Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #31
Pgianos
Banned
Re: Collect or Play? Investment or Display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
And all those copies of Jim lee X-Men #1...inthe dollar bins.
Thank you he was the hottest artist on the hottest book ...

If you think a misb potp optimus prime will.do better than an index fund that averages 6 percent at 10 years then all i can say is you are forewarned.
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #32
Pgianos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Pretty much this. Very few things from the modern era will go up in value and stay there. I got back into collecting a little over ten years ago, and I've seen the ups and downs on figures.

Remember when City Commander came out? Combined with the Ultra Magnus base figure, that thing was going for $300-$400 on the after market.

Then came the re-release, the KOs, and then the collector's frenzy died down, followed by official releases of Ultra Magnus looking a lot more like his G1 self, especially the MP version.

Haven't checked the pricing in a while, but I'd say you'll be lucky to get what you paid in retail for it now.

That's the thing about TF collecting and pricing. Demand for a figure can be very volatile. For certain figures, the demand comes from it being the best representation of a certain G1 character available. Remember Cybertron Downshift, Shockblast, etc. The figures that were homages to G1 characters were desired because there was nothing else better.

Now, there's tons of choice. All it takes is a new, updated, and better version of that character to come out, and suddenly, the prices on the old version bottom out. Once Siege Sideswipe came out, I wonder how many people dropped their Classics version onto their for-sale list? Once the new MP version of Prime was announced, I wonder how many people did the same with their MP-10s.

I've seen this happen over and over. Except under some very specific circumstances, modern mass produced, mass distributed TFs don't hold any value beyond what you paid. It's more like buying a car than a house.

I open most of what I buy. Only under certain circumstances will I keep something in box.
Well articulated sir.
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:20 AM   #33
steamwhistle
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyblue View Post
Good morning all,

I have a complete collection of the POTP sub-line, all still new in box. My dilemma is that I wonder if I should open them or not. I figure a complete set of Transformers might be worth something someday, and that is keeping me from opening and enjoying them.

Please help! What's your opinion?
What do you mean by complete? North America retail? Takara-Tomy issues? Amazon/Walgreen exclusives? Convention Exclusives?

Let's analyse this with some rambling thoughts and questions.

Suppose you have about 40-45 POTP (Regular, Amazon, Walgreen, but not Takara-Tomy or Convention issues).

Would it be fair to estimate that the collection is worth about $1200 at regular retail prices today?

How much would you expect to make in the future? How long would you keep it? 20 years? A full MISB set is awesome, and would be hard to find in 20 years, but what do you think someone would reasonably offer for it in 20 years?

Double? $2400?

Really, in 20 years, $2400 might be worth what $1200 is worth today.

Still, say you do make a good $1200 by selling it in 20 years. In 20 years' time, would $1200 mean much to you?

Is it worth your time and care over 20 years, to store them, care for them, and even pack them and move them as you might relocate your residence?

Along with all of this, consider: Do you think the POTP line will remain interesting and collectible over time? What are the chances that Hasbro/Takara (or whatever future toy company might hold the rights) might issue another similar line of Transformers which would be better, or more interesting to collectors? What are the chances that collectors will be more interested in another line?

It seems improbable to me that, in the future, there would be many collectors hunting for MISB POTP Transformers. Even if there are, would they want to buy a full set? Or would they have some/many of them MISB already? Would you break up your set to accommodate them? If you can sell the whole set, do you think you would make enough to make it all workwhile? Would the profit be enough to enjoy?
Would you enjoy selling them? More than opening them now?

As you have them all now, are they in storage, or are all the boxes on display on a shelf?

Do you have any doubles of figures which you have opened and played with?

All things considered, and from the wording of your post, the thought of "investment" is keeping you from enjoying them. That doesn't sound like fun.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:22 AM   #34
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
What do you mean by complete? North America retail? Takara-Tomy issues? Amazon/Walgreen exclusives? Convention Exclusives?

Let's analyse this with some rambling thoughts and questions.

Suppose you have about 40-45 POTP (Regular, Amazon, Walgreen, but not Takara-Tomy or Convention issues).

Would it be fair to estimate that the collection is worth about $1200 at regular retail prices today?

How much would you expect to make in the future? How long would you keep it? 20 years? A full MISB set is awesome, and would be hard to find in 20 years, but what do you think someone would reasonably offer for it in 20 years?

Double? $2400?

Really, in 20 years, $2400 might be worth what $1200 is worth today.

Still, say you do make a good $1200 by selling it in 20 years. In 20 years' time, would $1200 mean much to you?

Is it worth your time and care over 20 years, to store them, care for them, and even pack them and move them as you might relocate your residence?

Along with all of this, consider: Do you think the POTP line will remain interesting and collectible over time? What are the chances that Hasbro/Takara (or whatever future toy company might hold the rights) might issue another similar line of Transformers which would be better, or more interesting to collectors? What are the chances that collectors will be more interested in another line?

It seems improbable to me that, in the future, there would be many collectors hunting for MISB POTP Transformers. Even if there are, would they want to buy a full set? Or would they have some/many of them MISB already? Would you break up your set to accommodate them? If you can sell the whole set, do you think you would make enough to make it all workwhile? Would the profit be enough to enjoy?
Would you enjoy selling them? More than opening them now?

As you have them all now, are they in storage, or are all the boxes on display on a shelf?

Do you have any doubles of figures which you have opened and played with?

All things considered, and from the wording of your post, the thought of "investment" is keeping you from enjoying them. That doesn't sound like fun.
I agree with this.
But still not gonna be worth what you paid in the long run so open up your toys from their plastic cardboard prisons and enjoy them.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #35
Cyblue
Generation 1

Thanks everybody for all these great and helpful responses! I am going to start opening them up and enjoy them!
Cyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #36
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

I agree with everything everyone has said on here. You really buy this stuff to play with them, not as an investment. YOLO and all that, so open 'em up. It's evident form the detail in the newest figures that the designers are passionate about being faithful to the franchise and the characters, so enjoy the labor of love that they put into the figures. In my opinion, considering the work the designers have done, it's disrespectful to them to not play around with the figures and take enjoyment from what they wish of you in purchasing the figure.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #37
Marcotron
Robot Master

I have one and only one transformer still in box, it's the 25th anniversary Unicron, and the box is a very nice display case. I also have an Armada Unicron, opened, and played with, so I know what the toy is.
I know, some day, I will sell this amazing looking Unicron, and it is the most perfect representation of Unicron that they will ever put on the market.......
Now taking offers on the best ever Unicron MISB (for downpayment on half of a Haslab Unicron)
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #38
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

The toys will keep their value, even out of the box. But I wouldnt expect much else. If you are buying to invest, there are so many better options. The problem with TFs is that they take up a bunch of space. And when it comes time to selling them, anything from Canada will be ignored due to the higher shipping when selling online. So you are stuck with local people who want your toys for nothing.

TL DR: modern day toys should not be seen as an investment in any way, if you want material investments try precious metals, vintage coins, fine art, ect.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #39
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post
Binaltech figs, no way Jose, can't give them away.
I still think they are pretty cool, if you have any for cheap, I will take them
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote