Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Online store recomendations

As far as it goes, a group of Edmonton fans are going to order a bunch of Onslaught/Sky-Lynx from BBTS in a couple weeks. At least we can split the shipping. We've worked it to around 37 a voyager. I'll take that.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
I considered bbts for the pair of voyagers but it would have been well over $100 with taxes, shipping, duty, exchange etc
I have never paid GST/HST with anything that cost less than $50 US (actually anything less than $100 Cadn). I don't think there is duty as I have never been asked to pay for. But, yes, the exchange rate is not in our favor (although the pair is still cost less than $100 Cadn.). Shipping across the border is not that cheap either, too.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
BigBadToyStore and TFSource in the States have Onslaught + Sky Lynx for $50US + shipping.
If BBTS don't forget DUTY, they make sure you get dinged with it every time
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
As far as it goes, a group of Edmonton fans are going to order a bunch of Onslaught/Sky-Lynx from BBTS in a couple weeks. At least we can split the shipping. We've worked it to around 37 a voyager. I'll take that.
LOL, wait until you see the duty charge for that.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #15
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
If BBTS don't forget DUTY, they make sure you get dinged with it every time
I have had quite a few things shipped from BBTS and sometimes TFSource via postal service (USPS/CanadaPost) from time to time over the years and here are my observations:

(1) Any package that has a declaration value (excluded shipping) of $100 or less CBSA will just let it go w/o any GST/HST. For example I have just received my MP Hot Rod from HLJ - no sales tax even when HLJ declared the full value

(2) Any package that has a declaration value greater than $100 CBSA will charge a small clearance/brokerage fees of $9.95 and the GST (Albertans) or HST/PST (the rest of us) of the content(s) of the shipment. For instance, I have just received a package of some Japanese G1 toys and I have to pay for the sales tax according to the declared values for the items because they are over this "limit".

There is no duty on toys (or I should say I have never been asked to pay for duty with figures/toys). This is not only true for the US but for figures/toys sent to me from Japan if I shipped via postal service (e.g. EMS) NOT through couriers.

I have seldom chosen to ship via UPS & FedEx with BBTS & TFSource but for the shipments that I did they charged for the sales tax (but no duty) no matter the cost of the items. That's why I go for postal services instead For UPS I have been dinged with a ridiculous custom brokerage fees (I think it was "UPS ground" or something). Not so for FedEx - actually BBTS stated on their website that there is no extra brokerage charge from FedEx for the level of service that BBTS is using if you picked FedEx.

Lastly, online shops like TFSource, BBTS will declare the full values of the contents so, yes, you will be charged at the border sales tax (again not duty) like you are shopping locally. I suppose if you are dealing with a private seller who/an online shop which doesn't declare the full value of the item(s) inside your may get away with the sales tax.

Again these are my experience with cross border shopping. If you want there is a whole doc. @ CBSA website on what are deemed to be dinged with duties and the rates.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 03-23-2016 at 05:36 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #16
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
I have had quite a few things shipped from BBTS and sometimes TFSource via postal service (USPS/CanadaPost) from time to time over the years and here are my observations:

(1) Any package that has a declaration value (excluded shipping) of $100 or less CBSA will just let it go w/o any GST/HST. For example I have just received my MP Hot Rod from HLJ - no sales tax even when HLJ declared the full value

(2) Any package that has a declaration value greater than $100 CBSA will charge a small clearance/brokerage fees of $9.95 and the GST (Albertans) or HST/PST (the rest of us) of the content(s) of the shipment. For instance, I have just received a package of some Japanese G1 toys and I have to pay for the sales tax according to the declared values for the items because they are over this "limit".

There is no duty on toys (or I should say I have never been asked to pay for duty with figures/toys). This is not only true for the US but for figures/toys sent to me from Japan if I shipped via postal service (e.g. EMS) NOT through couriers.

I have seldom chosen to ship via UPS & FedEx with BBTS & TFSource but for the shipments that I did they charged for the sales tax (but no duty) no matter the cost of the items. That's why I go for postal services instead For UPS I have been dinged with a ridiculous custom brokerage fees (I think it was "UPS ground" or something). Not so for FedEx - actually BBTS stated on their website that there is no extra brokerage charge from FedEx for the level of service that BBTS is using if you picked FedEx.

Lastly, online shops like TFSource, BBTS will declare the full values of the contents so, yes, you will be charged at the border sales tax (again not duty) like you are shopping locally. I suppose if you are dealing with a private seller who/an online shop which doesn't declare the full value of the item(s) inside your may get away with the sales tax.

Again these are my experience with cross border shopping. If you want there is a whole doc. @ CBSA website on what are deemed to be dinged with duties and the rates.
I just got dinged yesterday for 36 dollars in duty for a 165 dollar order from BBTS. States clearly on the box plastic toys, so I don't think you're correct.

Everytime I've ordered from BBTS over the last 15 years I've been hit with duty from them, regardless of the amount the order was, over a hundred, under a hundred, doesn't matter.

TFSource, only paid duty the last time I ordered from them, vowed never to do so again.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #17
elburrito
Animated

There is not duty on toys, but there is on collectibles. USPS is a whole other deal. But if you want the cheapest TFs, it goes

1. Japan (HLJ, Anime-Export, AmiAmi, HobbySearch, Nippon-Yasan),

2. Canada (in CAD - Slayback/Madhaus, Kooltoys, Toy Trove)

3. China (Chimungmung, Action Robo, Robot Kingdom)

then 4. US Stores,

Then 5. Canadians charging in USD

The lists of vendors are not exhaustive, but generally the "duty" occurs most frequently with BBTS in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
I just got dinged yesterday for 36 dollars in duty for a 165 dollar order from BBTS. States clearly on the box plastic toys, so I don't think you're correct.

Everytime I've ordered from BBTS over the last 15 years I've been hit with duty from them, regardless of the amount the order was, over a hundred, under a hundred, doesn't matter.

TFSource, only paid duty the last time I ordered from them, vowed never to do so again.
Edit: for English speakers that is, one can find some sweet bargains on some of the Asian sites with the help of Google Translate.

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 03-23-2016 at 06:18 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #18
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
2. Canada (in CAD - Slayback/Madhaus, Kooltoys, Toy Trove)

Then 5. Canadians charging in USD
There is no difference in price here, if anything they are all the same price. I've never seen anything listed on your #2 sites that is cheaper than any on the #5 sites.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #19
big dawg
Energon

I've never been charged duty from eBay (unless charged by the vendor), HLJ or Ami ami.

I have been charged duty every single time from BBTS, TFsource and Amazon.com. Every single time and it ain't a little charge either. It's what scared me away from using those services.

Also of note- the OP was specifically asking about wave 5-6 CW which are not available from HLJ or other Japanese etailers. I've just resigned to the fact I may never get a CW skylynx.
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #20
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
I've never been charged duty from eBay (unless charged by the vendor), HLJ or Ami ami.

I have been charged duty every single time from BBTS, TFsource and Amazon.com. Every single time and it ain't a little charge either. It's what scared me away from using those services.

Also of note- the OP was specifically asking about wave 5-6 CW which are not available from HLJ or other Japanese etailers. I've just resigned to the fact I may never get a CW skylynx.
I got CW Sky Lynx in my over charged box from BBTS, he's not that impressive, to be honest, he's a disappointment, you aren't missing anything. He's too small.