Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Poho
Generation 2
Tax Returns, What the Hell?

This past year, i made $15,000 or so, and had about $550 deducted for taxes. I was able to claim my tuition fees for last year as well, $2,300. Why the hell is my tax return on $150? My understanding is that you don't get taxed if you make less then $20-22,000 a year...but apparently even with my tuition and other tax credits, I owed the government $400 of tax, meaning I only got $150 back. How the fuck does that work? How are they allowed to collect tax from students way below the Canadian Poverty line?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Xbox Live: Mr Poho
Poho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Re: Tax Returns, What the Hell?

Maybe I can help, I do my own taxes each year and hopefully have a handle on some of this

Your basic tax exemption(if thats the right term) is only $9600. Basically if you made less than $9600 dollars you don't have to pay tax. The poverty line has no bearing.

A good rule of thumb if your in the lowest tax bracket would be to make sure 15% of your income is taken for taxes. It's not 100% accurate, but its a close, ballpark figure.

Basically your being taxed on $3100 of your income if you made $15,000. Going by my rough 15% ratio you would owe $450 dollars or so. They deducted $550 dollars, thus you get the difference back, in your case I guess $150 dollars or so.

The lowest bracket is generally that easy and the numbers you gave look right from my experience.(I've been doing my own taxes for like 17 years).

Now thats not to say that the tax collectors aren't bad people or that they don't take too much money, but your numbers look right to me in simplistic form.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Poho
Generation 2

well, that makes sense then i guess. it's still totally gay though.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Xbox Live: Mr Poho
Poho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Jeepmanhastj
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poho View Post
well, that makes sense then i guess. it's still totally gay though.

Even better is that if you find a way to make money and think you can keep it away from the CRA (ie not pay taxes on it) and they find out about this loophole (whatever it may be) CRA will not only tax it immediately for everyone but will go back for as long as you were doing it and tax you retroactively.
They make up rules for whatever they want and for as far back as they want.

Be glad they took enough off your paychqs
and you get some back. Most people have to pay taxes.

You could always save income for when you aren't working(retirement or non-work year) by deferring it to an RSP. then you get that credit at year end.
They're good to take out when your yearly income is at it's lowest (lower tax bracket too)
Once you're making the big bucks later on, paying out the 30% plus taxes - put some away. You'll 1) get a tax break at yr end and 2) The more you put away the less years you'll have to work before retiring.

You can see what your RSP eligibility is on your tax return confirmation.
Jeepmanhastj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I am not sure why it is 'totally Gay'?

At least you got a tax return...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Tiamat

Feel better- mine was about 90 bucks.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Agent-GHQ

This is why I'd prefer to get paid under the table while in college. But you didn't hear this from me.
Agent-GHQ is offline   Reply With Quote