Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Alphatron
Generation 1
The Scalper Annoyance Thread

So many of us fellow collectors have ended up expressing our disregard for the various scalpers in our areas on the sightings forum many, many times. With the large amounts, I figured we start a thread just for this, a place where our rants can find a "home", if you will. Curious to see what stories and experiences you guys have come across with your region of scalpers, but I'll start off w/ a story of my own.

So i was at the Vic Park and Danforth Target, looking for the Windblade wave, and sure enough, I found at least 3 of each of the figures in the wave (plus a tankor as well.) Seeing how there were so many left, I finished up a few errands I had in Target, to save some time. But by the time I come back, EVERY SINGLE FIGURE from her wave was gone, and just as I was about to leave the store to my car, I saw the guy loading his car with his "newfound haul"

Kind of sickly to see such disconsideration for fellow consumers. But enough about my rant, what are some of your stories/experiences?
Alphatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: The Scalper Annoyance Thread

You can't assume he was a scalper. Maybe he's getting them for himself and two friends. Happens here all the time, people picking up multiples for fellow boardies.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
CBII
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
You can't assume he was a scalper. Maybe he's getting them for himself and two friends. Happens here all the time, people picking up multiples for fellow boardies.
I half agree with that...scapling happens.

But fellow board members chovner, STI 2NV and I buy in multiples of 3 all the time depending on who finds what first. Call me a scapler in a parking lot and it'll get ugly.

Generally I'd say it's scalping but not always....
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
elburrito
Animated

I think scalping is a fact of life in a capitalist economy. I once looked into whether I could make a living buying and selling "stuff", not just transformers. Have to say, the profit margins would have been VERY narrow. Nobody likes to think that someone bought up all the good toys and is now going to jack the prices. On the other hand, that way of making a living would be tough and everyone of us who does not depend on another for his or her income i.e., an employer, I think strengthens the country as a whole. In the end, I am torn.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

after work one day i made my rounds to all the shops that sell tfs in my area. I hit the target at the burlington mall first and thought i was being followed. next was the target on appleby and I saw a familiar face on the way out, it was a scalper duo that many in the area have seen before. I went to the tru up the street next and who did i see on my way out from the TF section? why it was the same scalper pair that was actually running to the tf section and wizzed right by me and they also were right behind me at the walmart across the street. There was nothing new at any of these locations but it was stil annoying as hell to have these nutjobs on my ass every step of the way. Ive actually taken stuff out of their carts if they have beaten me to the shop and loaded thier carts with all of the hot items or every figure when they were on for 10 for deluxes or 15 for voyagers. they used to get booths at the local toy shows but now i think they are strictly ebay or kijiji.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Alphatron
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
I saw the guy post it on kijiji a few days later in the same area, and when i went to check it out, same guy. Buying multiple for boardies is respectful, but selling for an obnoxious overprice, meh not so much
Alphatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I personally buy multiples of my figures. 1 to play with/display and one to leave in package. I also buy for a bunch of friends and boardies here but charge what I paid for the figure and they do the same for me too. the stores around here know me and that I am not a scalper but a collector and that I buy for a bunch of other people, that is different from scalping which is wrong and they should be spit on if they are scalpers...chant "shame shame shame" when you see them and make them wear the scarlet "S"
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Some days I wish these "scalpers" would buy up all our stuff in the sales threads...the prices are good for them and it would fill our pockets with cash for new schtuff
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
Some days I wish these "scalpers" would buy up all our stuff in the sales threads...the prices are good for them and it would fill our pockets with cash for new schtuff
I'd go for that lol
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

It can be a problem no doubt.

But often times I feel like it is a make believe boogeyman that gets blamed for something not being on the shelf.

If you see a new, high demand item that you want on the shelf - buy it. Don't leave it there and go back later

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote