Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker
Re: Hi, I was directed here from Reddit with some questions since I'm Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
Thanks for all the great replies. When you said Starscream went back to the smaller missiles in later series do you mean later releases of the Starscream reissue from Walmart or are you talking about G2 and up?
No, I meant that the later commemorative releases of other figures had the original sized missiles they would normally come with but only in black plastic. Ex: Sideswipe, Perceptor, Bluestreak, Prowl, etc.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transfor...orative_Series

I believe Starscream was only ever released again in the US with that recent Walmart release, same long missiles sadly.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
chaingunsofdoom
Wrecker

All the Amazon accounts should be linked. Click their EN button (which is in a different location depending on Browser vs mobile) and things will be more readable in English.
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:40 AM   #13
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here

Thanks!

If I may ask one more question, which Hotrod/Rodimus Prime version would I get if I wanted the one with the improved quality control, and the trailer? Official obviously, not a KO.

Thanks!

Edit: BTW, do you need a certain post count for your avatar to show up? Or maybe be a member for a certain amount of time?
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 AM   #14
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

Quote:
Thanks!

If I may ask one more question, which Hotrod/Rodimus Prime version would I get if I wanted the one with the improved quality control, and the trailer? Official obviously, not a KO.

Thanks!

Edit: BTW, do you need a certain post count for your avatar to show up? Or maybe be a member for a certain amount of time?
Are we talking MP-09, or MP-28/40?

MP-09 is the one with the Rodimus Prime mode/winnebago. Hasbro and Takara did very different decoes on it (plus Takara's has the trailer) - as I understand it the second run of the Takara version had far less QC issues (I have a first run one but I got lucky.) Having both versions I definitely dig the Takara one more, but I don't know what the aftermarket will be like. Ideally you'd want one from the second production run.

MP-28 is the newer mold, and just has the Hot Rod botmode - overall it's a decent toy, but on the first version at least it came out at a period in time when Takara was having issues with chrome longevity (so you may want to clearcoat the chrome on him.) There's an MP-40 reissue of the mold in different colors (based on the badly colored AKOM model from Rebirth, IIRC) that comes with his targetmaster.

As for which version of the mold to get, it's important to note that MP09 is sized more skewing towards the Rodimus Prime scale - he's pretty much the height of MP-10. MP28 is closer to Hot Rod's relative size. There's also a big price difference because of that trailer. I'd personally recommend MP-28 over MP-09 purely because overall it's a better built toy that's more straightforward to transform/something you can mess with without being as afraid of breaking something. MP40 is more of an acquired taste given that while the deco is GORGEOUS it's also based on his colors in a particular set of G1 episodes by the bad animation studio.

I know there's a bunch of people who are aiming to get the FansToys one, so you might be able to get a used MP-28 for a little less if the timing is right. And honestly the FT one does look like it has a more accurate botmode with less of a backpack in the initial pics (MP-28 has a bit of a backpack to him), though we'll see how it is as a toy when it comes out.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:06 AM   #15
RedCell
Generation 1

When it comes to getting MP Transformers (or any Japanese Transformers release), importing from Japan is definitely the way to go. Even if you factor in the shipping cost, you still come out ahead of any Canadian or US website.

The best place to get Transformers that are already released would be Mandarake:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/

They sell pre-owned items. But that does not mean they are opened and used. They have an excellent assortment of Transformers that are brand new and sealed in addition to stuff that have been opened and used. They are very clear on the condition of the item in the description. Mandarake has very high standards so even if the item is used, you would be hard pressed to find any difference between a new and used item.

The prices are also very fair. I sometimes pass on certain pre-orders and end up regretting it. When I end up buying it from Mandarake, it is often the MSRP price or perhaps even lower depending on the demand for that item.

If I have to pre-order, here are my go-to websites:

https://www.amiami.com/
https://hlj.com/

Both offer very good prices and shipping rates. However, they declare the full value of the item so if you buy something crazy expensive like MP Beast Wars Megatron, expect to pay very heavy duties on it when it passes through Canadian customs.

My personal go-to is Nippon Yasan:

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/

People often say the customer service for NY is not as good as Amiami and HLJ. I agree but NY offers a huge advantage since they automatically undervalue all items they ship. That Beast Wars Megatron is 28000 yen? Well, they will say the package is only worth 30 buck so you won't be charged any duties when it crosses Canadian customs. You just saved $50 in taxes.
RedCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here

Wow this is complicated. lol Lots of amazing info though.

I actually just read this post about a re-issue of the MP9 Convoy Hot Rod version with fixed knees that is supposed to be coming out around now as well. Have you guys heard about this? Is this real or fake? I mean the news. I hear it is an official Takara release, not a KO.

Here is the link.

https://www.seibertron.com/transform...te-2018/40972/

Thanks!

Edit: So if I understand right, only MP9 and the MP9 ver. 2.0 came with the back "convoy" part? Did the MP9 ver. 2.0 also have problems with its chrome? Also to confirm, MP9 and MP9 ver. 2.0 are about the size of the MP Optimus, where as the higher MP versions of the model don't come with the trailer, and the size is more along the lines for Hot Rod, not Rodimus Prime? I heard that one or both have some method of increasing his size through a clever method of colapsing the plastic parts down so they can be extended to increase his size. Do all the MP Hot Rods have this feature or only one, and if it is only one, which one has it?

I was wondering, I haven't seen a MP Galvatron yet. Has one not been released?

Also, is there a website that has a list, with pictures of each G1 MP release and how different versions of the same Transformer have changed from one to the other?

I heard there is a MP Devastator. Is it a G1 model? I think it is out of my price range anyways but I thought I'd ask. I'll probably just end up getting the reissue. I think I saw the MP one for something like $500 lol.

Lastly, will the chromed version of Megatron that is coming out have the same face and chest damage pieces from the movie like the older grey version or no? I love the chrome but Takara did such a great job on the look of G1 movie Megatron!

Thanks again. The other answers, and if I can get answers to these questions, will help me decide what I am shooting for. What would I want to have? One of every G1 in a mint unopened box, plus a mint figure to display and transform, and the same for the G1 MP line. Will I ever have that? Helllllllllll noooooooo. lol

Last edited by Darkmatter; 11-09-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Cause I ALWAYS forget stuff...
Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Also, is there a website that has a list, with pictures of each G1 MP release and how different versions of the same Transformer have changed from one to the other?
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_Masterpiece

Quote:
I heard there is a MP Devastator. Is it a G1 model? I think it is out of my price range anyways but I thought I'd ask. I'll probably just end up getting the reissue. I think I saw the MP one for something like $500 lol.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Devastator_(G1)

Search "Devastator (Gift Set, 2015)" on this page. Not a MP, just a Titan class fig from the Combiner Wars line.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #18
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here

Thanks.

Do you or anyone else know if the new MP Megatron coming out has the face and chest damage addons that came with the first grey Megatron?

Also, have you heard of an upcoming reissue of the MP Rodimus Prime with the trailer from Takara? I linked to the comment in my previous post.

If you haven't heard of such a release, do you know if the ver. 2 of the first MP Rodimus also had chrome problems or were they worked out by then?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:02 AM   #19
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Thanks.
Do you or anyone else know if the new MP Megatron coming out has the face and chest damage addons that came with the first grey Megatron?
No. It looks like he comes with 3 non-damaged faces with yellow eyes and a chest plate without the black swirls on it but no damage. Check the pics in that wiki article I linked earlier.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #20
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

One option if you want all the faces and chests, of course, is going with a KO of MP-36. I've got both the original and a knockoff - because the state of stuff produced in China is weird that way, there's actually a few DIFFERENT knockoffs of MP-36 that are all a lower price but of comparable build quality, with their own differences. (The one I got for instance has a more metallic finish as well as the toy head and swirl chest - this was before they announced the limited run version of the toy.)

Like, different people have different opinions when it comes to straight off knockoffs of HasTak figures where someone clearly stole the CAD files or the tooling. Generally I don't go in for straight up knockoffs but I do have a handful.

And yeah, as for an MP Devastator, there's a TakaraTomy version of the Titan-class figure that got a TON of tooling upgrades on account of them having a bigger budget + the designer at Takara personally wanting to make it as good as he could (given the odds of an MP one ever happening aren't that high). If you plan on keeping it in Devastator mode the changes aren't that big a deal, but if you want to have the individual Constructicons on display or have the eyes instead of the visor for combined mode it's one to consider. (Then there's me who got the Hasbro one for combined mode and the Takara ones for their robot modes...)

There's also a bunch of different third party Devastators to fill that void. 3P is a huge money sink if you aren't careful though. You get great stuff but you spend a lot getting it.