's who the product is for/about?

I want a Pharaohtron toy btw.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
venksta
Render Project Creations

There was a comic done featuring City Commander, with Prime, Megatron and his clone. But it got leaked on one of the asian tf boards. Due to that, they scrapped it and made this one. Maybe if they release the Diaclone repaint, the comic for that can feature City Commander.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Nice! Hope I will receive mine soon...

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

Got mine the other day from Kool Toys.

thanks Sheraz.

absolutely awesome!!

love it.

but yup putting the legs in is scary. scared to take it off now , lol.

but everyone should get one of these. or 2 or 3. lol
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Banshee
Energon

Can't wait to receive mine. This my most anticipated toy this year!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
C_Shewins
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
I can give you the answer behind that, since I wrote the comic. First off, TF-Parallax is the name of FansProject's series, like Energon, Cybertron, RID, ect. Parallax itself is about adventures with TFs in different universes, kind of like Shattered Glass. The story used in the comic was one of my first ideas for it, and I was planning something big for it after getting the "OK". However the FansProject guys really liked it, and the designer went and drew a comic based off my summary idea. Basically, when I came up with the idea for it, I thought it would be better to go with the Diaclone Convoy repaint as the main character, along with creating a new core character based off Classics Prime, as a blue repaint to match the original Diaclone colors. Since FP painted their Powered Convoy based off Classics Prime, they drew him instead of the blue cab TF.

Also, since the instructions could of been just a black and white line art of the toy, does it really matter if the comic doesn't feature the City Commander colors?
Cool, you are the one who wrote the story?? Amazing, I am your fan now
C_Shewins is offline   Reply With Quote