Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus
Re: I'm having a collection crisis of sorts.....

It never ends...It just Transforms.

*insert audience groans here*
Transbot90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterquick View Post
I could use some advice. I was perusing my collection, and while taking a long hard look at the RotF stuff I have I realized that i'm unsure if I actually want to keep them still.

Thing is, i've never in my life gotten rid of a figure, save one. I had a second G1 Air Raid I gave to my best friend. There's a part of me that screams to not get rid of em, but they mostly sit in a storage bin under my bed. I'd display them if I had the space, but i'd never play with them.

I want to keep key figures from the line. I kind of went OCD when it started arriving, and picked up every figure I could find. So i've got a pile of repaints and such.

What should I do, keep em or sell em? And if I do decide on selling, would they even go? Opinions?
I hopped on ebay and did a search for finished auctions.

If you have every on screen character you will probbaly be able to sell them all for the low ball price (most likely the actual price) of $325 for ROFT.
Transbot90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Not sure anyone else mentioned this but what about the physical space you have? Are you running out of display room? Are those ROTF figures occupying real-estate better served by recent or upcoming releases?

In that case you could use that as a guide for selling them, and since indeed their market value is marginal, INSTEAD simply compact them as much as possible, pad and pack them up...open them up in a few years and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I know I've been finding this with the AEC figures...they aren't on display, but when I bring a few out of storage, it's always a (temporary) blast.

--Echo
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
Not sure anyone else mentioned this but what about the physical space you have? Are you running out of display room? Are those ROTF figures occupying real-estate better served by recent or upcoming releases?

In that case you could use that as a guide for selling them, and since indeed their market value is marginal, INSTEAD simply compact them as much as possible, pad and pack them up...open them up in a few years and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I know I've been finding this with the AEC figures...they aren't on display, but when I bring a few out of storage, it's always a (temporary) blast.

--Echo
I've got about a half dozen RotF figs out, and no room for any more until I buy a new bookshelf. And I keep spending money on silly things like food and other TFs I want more. Even when I did have them out they just sat there. Currently they're in a bin under my bed, and unless I move into a much larger space, they're probably going to stay there. I already decided on selling most of them anyways, I just need to catalogue and take some pics of em.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
megadon
FOR SALE

maybe this will make you feel better buddy!!!1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viT1--TUZ9g
megadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
TALLUS76
TALLUS76
TALLUS76's Ebay Auctions

I got to that same point and actually stopped collecting till I got it figured out. I found after the 1st movie around the time Animated was getting ready to launch I would buy anything and everything that came out. Like you I sat back and was like, why am I buying all these figures? I don't even like them. I'm a gen 1 collector at heart. After taking a year off in which I turned my collecting to the re released gi joes I got my head straight. I only buy figures that I want and will enjoy. Its helped cut down on wasted space and I'm glad I did it when I did. Honestly I think Animated and 90% of the movie figures are over priced garbage. So now I'm happy with what I have and pick up. The question to selling them? Well I can guarantee you won't get back even half of what you spent unless their sealed in box. I was thinking the same thing with the 2007 movie figs. After seeing I wouldn't get much for them I reshelved them into their own little scene and now I'm glad I didn't sell but I wouldn't be ever buying more from the movie lines. Plus I need the space for the rts and generations lines that I love. Well hope we helped a bit.
TALLUS76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #27
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadon View Post
maybe this will make you feel better buddy!!!1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viT1--TUZ9g

ok. this one is the best one so far. it did put a smile on my face. lol
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
some i could squeeze into the classics collection without much effort
This is what I've been doing recently. Some fit in quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterquick View Post
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm gonna look hard at the collection this week and see what is absolutely must-keep, and most likely get rid of the rest.
My advice is take your time as long as you have time to take. The worst you can do is rush such a process as rushing could lead you to regret down the road. Think of it this way: if you had display space right now for everything you currently own, would you display it all? It might be worth boxing chunks of your collection up for now. Play the waiting game.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #29
questlyfe
is a G1 enthusiast!

when it comes to value down the road personally i can't imagine any of the movie figures being worth anything. i also think the reason G1's are so expensive now are because they came from a time when this was a futuristic idea and they also used better quality when it comes to making the figures such as diecast and chrome. In the movie line we see some chrome but i don't think any of them have diecast (I'm not sure i don't own any) So from a value point personally i wouldn't bother with them but if you keep them because you just love transformers, then get a bigger cabinet, start putting them on display, and sit back and enjoy the view
Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
Commandoclone87
Seeker

I can say that I know how you feel. While my collection is still moderate and is roughly 35/35 between bay-verse and classics with the remaining going to PCC, my book case is filling up fast (they have to share space with my DVD and Magic: The Gathering collections.)

Eventually I'm going to have to start picking out my favs (anything that flies is pretty much safe) and then work through what looks best displayed. I also tend to keep movie stuff and classics separate.

As per the advice from many of the posters, unless you absolutely hate the figures, find a place to keep em in storage and once in a while, take em out and re-evaluate whether or not you should get rid of it.

That way you can avoid the situation in several years where you find out that you got rid of a figure that you actually really like and can no longer find it.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote