Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous
Re: Collect or Play? Investment or Display?

I say open and do what you want. Don't expect a return. These new Transformers are manufactured by the 100's of thousands and by seeing if these hold value / playing the numbers game will be a losing one.

Perhaps looking for "rarer" figures and hard to get vintage ones that are not so mass produced could possibly offer a return as hardcore collectors will always be on the hunt for these. Prototypes, Lucky Draws, store exclusives and event type exclusives usually hold or increase in value. How fast that pricetag rises is questionable.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions

I agree with the many posters. The CHUG, CW, TR and POTP lines of figures will only be of value to us because these are the characters we grew up with. I buy some for my kids, but they don't know them and they mean less to them than Pokemon and Paw Patrol.

I fully expect the prices of these lines to tank in a few years, as our responsibilities increase (e.g. kids) and we have less time (and money) to spend on hobbies.

For me, the value I extract is the pure enjoyment of being able to pose them and play with them in a way I wish I could when I had the G1 toys 30 years ago.

If you're thinking of toys as investment, I would buy things that kids love these days, like the high quality Thomas the Tank Engine toys. Even then, you're looking at an investment horizon of 20+ years (once those kids get old enough to make money and buy their own) and the return is much less than conventional investment vehicles. And nobody has an investment horizon of 20+ years because things can change so much.

I do keep the packaging for the toys my kids get that really matter to them (i.e. Thomas), in case they become serious collectors when they get older. I was a hoarder as a kid and by accident kept boxed and complete figures of G1 Optimus Prime, Roadbuster, Quickswitch, Jetfire and many other figures, which I ended up selling to a store before my kids arrived at what I now know to be at pennies on the dollar.

In short, I think you should liberate the figures and enjoy them to your hearts content. Because you'll be enjoying them for (hopefully) many years to come.

Last edited by OldOfflineMan; 08-04-2019 at 11:58 AM.
OldOfflineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
predahank
Storing is hoarding

The only tfs that have gone up in value are probably fanstoys but if certain figures get reissued then whatever secondary market gains go into the drain. Mp prices are flat or declining so also not a good investment.

Open your toys but keep the boxes/papers etc for resale value if you can
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #14
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

You only live once.

Invest in your enjoyment, open and play!
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Actually I keep most of my collection in box however I'm not in this hobby to make money either. I'm in it for the nostalgia, kewl looking moulds & paint schemes . I find they just look better with everything fresh & minty then again if the box or card is mangled then ya open that sucker up. Like someone said it's your collection & your money. You do what ya want. Just enjoy the hobby.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
MitchPoer
Double Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Tekno View Post
any value I'm not able to get back in resale is just basically the price I paid to be able to enjoy the figure while I had it."
Well said
Old 08-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #17
Landstander
Generation 2

I fall in the middle of these choices. I open 99% of my figures, but display them in package for that toy store look. I keep some things sealed, but that is rare.
Landstander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

Buddy of mine (Protoman) said it best. Things boxed in the 80s and prior retain their value because everyone opened up their toys and played with them. It's far more rare to find something from that era in good shape or boxed hence the value.

But now, look at how many of us are buying and displaying transformers. There's so many of us that keep things misb nowadays as well. So none of it is really going to appreciate in value because it'll be all over the place.

On top of That, transformers are a false investment. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay. That's why it's so easy to turn down someone who prices items higher than you want to pay. Your misb galaxy convoy could be worth 300$ to you and you price it as such, but if it's only worth 150$ to me, then it's and easy pass. On the flipside, someone who REALLY wants it may value it higher and jump on The price. These are The same people buying mp 44 and unicron. For them, it's worth it. The TY craze was an interesting case study in terms of collection values.

So, just open up your tfs and enjoy them or keep them misb if you prefer that look, but don't expect to rake in the cash one day. Do it for the fun that it brings you.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------

Last edited by Vain; 08-04-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

I'm in the "opening" camp, I love frigging around with em

Some figs are display pieces, some are fiddlesticks

Also from Animated onward, I'm still in the "kept all boards/clamshells/boxes" phase; if this website is any indicator, appears I will evolve beyond it soon?

I just feel that all the Prime Wars Trilogy voyager boxes might look cool on a shelf, arranged with all their artwork-on-the-spine-side out like a bunch of big fat books

Same for all the various PE kits, just tinier little books on the shelf

With that said, a lot of figs are still in boxes from the last move, got to buy a ton of Detolfs and risers, and free the beasts
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #20
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vain View Post
On top of That, transformers are a false investment. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay. That's why it's so easy to turn down someone who prices items higher than you want to pay.
This goes for pretty much anything you may want to sell later, not just transformers.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote