Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #31
alternatorfan
g1 baby
Re: confused

Mp starscream is only gonna cost $62.97+tax for me!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441234938058.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	29954  
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #32
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
Hey, I don't want this to become a zombie thread, that's why I wanted to post here instead of creating a new one.

Anyways, I am still confused and I don't what to do, I have Classic Seekers (Thundercracker, Universe 2.0 Starscream) Classic Starscream (but he doesn't count since he is lame), Prowl and I am getting Henkei Seekers (the original 3). And now I am running my head left right and center thinking whether continue my C.H.U.G route or go MP direction.

C.H.U.G's are less expensive but have a kid toysish feel and on display they look like kid toys (but then again you have the G2 Ramjet, Thundercracker, Ghost Starscream, Botcon's Exclusives) which would run around between 80-90$, I don't think those are kid toys IMO, but I could be wrong. By getting MP's require tons of funds whereas C.H.U.G with the price of a MP you can get at least 3-4 C.H.U.G's expect for MP Bumblebee, Tracks, Prowl, Bluestreak which would run max between 70-90$.

So confused, and I call myself a TF fan when I don't know which line to collect.
As I've said to you time and time again.

Masterpiece.

You're an adult collector, right? Then collect adult collectibles.

If cost is a concern cap yourself at just the Seekers for now. Start with Thundercracker, save up for Starscream, then wait for Skywarp.

CHUG was/is great but you'll eventually want MPs. They are the best and they are closer to your reach than you think.

surely there are extraneous expenses you can cut back on?

Eating out? Movie tickets? Alcohol?

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #33
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
As I've said to you time and time again.

Masterpiece.

You're an adult collector, right? Then collect adult collectibles.

If cost is a concern cap yourself at just the Seekers for now. Start with Thundercracker, save up for Starscream, then wait for Skywarp.

CHUG was/is great but you'll eventually want MPs. They are the best and they are closer to your reach than you think.

surely there are extraneous expenses you can cut back on?

Eating out? Movie tickets? Alcohol?
I know CHUG is/was great, and as an adult, I have to collect adult figures, which are MP's, but people have said if I want to go the MP route, I have to start with MP-10 Hasbro as he is the ultimate must have MP for all collectors and for those who are just starting as well.

I cut back as much as I could cheaper rent, never eating out, lowered my TV plan, there's not much more cutting I can do
Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #34
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Collect what YOU want to. You seem to like the Seekers so just collect the Seekers. Or if its Thundercracker you like then just get
MP Thundercracker.

MP-10 is great but you don't have to start with him.

Heck, you don't have to start collecting MPs if you can't or don't want to. But you've been on the fence about this for a while and its time you make a decision or else you just keep asking yourself "Should I or Shouldn't I?".

Personally I believe that if you're even question whether CHUGS are good enough then in your mind you already know they are not.

You just need to coem to terms with two things:
  • Collecting MPs is expensive
  • Your CHUGS are virtually worthless
You are not going to get what you think they are worth. I'm not saying this to be an ass. It's the plain truth that I had to realize 4 years ago when I sold off 90% of my collection (most of which were CHUG) at a much lower price than I thought I would get.

In summary, starting with MPs is gonna hurt the wallet. No doubt about it. But will it make you happy? To some extent, yes. So doesn't that make it kinda worth it to save up?

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #35
nicoath
Underbase caretaker

Dude,

I'm not sure what your confusion is at this point.

Firstly, you don't have to collect anything specific and still be a fan of something.

Secondly, to alleviate your confusion, factor the pros & cons and respect your budgetary limitations. Look at what interests you aesthetically based on the figures you want to display. If you're not in a rush to collect everything all at once then both are attainable. There are sales threads here for both categories almost on a daily basis. There's TFcon. Bide your time to respect your budget.

Finally, they're all toys, whether it be targeted to children or collectors, bottom line, they're toys. Collecting should be fun, not a stress.

Hope this helped.
nicoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #36
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

MP-10 is a fantastic figure -- I finally have one in my MP collection myself! -- but don't feel obligated to get him just because people say you should. If it's not your priority, just don't worry about it.

You seem concerned about whether your collection looks "kid toyish". I have two comments:

1) You should collect what makes you happy, not what you think would impress other people. Ultimately your collection exists for your own enjoyment.

2) Don't fool yourself: to anyone who's not an enthusiast, ALL toys look "kid toyish", whether it's CHUG, MP, or third party.

My TF display at the moment has a hodgepodge of CHUG, Animated, CW, RID2015, and MPs. I'm also building a fembot collection from all toylines. I love them all. In the end, that should be your goal as a collector -- get what you love.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #37
CAF
Banned

Just get the Starscream Preorder from TRU for the 89 bucks and the rest will be history man ��
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #38
Mercutio
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
MP-10 is a fantastic figure -- I finally have one in my MP collection myself! -- but don't feel obligated to get him just because people say you should. If it's not your priority, just don't worry about it.

You seem concerned about whether your collection looks "kid toyish". I have two comments:

1) You should collect what makes you happy, not what you think would impress other people. Ultimately your collection exists for your own enjoyment.

2) Don't fool yourself: to anyone who's not an enthusiast, ALL toys look "kid toyish", whether it's CHUG, MP, or third party.

My TF display at the moment has a hodgepodge of CHUG, Animated, CW, RID2015, and MPs. I'm also building a fembot collection from all toylines. I love them all. In the end, that should be your goal as a collector -- get what you love.
Totally agree with all of this. I just pick the figures I like from each line, which so far has been a bunch of CHUG/classics, some Prime and Animated, a select few movie figs here and there, one or two Binaltech, and a small but growing number of MPs.

I don't care what line a figure is from; I don't care how popular or rare or worthless it is; I just care whether it's a cool figure or not.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #39
pside9
Beasty

I started very late in collecting and have a small batch of figures thats mixed from a few lines. If money is a major factor (like it is for me) then don't fret about entirely completing lines.

I'm agreeing with everyone else who said to just collect the toys you really like.
pside9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #40
Grimtron
Generation 2

Ironwave you got collect what you want. Don't listen to the people who say you have to get all the MP or you have to start with MP-10. You got to collect what you want not what others think you should collect. If you like seekers just collect the seekers. For me I don't even have MP-10 cause I really don't like Optimus Prime and even if I did want him I can't justify the money to buy him, when I don't got that much. I collected the characters I like, woot Soundwave!!

Its all about what you want! Would you really want to stare at a collection you don't like and have regrets or would you want to stare at one you love and have no regrets?
Grimtron is offline   Reply With Quote