Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Buhawi
Ang Alamat
Re: Maketoys Yellow Giant VS TFC Hercules Review Comparison *ONGOING INVESTIGATION*

Slave: Your review is much more refined from what I've seen so far with others. Why not put a video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
not for me, tfc scrapper has the purple chest look, and not the cab chest. he looks like scrapper. maketoys reminds me of the micromaster one
True.

I just wish TFC would layoff the rounded look. It makes every one of them feel like a toddler's toy. Sigh.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Re: Maketoys Yellow Giant VS TFC Hercules Review Comparison *ONGOING INVESTIGATION*

TFC Hercules VS Maketoys Yellow Giant face off starts now, LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Man... There is so much to talk about these two... I dont even know Where to start...

Ok so let's start by a Side By Side comparison, their look... I know... personality counts... but lets be the superficial guys that we deep down are and talk about their booty

TFC Hercules is obviously a bit taller but not by much, about an inch and a half. He looks more taller than this but really isnt. I think its the length of his legs that tricks the eyes. He seems to have longer legs, but the real thing is that he's actually much slimmer... if both of them were the same scale, Maketoys Yellow Giant would be much bulkier than TFC Hercules. But that's because Maketoys Yellow Giant doesnt uses the threads of Excavator & Bulldozer as forearms... which makes hims much more bulky... something that TFC will be fixing with their upcoming add-on called TFC-007 Rage of Hercules Upgrade Set. Personally I LOVE and give credits to TFC for making use of the threads from Neck Breaker & Exgraver as forearms... its an ingenius transformation personally... But the bulky look that gives Maketoys Yellow Giant seems to have won the fans and explains why TFC is making an Add-on to correct this and become more accurate to the G1 Devastator and so TFC Hercules will become just as bulky when that add-on comes out... but its not out yet so lets not consider this in today's face off for now, and get back to it when it will be out. It's a bit nit-picking yet again, but its the little details that hurts. TFC Hercules's crane mounted on his shoulder seems to be much more long and sticks out too much in his back. While Maketoys Yellow Giant crane on his shoulder can tuck in half and doesnt stick out the back at all.

Speaking about details... TFC Hercules feels bland without any painted details (please not that my TFC Hercules has all of Reprolabels on it, so I am not taking this in consideration) but Maketoys Yellow Giant, although each limb robots were much more detailed than TFC's robots, once assembled, Maketoys Yellow Giant looks a bit bland too. But still, Maketoys Yellow Giant is more detailed than TFC Hercules color wise.

As for their heads... there's not much to say but TFC Hercules has nice light piping that Maketoys Yellow Giant doesnt have. Personally I dont like both of their faces... TFC Hercules is too neutral... and Maketoys Yellow Giant has a stupid grin on his face... Devastator never grins. Nit picking here, but TFC Hercules has a really nice visor... problem is, it doesnt hold too much in place and easily falls off his face. He looks better with the visor... looks more G1 accurate, but I'm always afraid to lose it.

What now? Let's say Build Quality:

TFC Hercules wins hands down... The plastic used is almost indestructible. No stress mark anywhere and trust me, I played with him quite a lot. TFC Hercules doesnt scare me at all if he ever is to fall down my shelve. He is SOLID! It's Grade-A Fisher Price plastic. It's not an insult really, Fisher Price Plastic is one of the toughess thing in the world. haha

Weight? I dunno what it would affect in your judgement, but TFC Hercules hands down is more heavier... clearly the quality of the plastic weight in more than the flimsy plastic that makes Maketoys Yellow Giant

As of Maketoys Yellow Giant, the plastic is poorer, I got stress marks already and if you read the review about Dump Truck you'd know about a part that already broke on mine (although set C included replacement parts which I happily replaced but still, it doesnt excuse the fact that the parts broke on the first transformation). There are a few spots on the Maketoys Yellow Giant that scares me because the parts feel flimsy and easily breakable. But bottom line is that he's OK actually once assembled. The flimsy parts are some what not sticking out too much. But still, the build quality on him is lower than TFC Hercules.

Articulation wise, they both have a wide range. Both are equally incredibly articulated really and can do pretty much all the poses you try to give them. They are perfecly balanced, and got nice clicking joints on pretty much every parts. Unfortunately, TFC Hercules lose points for some of the joints that became incredibly loose. The rotation Joints on mine has gotten really loose. For Example: his right arm (Neck Breaker) can barely hold the gun anymore cuz his elbow joint is really loose now (neck breaker's waist). I persoanlly think it sucks bad 'cuz now I've hinder quite a lot of poses I wanted to put him.

Speaking of joints, lets give a special mention to the connectors. The joints that connects and holds each limbs together. I LOVE Maketoys Yellow Giant's connectors, they have locks on them to hold tighter the limbs together, whether its an arm or a leg, all limbs are locked to each others and there is no way to separate them unless you release the locks. TFC Hercules has the simple "Universe" locks which is a simple pressure locks which is not very solide in my opinion. while you rotate an arm, the lock can release itself too easily. a problem that Maketoys Yellow Giant doesnt have.

And a final note on the Options, Guns & items of each of them. Every guns from the single robots of TFC Hercules combines and makes a giant rifle. I personally think that the assembly was a bit to tight and the final look is rather... meh. But on the other hand, you can be creative and make your own guns. Add to that a second version of each guns in a clear red color and you can make a lot of different guns and addons. Personally I really dont like the clear red guns, but its nice they added them. As for Maketoys Yellow Giant guns' it is made of 4 guns combined that makes a Huge canon rifle. Maketoys Yellow Giant's gun is a bit bigger than TFC Hercules's one... and since Maketoys Yellow Giant is smaller, his gun looks more imposing when he has it in his hand. On the down side, the way that the gun is assembled, makes it bend in the middle, so the tip of the gun goes down. The problem here is the lock, the tab holding the gun straight is loose, it doesnt hold it too tight and the gun can bend in two just by looking at it. I easily fixed the problem by turning the tip of the gun upside down. it doesnt look too good but it hold the barrel staight at least and there is no way the barrel falls upward. See the images:

The chest shield is an important piece for Devastator's trademark. TFC Hercules's chest shiled is pretty nice, it's made of 3 parts, wings and middle piece. All pieces locks good on the chest and feels solid. As for Maketoys Yellow Giant, the chest shield is a single piece that is also used as a hand shield for the single robots. The middle part has a handle to be held by a single robot, the problem is that handle sorta gets in the way once you place the shiled on Maketoys Yellow Giant chest. There is 2 tabs on the wings that plugs into the chest, but even tho the shield is held good on the chest, looking at the tab, they barely look into the sockets and doesnt feel to be held too solid.

Finally the forearms of Maketoys Yellow Giant can be used as trailers in vehicles mode but also in robot mode can be used as jet pack for Mixer which is pretty nice, finally all pieces has a purpose. But Obviously TFC Hercules doesnt have such because the forearms are made from the threads of Neck Breaker & Exgraver which I thinkg is a marvelous way to use the transformation.

Recap Winners
Size: TFC Hercules
Quality: TFC Hercules
Looks: Maketoys Yellow Giant but TFC's going to need a rematch once his add-on comes out
Articulation: TIE
Overall Transformations of all the robots: Maketoys Yellow Giant
Overall Look of all the single robots: TIE
Overall Look of all the single Vehicles: Maketoys Yellow Giant
Total Price: Maketoys Yellow Giant

Now I dunno really much else to say about these 2. They both are GREAT figures... if you have the budget I'd really say to get them both. And to those that cant afford them both, I'd say to rob a bank and get them both afterward... But if I'd really have to choose between the two I'd go for Maketoys Yellow Giant, he's a little bit cheaper by a few hundreds dollars. The look of the single robots and complexity of transformations makes Maketoys Yellow Giant a really fun toy, but you need to be careful with it because he is much more flimsy than TFC Hercules

Still I personally consider this face off as a Tie. Both are incredibly Great set of figures.

Last edited by Slave; 06-16-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: updated my images
Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
Slave: Your review is much more refined from what I've seen so far with others. Why not put a video?
I did a very few Video reviews and didnt liked it too much... My spoken english aint too good (I'm french). And all of my reviews never really had any feedbacks or comments... so... meh... not for me... I'm better at writing anyway ;-)

PS: dont mind the missing image, my host is down at the moment... should come bck later... otherwise I'd reupload someplace else
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

Thanks! This sold me 100% on Hercules. Hopefully I can get one at a decent price at TFCon.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #25
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave View Post
I did a very few Video reviews and didnt liked it too much... My spoken english aint too good (I'm french). And all of my reviews never really had any feedbacks or comments... so... meh... not for me... I'm better at writing anyway ;-)

PS: dont mind the missing image, my host is down at the moment... should come bck later... otherwise I'd reupload someplace else
Most reviewers talk funny, kinda like listening to those fanboys who hang out in little toy stores without buying anything. Like that scenario, I'm just interested in the toy.

Another way is to write your review on the video itself. I prefer that format.

That's also a nice pic of Maketoys Stumpy. Leaning back like that.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #26
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

thanks, this really reaffirmed my decision to buy hercules, i was debating on giant, but the negatives really outweigh the positives for me

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

First, thanks for the comparison review. It was informative and entertaining, and I appreciate you taking the time to do this for everyone.

I have a couple of comments. I only have Hercules, so I can't compare them.

I was a little surprised Madblender and Mixer were a tie. Madblender was in my top two of the Hercules guys and you could hear the fanboy glee in the air when I transformed him for the first time. I felt they nailed everything right in updating Mixmaster, and to have all the possibilities with the weaponized barrel was icing on an already great cake.

(Then again, I thought Dr. Crank, the not-Hook, was the other standout for me, and he was a tie too.)

I would love to see a photo or diagram of the connectors on Giant because that sounds fascinating. I did think you sold Hercules' a little short because those things are solid. They're like HasTak's only in appearance because these things required some force to connect and I haven't had even the slightest hint of an unintentional disconnection. I pose him. I carry him around. I think it's the most solid combiner I own.

Not a comment on your review specifically, but I won't be getting the TFC upgrade. I personally really like the way they made the treads into what was the launcher/fist holders on G1 Devastator. I think it's elegant and a clever update to something that required extra parts on the original. I don't really want to...add extra parts to something I originally saw as a kludge, and an unattractive one at that. I'm glad TFC is making the kit for fans for whom that's important, but I am personally quite happy with the design as it is now.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Yes, photos of the connectors. Please.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

Cool, tonight I'll make the Connector's photos and indepth descriptions about them. As for the connector to TFC Hercs, it happened often that, while posing him around, the connectors, specially when rotating the limbs, disconnected the limbs on Hercs. Int not very much, but still somewhat irritates me a little bit. specially the legs on my Herc.

As for the Crane & Blender... why the tie? Yes TFC Herc's Blender is just down right awesome with the mixer making a gazillion weapons and all... but personally, he looks kinda fugly with all the weapons mounted on him... its nit picking, but compared to Maketoy's Mixer, they share quite a lot of ressemblance, the both have big empty calfs made out of the cab... I personally dont like the empty part but it's not much. then they both have the blender barrel in the back but Herc barrel makes lotsa weapons, while Maketoy on the other hand, even with the barrel stuck on his back, he doesnt look to have a big ass back pack... he looks quite good in fact with the barrel in the back... I think its friggin awesome. other robots has huge back pack and I complain a lot about it... but this one... I was expecting a big ass back pack, and turns out, it's not even a big deal. I also like the fact that Maketoy's Mixer can pose the forearms trailers on the barrel and it makes him a nice jet pack... so between Herc's blender with full of weapons, and Maketoy's Mixer with a jet pack... I cant decide... those figures are the strong points of the individuals bots.

Pretty much the same goes for the Dr.Crank & Crane... but these 2 looks so much alike downright to their almost the same transformation... Herc's Crank has a much better crane arm... yeah sure... BUT it's also huge and heavy, which for the individual robot Dr.Crank has lots trouble holding it, and Herc's giant mode, the crane on the shoulder is too big in my opinion and sticks way too long in the back. as for Maketoy's Crane, altho he has same transformation and all, his crane is a lot more slimer, smaller, but its also a bit more flimsy and stuck to his arm. But also once in giant mode, the cran can bend in the back and thats a big positive for me... so on one side you have 2 great figures, with little + and - about each... one has an awesome crane but its too big, the other has a smaller and a crane that bends in 2, but its flimsy and attached to his arm... I gave those a tie for these reason...

Also worth mentioning that now that I've played a lot more with both Hercs and Giant, the fight between Dr.Crank & Crane, I kinda love a bit more Maketoy's Crane. Here's a few more details why: Dr.Crank has them by connectors you have to open to put into Chest mode, these connectors, I dunno about you, but mines are friggin' hard to take out and I need a knife or something pointy to take them out of their sockets... also, there's so many of them, you only use 4 but there's like 8 of them connectors on him... I'm used to it now, but the first couple of times, I never knew which one to take out. On Maketoy's Crane, none of that exists... I like that a lot. He has 2 tiny doors to lift up and you plug in the arm connectors in them, thats it... and there's no need for connectors underneath him. And a final nit picking reason: Herc's head rest on a tiny flap that supposedly hold the front and back end of the truck together to make the chest... that flap never stays on and I need to always press on the head again and again for that flap to tab in and holds both end together... on maketoy it's a little hook that holds these parts together, and dammit, that hook hold in place quite tightly... its even hard to untab that hook to split the 2 end apart. I like it... it feels more secure.

but yes, I admit I should've talked about those connectors... I'll do tonight once I'm back from work

Last edited by Slave; 06-18-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

So here's the photos of the connectors I was talking about

Here you can see one of the legs, both are identical really...

For the legs, there are "clips on the knees which, when inserted into the legs, Locks into place, once in there, it's locked for good. The only way you can separated them afterwards, is to press on each side of Mixer's connector, there are "press buttons", and this unlocks the knee connector... it's the same for the other leg.

As for the arms, it's a Tad Different, here we see the connector from the shoulder and the hole into Crane to insert it. (with the secret door opened). Notice the pins on the shoulder connector, those will lock inside Crane's hole.

But for the pins of the shoulder to slide in, you need to press the lock mechanism on the back of Crane. see the image below:

Once you press one of those buttons (if you insert left arm, press left button), you can slide the arms into the hole and then you release the back button and the arm is locked tight in it. The arms wont get out of there unless you either didnt slide it in completely (which is easy to see since the arms will pretty much fall off) or you are pressing the release lock button in the back.

Personally I think this mechanism is pretty awesome. Its the little things that makes the difference.

On Hercules, all connectors are the same sorta Hexagonal pin that is held by a "pressed" plug... like the inside of the hole will have a "softer" plastic that will hold the hexagonal grove of the knob... not sure if I'm explaining this clearly... like the tip of the hexagonal pin is wider than the rest... well the soft plastic will press onto the rest and since the tip is wider, it is held in place. My problem with this is when you rotate the limbs, the "soft plastic" tends to let go of the hold it has on the pin... and the thing just pops out very easily.

Anyway, hope I shed more lights on this ;-)

Tags
maketoys giant, review, slave, tfc hercules