Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
The things I'll do to save $30...

...soooo, $30 is $30, so I'm going to try to get Walmart to pricematch my AOE Leader Grimlock. I don't know how the sale flyer from TRU passed me by, but I read it today, and the sale ends tomorrow.

I dug and dug and DUG..couldn't find the damn receipt for my Grimlock. He's still unopened (I know, I'm brutal), so I'll have no problem returning him or getting the refund pricematch, as long as the Walmart employee is ok with it. They tend to have the easiest return policies, but Target is quite good as well. Anything within 90 days, unopened, is a shoe-in.

But you think I can find the receipt? NOPE...so I'm thinking Walmart won't do it this time around. Not only that, there's no TRU locally, and the online store doesn't sell him. Bottom line, they know I won't return him for a sale that I can't take advantage of (in reality). But it's $30, and 30 bucks is 30 bucks

RAPID UPDATE: thanks to a post here, I now know for certain that it's over 90 days...but I'm going to try anyway! HUZZAH!

So I'll let you know how it goes!

My lesson: (man, who knew TF would learn ya so many lessons): don't buy stuff that's widely available too soon. I knew this. Then I got cold feet and pulled the trigger on him full price because he was a bit tough to find in the beginning. And who knows, I may have just passed the 90 day mark. In any case: clearances happen. Push it later and take advantage of the sale, because that money can just go into more TFs that you want.

Last edited by CanBot; 10-23-2014 at 12:59 AM.
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
Xtreme987
Metroplex
Re: The things I'll do to save $30...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
...soooo, $30 is $30, so I'm going to try to get Walmart to pricematch my AOE Leader Grimlock. I don't know how the sale flyer from TRU passed me by, but I read it today, and the sale ends tomorrow.

I dug and dug and DUG..couldn't find the damn receipt for my Grimlock. He's still unopened (I know, I'm brutal), so I'll have no problem returning him or getting the refund pricematch, as long as the Walmart employee is ok with it. They tend to have the easiest return policies, but Target is quite good as well. Anything within 90 days, unopened, is a shoe-in.

But you think I can find the receipt? NOPE...so I'm thinking Walmart won't do it this time around. Not only that, there's no TRU locally, and the online store doesn't sell him. Bottom line, they know I won't return him for a sale that I can't take advantage of (in reality). But it's $30, and 30 bucks is 30 bucks

RAPID UPDATE: thanks to a post here, I now know for certain that it's over 90 days...but I'm going to try anyway! HUZZAH!

So I'll let you know how it goes!

My lesson: (man, who knew TF would learn ya so many lessons): don't buy stuff that's widely available too soon. I knew this. Then I got cold feet and pulled the trigger on him full price because he was a bit tough to find in the beginning. And who knows, I may have just passed the 90 day mark. In any case: clearances happen. Push it later and take advantage of the sale, because that money can just go into more TFs that you want.
Yup .... time is money saved ... especially when your talking about when TF's go on sale/clearance. I learned this lesson the hard way myself recently as well.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

You should be able to take it back to Walmart even without the receipt. I think the problem you might have is doing the price match. In my experience Walmart employees can be EXTREMELY obtuse when it comes to this; more than once when attempting a price (last time was with Gen Sandstorm) match I've gotten the "It's not the same one as the picture" excuse, despite the text saying that ALL voyagers were on sale.
I had to resort to going back to the toy aisle and bringing the price tag that said he was a voyager class figure up to the customer service desk to get them to do it!

Sure they'll price match, but sometimes you really have to fight them for it!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

In my experiences with Walart, it's better to just buy the toy at the reduced price at TRU and to return the one bough at Walmart. I'll save you tons of aggravation.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
python
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
In my experiences with Walmart, it's better to just buy the toy at the reduced price at TRU and to return the one bough at Walmart. I'll save you tons of aggravation.
THIS!
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Normally I'd agree too, but he said there is no local TRU where he lives.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
CanBot
Cybertron

True, no TRU close by. That's why I figured they'd balk, knowing that I'd keep the item in any case (well, they don't know that, lol). I'm off to try now.

The person on the phone said I have to do it this way: I have no receipt, but the item is sealed. So all I can get is store credit. That's fine, but there's more: even if I had a receipt, they wouldn't pricematch it. They only price match their OWN sales by 30 days (pretty long, actually, compared to some). So, I have to return mine, get an instore credit, buy the last one they have left (hope it's not beat to hell), and buy it at the sale price for TRU (for which I have printed out the exact same item).

So it's more like $20, but hey...that might pay for a Skrapnel. I don't mind the credit, but maybe the salesperson will miss that and just give me cash back. I've got only a few more hours to do this; off I go!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
steamwhistle
Crossover

Couldn't you buy the one you return? (To avoid getting one that is "beat to hell") or, are they required to keep it in their return pile for a while?
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

If I buy a figure I don't plan on opening anytime soon (Hello Leader Jetfire, you look so pretty in the box) I fold and tuck the receipt into one of the flaps just above the tape to avoid that lost receipt issue. We'll see what I decide to do when the Takara Leader Jetfire comes out in December before my 90 days is up.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
CanBot
Cybertron

Well, it all went well. Got the store credit, difference of $28 after tax, zero hassles.

It's a bit of a crapshoot with waiting for a sale, however...the movie bots though, seem to be a safe enough bet to wait for a clearance. There always seemed to be a sale, just nothing for what I was interested in buying. Always keep that receipt just in case, as you can still return opened items within that 90 days. And they even let me keep my original Grimlock, didn't have to swap it out for the one they had in stock.

I've never gotten a deal like this on any of my previous leaders from the movie lines, and I'm glad as Grimlock is a little smaller than the others in the class. Movie leaders are my thing, and I hope we see a return to the size and detail of the previous movies.

On a side note, I bought and returned Leader Gen Jetfire, because while I thought he looked cool (and was cool!), it really didn't fit into my criteria that I established a while back. If I stick with Leader class guys, there's more coming in the Gen line...guys I don't really have any connection to, and will be compulsive buys (no matter how cool they are). With all the cool Generations stuff coming out in the new year, however, that'll be tough to do! But I gotta keep it to a few lines, or else my basement is going to get pretty full.