Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Longshot
Pretender
Perfect Effect DX-05 Leonidas: Beast Muscle

With the Canadian dollar so low, TF collectors have it rough for their hobby when they have to pay that much more to get an already expensive bot. So here I am sporting an expensive bot that cost that much more with the exchange rate. Fortunately, I was very happy with this acquisition.

As usual, the packaging is sturdy and nice with some really fancy artwork for the front of the packaging.

Leonidas (Lio Convoy) brings many accessories with him. The dual rifles can be adjusted to look like Optimus Prime's familiar ion blaster.
The swords are metal and have a nice heft to it.

Leonidas sports some wonderful detailing and design.

The bladed whip (also the tail for lion mode) can be conveniently folded behind the back skirt (butt plate?). The tip can also be disconnected to form a pair of daggers.

Once all the gear is mounted on Leonidas it really makes him look like a bot not to be messed with. PE did a great job integrating all his accessories on him and his alt mode.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Longshot
Pretender
Re: Perfect Effect DX-05 Leonidas: Beast Muscle

The lion head and the rest of the mane are connected via two racheted arms. They do not come off.

Leonidas is very poseable. Multiple ball joints, rachets and good distribution of die cast metal make for a highly poseable figure. Again, little details really make this figure. I was duly impressed with the knees when I went about posing the figure.
And moving aside the chest plates reveals the Matrix.

I have Leonidas posing beside a DX9 upgraded Megatron and a PE-DX03 EW upgraded Warden for a size comparison.

According to the Tuna Standard, Leonidas is a good-sized figure and made that much more weightier with the die cast metal on his legs, swords, forearms and shoulders.

His alt lion mode is definitely his weaker looking mode but still quite good nonetheless. What makes it weak is the lion head mane that I showed previously. Because they are attached the way they are, there are not too many poses you can strike while in his alt mode.
I posed Leonidas with a Zoids Mugen Liger and they do look comfortable with each other.
Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase and the exchange paid was worth the extra bit. I am very impressed with the attention to the detail, the materials used and the design of Leonidas. This bot definitely places in my personal top three for 2015 and forecast nothing knocking it out of its place.

Last edited by Longshot; 09-02-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast

From what continuity is this character? I'm assuming some beast wars neo or other Japanese cartoon, yes?

I do like your review, especially the size and tuna scale comparison. That is cheeky, but very helpful.

The figure looks very well done, but I can't justify the money that 3rd party toys usually cost. I understand why they are expensive, but I can't bring myself to do it.
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
dajoeker
Generation 1

Love this piece! I'm glad that I got him!
dajoeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Longshot
Pretender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jove View Post
From what continuity is this character? I'm assuming some beast wars neo or other Japanese cartoon, yes?

I do like your review, especially the size and tuna scale comparison. That is cheeky, but very helpful.

The figure looks very well done, but I can't justify the money that 3rd party toys usually cost. I understand why they are expensive, but I can't bring myself to do it.
Yes, Lio Convoy is from the Japanese anime Beast Wars II
Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Pascal
Banned

I got mine yesterday. It's certainly the most amazing looking POS ever. lol I'm never going to transform that thing again. The transformation is non-existent and nothing locks anywhere.

Last edited by Pascal; 01-24-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
Icepyk
Mini-Con

Where can I buy one?
Icepyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
BoNKerS
Animated

WOWZA!! Not many people selling these, even on eBay. I checked the completed listings and they are going for an ave. of $250-$260.

I hope you find one as this figure is truly one of my favs.

I enjoyed going through this review again Longshot!
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Longshot
Pretender

I didn't realize there were any additional comments until I jumped back on here. Anyhoo, I picked up the NEOARTTOYS NT MC EVA Leo (KO of Leonidas) and does it look spectacular with the Evangelion colours! As for the toy, everything is identical and the price is awesome ($85 USD). I don't normally indulge in the KOs but when I saw this I had to give it a try.
Now I'm looking forward to DX9's AncestRod to pair them up together.

Last edited by Longshot; 11-02-2017 at 01:57 PM.