Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Jeepmanhastj
Beasty
MP-9B What to do?

So I read about the MP-9B having knee issues like sticking and breaking etc. and I've had mine since it came out.

I kept wondering about the the condition of my MISB.

Today I took the plunge and opened it up ....
unscrewed the thighs and to my disappointment the damn knees (on both sides) had already split right at the ratchet point!
You can see the line in the pic.

Any pressure either way would have broken the ratchet gear.

Can that blue plastic be glued and will it work?

Or should I just find new knee joints?

Last edited by Jeepmanhastj; 01-19-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Jeepmanhastj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: MP-9B What to do?

I feel your pain man. Same thing actually happened to me a couple months ago. Lucky for you I documented what I did. I'll explain what I did but ultimately its your choice if you want to try the same (disclaimer )

If its a clean break, which it seems to be, try Gorilla Glue (Home Depot).

You will have to open up the thigh (two screws), remove the bottom half of the leg (knee joint attached) and carefully apply a few layers of glue to the break. I used three layers, inside and outside edge. Don't rush it. I did mine over 3 days to allow adequate drying time between applications. I also smoothed the glued areas between applications.

Here's the tricky part. Because the glue adds thickness to the inside edge of the knee joint, you need to scrape the area marked in my picture (quite significantly). Again, take your time. Scrape a little and try to attach the joint. If its doesnt go, scrape a little more and try again. This might take a while to get to the correct thickness. Whatever you do, DO NOT FORCE IT! You will need a very fine narrow blade exacto knife to scrape the glued areas smooth and to squeeze into that small hole.

Since your joint hasnt even snapped yet, I think you have a great chance to fix this just with a few layers of glue and some scraping. Of course, once fixed, avoid moving the joint just in case. I attached my joint in the position I needed it posed before I screwed it back together.

Good Luck!

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 01-19-2014 at 11:29 PM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Jeepmanhastj
Beasty

Oh man that break on yours... it just ... hurts.....

If i had moved the knee joints either way I bet they would have broken like yours.

Cant believe it was already cracked in package! both knees!

The joint peg on mine does rotate fine (no sticking etc)
The break is hairline and straight thru.

I'd have to try and get a drop in there by opening it up a tiny bit and let the glue filter down into the gap.
Then let it dry and clean off any excess in side the peg hole and the outside teeth.

has gorilla glue been a good glue for the Transformers plastic?
Jeepmanhastj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
Protoman
The Legend

Great thread guys.

Ehobby was aware of this issue and is reissueing the MP-09B with better plastic. This mold just has the worst of luck........
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
chuskers
Machine War

Man, to say that completley sucks is an understatement!! Pretty sad that as collectors we have to worry about our collectables being broken right out of the package, especially when they are not replaceable. Thats why i havent cracked open my hasbro mp 10 yet, like you i would be super pissed to find something wrong with an item that i cant replace. really hope the fixes mentioned here work for ya!

$250.00 dollar collectable fixed with $10.00 glue, that is SO wrong!!
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
justprime
Animated

this is where the MFG. should (once a QC issue be discovered) be responsable for any one who contacts them to provide free of charge replacement pieces they retain the molds and pieces should be as simple as running off a batch and storing them..(remember they already KNOW theres a problem piece) its sad that you would have to purchase a Version .02 to get a sound toy, think of all the masterpiece problems with the various issues and multiply that by the production run by the purchase price and I would wonder what the cost of buying a brand new broken in box toy is worth, and why there seems to be the buy another as an only solution what happened to standing by your product and customer service?
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Longshot
Pretender

Is (was?) this a exclusively MP-9B issue or did it affect the MP-9 and the Hasbro version also?
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Is (was?) this a exclusively MP-9B issue or did it affect the MP-9 and the Hasbro version also?
I believe this knee issue is only for MP-09B. However other versions of MP-9 have other issues I read. For example, MP-09 Hasbro version will have the elbow (or arms joint?) broke even inside the package.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Longshot
Pretender

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I believe this knee issue is only for MP-09B. However other versions of MP-9 have other issues I read. For example, MP-09 Hasbro version will have the elbow (or arms joint?) broke even inside the package.
No way?!? I have a Hasbro version Rodimus that isn't even open. I must crack that package to take a look...
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Great thread guys.

Ehobby was aware of this issue and is reissueing the MP-09B with better plastic. This mold just has the worst of luck........
Just badly designed! It's like they never tested it before the release.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote