Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #21
RageD
Energon
Re: US dollar....

I haven't paid for a movie in over 5 years using the points on my scene Visa card and again.... No balance to pay interest on.

I can see the draw of cash on hand only but to completely ignore the benefits of a CC seems silly since You'll never qualify for a mortgage or similar without a credit history containing some form of revolving credit line.

And thus ends my defence of credit cards used in a responsible manner.

Last edited by RageD; 02-05-2015 at 03:23 PM.
RageD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #22
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window View Post
A credit card does not charge you interest unless you let the charge sit there for 30 days - if you purchase something with a credit card then immediately pay that amount back onto the credit card no interest accrues, you get points, cashback whatever AND you get a better exchange rate if the card is through a bank.

My card is currently 1 point above current exchange instead of paypal's 4-5 points.

You have a bank account that you store funds with right? so what is Paypal doing that a bank account is not? Credit Cards are accepted internationally are they not?

I am not seeing how Paypal is so much better than a credit card when you're losing money with Paypal whereas with a credit card you can reap a butt load of benefits and avoid Paypal's awful exchange rates.

I, routinely, have no interest accrued on my card and rack up about 400 in cash back by years end by using my card in this manner.
That sounds great, you're using the system for you rather than letting it use you.

The problem with your scenario is that most people these days tend to treat Credit Cards as bank cards. They use them for everything and anything and never have enough to pay off the bill come the 30 days are up.

That's why the Credit Card companies are making profits. If they weren't, they wouldn't exist.

It's easy to say, use it responsibly, pay it off every month and reap the benefits. I have lived and experienced the bad side of Credit Cards, I do not like them anymore, nor would I want one unless I could be sure of myself and I know myself far too well, therefore I choose not to use such a tool. Well that is to say I do not own a Credit Card any longer and would be extremely leery of getting one again. At this time when I buy items off of Amazon I tend to pay back my parents for the use of their card.

As far as Paypal is concerned, I maintain an account for online shopping purposes where accepted, which is beginning to become most places any regular Credit Card is used online. I also use it because it's easier to get paid for selling stuff compared to wasting time waiting for a money order in the mail.

For this type of service fees are to be expected, that's just how it is. Paypal needs to make some kind of money for providing this service.

Just like Credit Cards I suppose, however the interest rates are not favorable. Not in the long run at any rate.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #23
RageD
Energon

Can't we all just get along and agree that Han shot first?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #24
Window
Robot Master

Because Han is a bloodthirsty merc.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageD View Post
I haven't paid for a movie in over 5 years using the points on my scene Visa card and again.... No balance to pay interest on.

I can see the draw of cash on hand only but to completely ignore the benefits of a CC seems silly since You'll never qualify for a mortgage or similar without a credit history containing some form of revolving credit line.

And thus ends my defence of credit cards used in a responsible manner.
Big deal, I haven't paid for a movie since I was born, my parents worked for theatres for as long as I've been around, well mom has, dad had to leave when the projectionist position changed the union folded up.

Point is I've rarely paid for films in the 33 years I've been on this Earth. In fact I have fond memories of spending nights at the cinema watching movies over and over again due to babysitter issues. (IE Not being able to find one.) So many great old cinema houses around where I grew up.

I'm all for using credit cards responsibly.

I however am a bit of a failure in that front, I've tried to learn my lesson from my previous issues and have mostly succeeded in preventing myself from being totally stupid. Not having access to it constantly helps.

The thing is I recognized my failings and chose to quit rather than risk developing a worse issue. Just like any other addict.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #26
RageD
Energon

...............The point of the post wasn't about the free movies............. And we are wildly off topic now so good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Big deal, I haven't paid for a movie since I was born, my parents worked for theatres for as long as I've been around, well mom has, dad had to leave when the projectionist position changed the union folded up.

Point is I've rarely paid for films in the 33 years I've been on this Earth. In fact I have fond memories of spending nights at the cinema watching movies over and over again due to babysitter issues. (IE Not being able to find one.) So many great old cinema houses around where I grew up.

I'm all for using credit cards responsibly.

I however am a bit of a failure in that front, I've tried to learn my lesson from my previous issues and have mostly succeeded in preventing myself from being totally stupid. Not having access to it constantly helps.

The thing is I recognized my failings and chose to quit rather than risk developing a worse issue. Just like any other addict.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #27
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

The sudden HUGE drop was the scariest part even with gas that low, it surely surprised everyone including me.

I remember reading about measures taken to boost it up but nah, it's not going to go up as fast of course.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #28
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Can't we all just get along and agree that Han shot first?
Greedo shot last
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #29
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I had to cut back given our weakening dollar and rising prices, so it was sadly MP Dinos I've given up for now. Buying one means buying five, and that's ~$1200 cdn after conversion, shipping, fees, etc.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
...............The point of the post wasn't about the free movies............. And we are wildly off topic now so good day.
You were attempting to debate a user who doesn't operate in a little thing called reality. Or facts. #nowyouknow

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote