Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #281
faustx
ShelfLife Founder
Re: ShelfLife Beta Test Announcement: Very Exciting Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
My post was further to my previous post, about Botcon sets, and how listing "instructions" five times was not very useful as it wasn't clear whose instructions are whose. Chris suggested listing them as "Instructions - Breakdown", "Instructions - Pyro", etc.

I was just saying the same thing should be done with tech/spec cards. "Tech/Spec Card - Breakdown", "Tech/Spec Card - Pyro"
Agreed, so it's the flag reporting tools on the product details pages you use to tell the curators there is an issue with the data. Thanks!

James
faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #282
juxtapose519
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustx View Post
Internet is my life. We're all over the browser stats:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

IE7 definitely below 4% at present. That being said, we'll try to support everything we can.
My bad, I should probably read. I thought we were talking about IE in general, not just 7.

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #283
MaP_Prime
Machine War

Quote:
Beast Wars has been claimed and is being set up by a curator. RID is not yet claimed...want to curate it?

James
It's tempting, but I'm not sure if I can devote a lot of time to it. I'm really busy in he final stages of my semester before Christmas and then I'm off home for a couple of weeks where I hope to get some of my own personal work done and see my family and friends. I'm not exaclty sure what is involved with being a curator, or how to even go about compiling a list of what toys were in the line, what accessories they had, ect. Though I'm still not ruling it out, just not sure if I can devote the right amount of time to it.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #284
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Just noticed shifting from buy to collect mode now doesn't change your view/category, it keeps you exactly where you are.

Which is great (as it was annoying having to click through the categories again), except when you click to "collect" mode, you get a message telling you that you're now in collect mode, but it still shows up ALL products (including those not flagged as "wants" or "haves".) just as if you're still in buy mode.

Not sure this was intentional, seems like a side effect, so I wanted to point it out.

Also, while I like the feature above, I would suggest some kind of splash page for "buy" and "collect" for use when clicking either option from the main splash page. Currently from the main splash page clicking either button tells you "you're in "X" mode" but it doesn't change the main page at all, which might lead some people to erroneously think it didn't work.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #285
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
p.s. Not sure where the "paying for" part came in? ShelfLife will be free to do everything but sell, and then, only if you sell a lot.
Sorry, I missed that the IT thing was a joke. But then I didn't read IT guy the way I should, I took it to mean Computer repair guy.

The "paying for" comment is based around me not understanding how I might be able to upgrade the IE without paying to have it done. It has nothing to do with your site.

Of all the websites I've ever tried to sign up on using my current system(and it hundreds of websites at this point as I've been doing internet promotion for a local convention and use things like fan forums to promote it) I've never had any issues on any of those sites.

I have no doubt that what you say is true about this EI 7 becoming obsolete, yet this is the first I've encountered of it. My assumption, again not being computer savy, is that I'd have to pay to do this upgrade.

Googling it tonight I see that maybe I wouldn't so I'm going to look into that as I'd like to do more with Shelflife.

Just try to keep in mind that not everyone you are going to be comunicating with is going to be someone who understands all these terms, abrieviations and tech talk thats flying around the topic.

I mean you guys have repeated over and over again how this EI 7 is obsolete, yet that doesn't really address the problem. Perhaps a suggestion of what I could do on my end to help solve the problem(as someone else has suggested by upgrading to this EI 8) would be more helpful.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 12-01-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #286
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Sorry, I missed that the IT thing was a joke. But then I didn't read IT guy the way I should, I took it to mean Computer repair guy.

The "paying for" comment is based around me not understanding how I might be able to upgrade the IE without paying to have it done. It has nothing to do with your site.

Of all the websites I've ever tried to sign up on using my current system(and it hundreds of websites at this point as I've been doing internet promotion for a local convention and use things like fan forums to promote it) I've never had any issues on any of those sites.

I have no doubt that what you say is true about this EI 7 becoming obsolete, yet this is the first I've encountered of it. My assumption, again not being computer savy, is that I'd have to pay to do this upgrade.

Googling it tonight I see that maybe I wouldn't so I'm going to look into that as I'd like to do more with Shelflife.

Just try to keep in mind that not everyone you are going to be comunicating with is going to be someone who understands all these terms, abrieviations and tech talk thats flying around the topic.

I mean you guys have repeated over and over again how this EI 7 is obsolete, yet that doesn't really address the problem. Perhaps a suggestion of what I could do on my end to help solve the problem(as someone else has suggested by upgrading to this EI 8) would be more helpful.
I hear you. Yes, upgrading for free to IE 9 would likely solve your issues.

James
Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #287
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylo View Post
I use IE all the time, never have any issues, you guys are doing something wrong, lol
Die in a fire.

Seriously though, I have like 5 different browsers on my computer, so any time there's a serial issue with one of them, I just use a backup. IE really does suck, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #288
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Just noticed shifting from buy to collect mode now doesn't change your view/category, it keeps you exactly where you are.

Which is great (as it was annoying having to click through the categories again), except when you click to "collect" mode, you get a message telling you that you're now in collect mode, but it still shows up ALL products (including those not flagged as "wants" or "haves".) just as if you're still in buy mode.

Not sure this was intentional, seems like a side effect, so I wanted to point it out.

Also, while I like the feature above, I would suggest some kind of splash page for "buy" and "collect" for use when clicking either option from the main splash page. Currently from the main splash page clicking either button tells you "you're in "X" mode" but it doesn't change the main page at all, which might lead some people to erroneously think it didn't work.
Hey again,

We'll be testing all this over the next few days so bare with us as we try a few things. There are a bunch of down the road things to consider, so we're being diligent in the exploration. We'll post when it's ready to be acid tested again.

James
Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #289
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

So here's everything our team got done today on site upgrades:

- Added new TF catalogs to the mega-menu.
- Sorted the catalogs in the mega-menu alphabetically.
- mega-menu shows on hover.
- Added news items to the Home page.
- Created the TF Beast Wars and Beast Machines catalogs (currently under curation).
-When viewing a category with no products, you’re invited to become a curator. Eg:
http://shelflifex.com/catalogs/kidrobot
- When viewing a catalog with no products, you’re told that it’s being built. Eg:
http://shelflifex.com/catalogs/transformers-beast-wars
- Those green info messages that appear at the tops of pages auto-hide after 2 seconds.
- Collect Mode shows all products in the selected catalog.
- Switching between Buy and Collect Modes keeps you on the
corresponding page.

More to come!

James
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #290
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post

I would keep IE7, as I remember uprading being very time consuming, and I would just download a more up to date free browser instead. My choice would be google chrome.

I will warn you a new browser takes some getting used to - especially as chrome doesn't really have a menu bar, and different options can be tough to find (the wrench in the top tight opens a menu).

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 12-01-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collecting, shelflife