Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #11
Xtreme987
Metroplex
Re: Too many TF toy lines? Which do you collect?

Mainly Studio Series & Generations now. I am a 50% G1 fan & 50% Bay-verse fan so that is why I collect what I collect. I used to collect some Cyberverse but they look to kiddy & gimicky for me nowadays. I also used to collect some 3rd party but there way too expensive. Yes, it does get overwhelming after a while so I take a break & continue when I am ready. Yes, I do feel the market is a little over-saturated but it's not just TF's. All toy lines get that way. Some more than others tho.

Last edited by Xtreme987; 06-24-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:34 PM   #12
MahtimusPrime09
Shut up, Rattrap
MahtimusPrime09's Ebay Auctions

Which line(s) do you collect? and why that/those over the other lines?
My collecting has honestly been slower these days but it’s basically been mostly Studio Series. Love the line, finally giving us those which we’ve been wanting for a long while. Also a big Generations collector. Started my collection with the line in fact. But the relatively recent price hike has gotten me to contemplate the worthiness of the line to my budget and wallet. I know Studio Series has also seen the increase in price, but I’ve been getting movie figures I’ve never had. With Generations I can’t help but question if I would rather have an MP version eventually when I can afford more MPs. That leads me to my next collecting line: MPs. I only have 8-10 but I’m slowly building what is going to be a beautiful collection. I have a sealed Prime/Beast Hunters set. It’s mostly complete, but I’m still hunting for a few more goodies, mostly Arms Micron but a few Hasbro Prime figures as well. One of the biggest lines I’ve been loving to collect more recently has been Kreons from the Kre-O line. Love those Lego lookalikes! Otherwise, a bunch of odds and ends that can be considered lines, like the TCG set, other trading card sets, books/novels, comic books, cars/die-cast vehicles and posters/artwork among other things.

Huge collection or carefully curated selection?
I’d have to say it’s closer to huge than curated. But on a side note I’m not sure what number makes a collection huge. My count is over 350 but less than 400 figures if I’m not mistaken. Based on what I mentioned above, it’s probably closer to huge. On another note, the collection hunt used to be “get everything and anything”. Now it’s a tiny bit curated in that it isn’t that.

If you collect multiple lines does it ever get overwhelming?
I wouldn’t say it’s overwhelming, but it can be a case of not knowing what to choose given the many choices and the limited budget. That part can be a pain as it restricts what can be obtained, and given the collecting spectrum being wide, it can sometimes lead to wondering if the right buying decision was made. Even though any purchase decision is the right decision in that I’m always happy to add to my collection.

Have you ever stopped collecting a line as a result?
I’ve never really actually stopped collecting a line in general so the answer to that question is no. Although I must say the price hike has led to me buying less figures and buying less frequently. Hopefully more sales arrive in the future. Or better yet, an extremely unlikely price drop occurs, but obviously that is near impossible.

Do you feel the market is over-saturated with all these options?
I’m not sure if I can say it’s over-saturated based on its situation. So much of Transformers toys have their place in retail with TRU, Amazon, Walmart, etc. So lots of what kids, some teenagers and some adults collect is found there. But so much high end, expensive stuff is not found there and instead in hobby stores and online. So in a way it’s spread out but with so many choices within these venues, I guess it’s a lot. Not that I’m complaining.

So there you go. Sorry for the rambling. Hope you enjoyed my thoughts/insight.

My Sales Thread
My Want List
My Collection
My Feedback Page

Last edited by MahtimusPrime09; 06-25-2020 at 02:01 AM.
MahtimusPrime09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:29 AM   #13
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

Just CHUG & equivalent and MPs based on G1. I'm not too into the Bayverse movie stuff but there are exceptions. SS38 Prime is a good example of that.
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
Pascal
Banned

-Studio Series
-Masterpiece
-anything Optimus or that interacts with Optimus
-plus some cool random pieces like ER Skylynx, Scorponok, Siege Omega, etc.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
Studio series, mainline/generations/crossovers, cyberverse, master piece, 3rd party lines... the list of toy lines/makers covering Transformer in all their various scales and styles is pretty big.

Few questions below, just curious, answer as many or as few as you please. I like other collectors insights.
No line, I go by the figure.

I'd say large, but I've been collecting more than just TFs and for over 45 years. So it's both as after so many years, it does accumulate, and that even if I don't buy for the heck of buying but I do select those that appeal to me.

Unless you're a completist, there's no reason to be overwhelmed

If a line proves to be cheap and have a bad design/engineering, if I bought a few and was disappointed, then yes I would have.

Since so many jumped on the bandwagon of being part of the "geek" click because it became "chic" to be part of it, it has it's good and bad side.

Good that there is so much more options out there and it created a push for new 3rd parties to up the ante for quality, variation, and such.

Bad because at the same time, these aren't as much "for kids" as Hasbro and others know that the adult collector "geeks" have far more disposable income, and more prone to buying a lot more than the standard "mom and dad" for the kids' birthdays and such... and this has driven prices up greatly.

If anything, I'd add one more two-part question:

*Do you get frustrated and over what?
That would be yes, and that's for multiple reasons:

1) due to lack of distribution and low numbers that results in missing out on some figures (this includes the "exclusives"), and then they become overpriced as rarity and scalping drives the prices up...

2) quality, one figure from a line can be great, good plastic, good design, then another is cheap crappy plastic, bad design.. flaws, parts breaking easily, and so on.

3) increases of prices, some figures full of gaps, and lacking of accessories.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 06-25-2020 at 11:09 AM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #16
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

G1
MP
Botbots at random

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #17
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

> Which line(s) do you collect? and why that/those over the other lines?
I'm a G1er by age, so I collect original NA G1 (I include G1 reissues in that - I just care to have one version of a character/mold, I don't look for variations). I also still have my NA Beast Wars collection, and TF Animated collection.

For current toy-lines with new stuff coming out, I collect CHUG/Generations and official Masterpiece.

I've been tempted by the cool toys of Studio Series (like Devastator) but I've stayed out of it since I don't really like the movies and the expense of Generations and MP is already straining things.

I usually buy every CHUG release and have in the last two years been selling older molds of characters with newer molds since they've been consistently better, but this year may be the first year I look at it more carefully. I'm not sure if I should even pick up Arcee, as I'm pretty happy with the headmaster Arcee (since I have fond memories of Rebirth, even if T30 Arcee is better).

I stopped buying 3P MPs due to cost and too many options. I basically checked out of 3P after MP Shockwave and MP Megatron 2.0. I had the 3P molds that seemed "perfect" at the time, but they ultimately were nowhere near as accurate or fun to transform as a TT release, so it was a good time to save some money and stop. There are so many nice 3P sometime I regret it, but I need to draw a line.

> Huge collection or carefully curated selection?
Not as big as it used to be. My G1, BW and Animated collections are basically complete, but CHUG/Generations is now actively being trimmed to only one version of each character and if a better version comes out, I sell the old one. I used to keep every version, but it's nuts for space and fun - I still play with my CHUG toys with my kids! Ever since CW, CHUG toys have been very playable with children.

Actually I like the Prime Wars trilogy so much, I still keep all my headmaster, prime master and combiner figures even though there may be superior versions (I'm looking at the multiple Optimus Primes I still have because of that, even if they are in storage). That may change soon.

I have also been thinking of trimming my BW collection to show-only characters, not because I dislike the toys, but for space reasons. With Scorponok and Sky Lynx coming out this year, I'm not sure if I have space to display them in my display shelves without selling stuff to make room.

> If you collect multiple lines does it ever get overwhelming?
The price jump for Seige really made collecting overwhelming. I'm trying to get stuff on sale more, particularly Wave 1, which is always overstocked.

Collecting CHUG and MP can be a little overwhelming when there are too many MP releases and prices have jumped like crazy. As has been the stress of picking the best 3P MP release when I looked at those. MP's have been a bit sparse recently, to my relief.

> Have you ever stopped collecting a line as a result?
I stopped collecting 3P MP due to being overwhelmed. I also stopped collecting RID 2.0 after starting collecting them (continuing from TF Prime) because the mold quality was too random to know which version of a character to get, and so many characters skipped, plus US vs Japan releases.

> Do you feel the market is over-saturated with all these options?
I think having three lines right now (SS, Cyberverse/current kid-oriented show, Generations) is surprising for someone who was used to one line at a time on the shelves until the Bayverse movies. Although I guess I'm ignoring when they had the Universe line of repaints on based on TFCC stuff since I never bought any of them.

I'm not sure if it's oversaturated since each one has a very different goal and audience to me. I'm definitely surprised there is support from the buying public for three mainstream lines at once.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #18
TRUCKvsGUN

I organize my current purchases around 3 themes, two of which are lines:
  • Masterpiece - G1 and BW - They look great on the shelf and feel like the logical progression from my childhood transforming
  • Generations - I go all in. With every new Generations line, I ask myself if I will continue, but I feel like they just keep getting better and better, with Earthrise topping everything that came to retail before it.
  • Optimus Primes - I collect OP's from justabout every line, and many 3P companies. It's a freer style of collecting that sidesteps the complete-the-line compulsion.

I mainly collect two lines, getting justbout everything in them, and justabout nothing from every other line. To me, that feels like curation, but my wife might disagree.

Now and then when I haven't had time for the hobby, the boxes of recent purchases can start stacking up and that can be a headache. That's more about volume of toys than number of lines, though.

I haven't stopped collecting anything due to a sense of being overwhelmed, but I did decide I just wasn't feeling the movie stuff anymore, put most of that stuff on the block, and skipped Studio Series. I still have my Human Alliance cars and DOTM Mechtech collections, which I consider the best of that era and style.

Not with official stuff, no. I feel like Habro's separate lines are unique enough that they cater to different tastes and budgets, and I appreciate that variety of choice.

The 3PG1MP scene has gotten out of hand, though, and I've largely stepped away of it. I'd rather wait for the official representation of a character, imperfections and all, than be comparing unofficial offerings every few months and asking myself which is slightly better.

I would like to cut back on repaints of the same character, though. I know I don't need 4 Siege Megatrons, but I keep thinking "what if I wanna do a G2 or Netflix display later".

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime

Last edited by TRUCKvsGUN; 06-26-2020 at 02:14 AM.
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 AM   #19
alternatorfan
g1 baby

How many people have all 27 alternators??
I have em all.
Not counting binaltech.
I made sure, I got all of them.
Those are my masterpieces....lol
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #20
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post
How many people have all 27 alternators??
I have all of them including the Binaltech versions. It's probably my favorite line. Even the MPs don't have detailed interiors, opening doors, trunks, hoods and wheels that turn in tandem with the steering wheel. And it still transforms! I do wish they'd bring this series back. I'd buy new ones in a heartbeat. (Alternity doesn't count because it's a different scale)
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote