Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #21
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Thoughts on Studio Series so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
If you tell me that you find these figures great, or any of the movie toys for that matter. I would find it hard to trust your opinion as a transformer collector.
If there's one thing that's great for collectors right now it's choice. Not everyone has to like the same thing. And truthfully, I'd be really scared if they did, because it's a sign there some sort of conspiracy mind control happening.

I hated the movie look when it first came out. Still not a big fan, but I've come to appreciate some of the things it brings. And regardless of whether I like it or not, for some, this is their G1. This is what they grew up with, and for them, this is what Transformers is.

People like what they like, and with pop culture stuff like toys, I'm not going to tell them to stop taking joy in what they like.

It's like the saying goes one persons trash is another person's treasure.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Got Blackout this week and I absolutely love him. He’s beefy and brawly in bot mode, and friggin huge in alt mode. The paint is lacking, yes, and hilariously his star is upside down on one side, but he’s chunky and fun and fabulous. I wish he had less kibble on his arms and swivel wrists, but he still looks badass and even lil Scorpy is great. Transformation is decently involved and I even dig his display. Very happy with him, and can’t wait to get Grimlock too.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #23
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
If you tell me that you find these figures great, or any of the movie toys for that matter. I would find it hard to trust your opinion as a transformer collector.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Some I love, some I like, and some are garbage fire fuel. I’ll take Human Alliance Jazz and ROTF Leader Prime, for example, over anything released in Titans Return. Just a matter of opinion.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #24
OptimusB38
Optimus B

I was hoping for some more paint
OptimusB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #25
PrimalEnvy
Reverse Corte

Only have Grimlock, but he’s pretty awesome.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #26
Gaming Turtle
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
Got Blackout this week and I absolutely love him. He’s beefy and brawly in bot mode, and friggin huge in alt mode. The paint is lacking, yes, and hilariously his star is upside down on one side, but he’s chunky and fun and fabulous. I wish he had less kibble on his arms and swivel wrists, but he still looks badass and even lil Scorpy is great. Transformation is decently involved and I even dig his display. Very happy with him, and can’t wait to get Grimlock too.
100% agree with this. I haven't gotten Grimlock but Blackout is my favorite of the line so far. At $62.99 + taxes I am happy with him. The star is correct on both sides of mine I believe.
Gaming Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #27
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Anyone else who braved the freezing rain this past Sunday @ 80's Toy Expo remember seeing any Studio Series ? I don't remember seeing any myself.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #28
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Having seen all of this line in hand over the last couple of days, it's a mixed bag. Stinger is the winner in the deluxes by far, Ratchet and Crowbar don't seem all that much different to me from their previous incarnations and BB is a flimsy mess if not handled in a specific way.

What bugged me most of BB is his size, or rather, what you're paying for that size. When you look at his proportions, he seems long in the legs. Take away what the feet give him and he looks better proportioned but then you realize without the feet, he's legends sized. A $30 legends on a mass produced mainline toy that has the build quality of a KO?! Eat shit, Hasbro.

The voyagers are not much different to me either. Starscream is just an upsize of a previous version. Optimus is a downsize with a darker coloring that also screams cheap KO to me.

I really wanted to like Blackout and must have stood in the aisle looking him over for about a half hour at the store but ultimately put him back on the shelf. Sorely lacking paint, and just really couldn't muster up any love for this Bayverse design. It has kibble everywhere all over it.

Grimlock is the only I one seem to enjoy. Good size and scale compared to even the previous movie lines, much better detail over what we got before, and an intricate enough paint design to be interesting and not scream lack of paint.

Last edited by Chigimus; 04-21-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 AM   #29
Pascal
Banned

Got Blackout tonight. His helicopter mode is massive. He does have a fair amount paint, it's just not noticeable since most of it is the blue-ish gray of the helicopter. Some TLK and AOE toys had the same "issue", paint not being noticeable because it was the same color as the surrounding plastic. Interesting transformation. Really liking the robot mode even if it feels a bit light. Tons of sculpted details all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboru View Post
I just feel bad for people who live for the movie stuff.
We got PLENTY of good toys. And obviously, we're still getting some.

Last edited by Pascal; 04-21-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #30
joshimus
Metroplex

Of the SS I bought Prime, Starscream and Grimlock waiting on finding Blackout.
Aesthetics standpoint, Prime is mediocre but as a whole I kind of dig it. Starscream is a really nice redone version of the deluxe and I will say it, I am disappointed with Grimlock. His robot mode looks nice but I feel they made too much sacrifice to make that awful dino mode and yet still better than the AOE Leader dino mode, imo, not by much. I had high hopes on this one and I dig HOW they did what they did for the robot mode, but again, like...just make a fucking tail already. I just think there are things they could have done even better with Grimlock, and given him 2 hands plus an optional spiked ball.
So feelings are kinda mixed. Waiting on finding Blackout. No desire to get the Deluxe figs aside from Jazz in wave 2.

Edit: So, been playing around with Grimlock. I still think they could have done better on the dino mode, especially all the gaps and weak excuse of a tail, but I am also contemplating on fixing that. I may try to make him a hand, a ball weapon and a tail and 3d print it. I'd rather have tail kibble or as an attachable part than constantly getting these weird tails they keep giving movie Grimlock.

Last edited by joshimus; 04-21-2018 at 11:56 PM.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote