Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Canadian Slag Episode 33 - 3 Alt Modes Does Not a Triple Changer Make

Since our listeners asked (...ok most practically demanded it with the teasing title of episode 27) for it, we actually discuss triple changers on episode 33...GET IT?! The episode number has two 3's?! HA!...Lame. What exactly makes a triple changer, and who are they? Listen and be the judge. Daniel then covers a new topic, What's in a name? where we look into the 1984 Transformers names, how'd they get them? What do they mean? How do they relate to the characters? Also this episode got a double shot of Getting to know with Hubcap and Perceptor, and winds down with a good ol' fashioned What the hell were they thinking with the Generation 2 Cybernet Space Cube?!

Episode 33 - 3 Alt Modes Does Not a Triple Changer Make
Host: Daniel w/ Chris, Ryan, and Phil
- An actual triple changers discussion
- What's in a Name? 1984 Edition
- Getting to know DOUBLE SHOT Hubcab and Perceptor (for cky_ibm)
- What the hell were they thinking?! With the Generation Cybernet Space Cube

DOWNLOAD NOW!
(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW!

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 33 - 3 Alt Modes Does Not a Triple Changer Make

And I was just wondering "when's the next slag going to be out"
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

We recorded Wednesday night, I had the episode edited on Thursday night, but since we were all busy at Anime North all weekend pimping Canada's largest Transformers convention it had to go up on Sunday night instead of our usual Saturday night :P

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Protoman
The Legend

I loved doing the What's in a Name topic. Expect more from this.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
jackwacko
Classic

The definitive triple changer: Cybertronian fire truck, autobot leader, FLYING TRUCK!!!!

But I have a question, a transformer that has a total of 3 modes to alternate from.. So what about Punch/Counterpunch?

Also, this being my first time tuning into Canadian Slag.. I'm so subscribing to this.
jackwacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwacko View Post
But I have a question, a transformer that has a total of 3 modes to alternate from.. So what about Punch/Counterpunch?
Well...the original triple changers had 2 alt modes, and 1 robot mode....so while technically, yes, P/CP does have 3 different modes, he doesn't fit that original definition as he has 2 robot modes, and 1 alt mode.

It's a bit of a gray region but even his bio/box never even had him officially listed as a triple changer, nor has he been referred to as such in any of the limited fiction he's had to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwacko View Post
Also, this being my first time tuning into Canadian Slag.. I'm so subscribing to this.
Now ya got 32 episodes to get up to speed on :P

Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Supernova
Second star to the right

Ok, I haven't managed to get through the entire show yet, but I wanted to toss in my two cents on triple changers.

For me, it all comes down to the "t".

Triple Changers (capital T & C), represent the original six (though of course, we only care about four of them). Unique in the fact that they were (more or less) the first Transformers to go from one robot mode to two vehicle modes. This made them deserving of the name.

Then, as time went on and the technology became more widespread, it lost its significance when more and more Transformers could pull off three modes (and not necessarily two vehicle modes). Therefore, while they were triple changers (small case), it lost the impact that the first group had.

So, while it may be oversimplifying, I always think of Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Octane, Springer, Broadside, and Sandstorm as a league of their own. All others be damned!

Transformers and Other Stuff For Sale

My Feedback Thread
Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Sicky Ibum?

Wow. I think I finally need to put in a name change request. My name sucks. Thanks to GMFan for pointing out it's for "IAN"

Anways, on the topic on Henkei Hot Rod, yes I probably overpaid for the thing, but it's pretty hard to track down one in North America, and I don't see the prices getting any better anytime soon with the Protector set coming out. I'm still kicking myself for putting one back at Silver Snail last year for 35 bucks. Plus if I can help out Ryan's Macross habits, it's all good!

For the triple Changers, I think the Cassettes Beastbox, Squalktalk, Grandslam and Raindance kinda count. I mean, they do have 3 modes, but they are a combiner as well. It's kind of a grey area I guess, when you start merging the gimmicks.

Ah, the crap that was the Cybernet Space cube. My theory is that Hasbro did it to try and trick children (Like myself) that in the age group that was young enough to remember watching G1 on TV, and was still young enough at that point to be a target audience to watch the G2 cartoon into thinking they were watching a whole new show....

Well it didn't work.

I can remember watching the premiere on YTV many years ago, excited that we were going to be getting an all new transformers cartoon and I when I saw that it was just the G1 cartoon but with the Cybernet Space Cube crap, even at age 11 I was like "What the f**k?! This is just the old cartoon" Talk about being disapointed.

Anyways great job as always.

Cheers!
-Sicky Ibum
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I loved doing the What's in a Name topic. Expect more from this.
Do 96, there are some interesting and hard to decipher names there.

As for a triple changer? In my opinion, it's only a third mode if it has significant parts of the toy devoted to forming such a mode. Folding out wings ala Transmetals and Tracks is not a third mode because the parts are small and the look of the toy hasn't altered much. Such small changes would be more akin to a gimmick.

However, I do consider Energon Shockblast to be a triple changer because of all the chrome panels that unfold for his satellite mode. This is one of the weaker examples but I think the modes are different enough to count. Energon Scorponok, though, would NOT be a triple changer, because his jet mode is just a differently configured version of the "construction vehicle mode".

The Cybertron Gigantions are billed as having two robot modes, which are just stockier versions of their full ones. This is not a triple changer. Menasor can "combine" with his mini-con into... power shovel mode? Not a third mode because it's still the same this as before. All of these exist in a form that's essentially an incomplete transformation.

ROTF Mixmaster is not a triple changer, because although his cannon is technically a part that only needs to be their for the cannon mode, it is not significant enough to warrant a third mode. That's as if you just configured any toy into a ball around it's gun. Mixmaster is one of those "in-between" modes, which is not grounds for calling yourself a triple changer.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Downloading now. I can't wait to give this one a listen because it sounds particularly juicy.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast