Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron
What is wrong with A&E??

Like the title says, I am seriously beginning to wonder if A&E is on a self destruct mission or something? What I'm upset about is that they seem to cancel or threaten to cancel their top shows. Last summer they had a pretty good cop drama called The Glades. It ended with a cliff hanger with the main character shot and his bride to be waiting at the alter. I was eagerly awaiting its summer return and found out a few weeks ago that A&E had cancelled it!

Then we had the problems with Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson's personal views, and again A&E threatened to cancel the show or at least remove Phil from the show, but the rest of the family rallied behind Phil and everything seems to have quieted down and back to business as usual.

Now the latest casuality of A&E is another cop drama called Longmire. It has been pegged as a modern western and was a very interesting show and also this season wrapped up a lot of loose ends but it did end with a cliff hanger ending with a lone gunshot and black screen. Come to find out that this show as well as The Glades were there #2 shows behind Duck Dynasty and both have now been canceled! They seem to be shifting to an all reality schedual and getting away from the traditional script shows.
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
skrilla 88
Jackass!
Re: What is wrong with A&E??

I stopped watching A & E about 10 years ago. It's no longer Art and Entertainment. I also stopped watching Discovery and History. 2 of my favourite channels reduced to airing garage programs.
skrilla 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla 88 View Post
I stopped watching A & E about 10 years ago. It's no longer Art and Entertainment. I also stopped watching Discovery and History. 2 of my favourite channels reduced to airing garage programs.
Aint that the truth..

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Pretty well why a stick with Teletoon retro and Star Trek re-runs.

TNG, Voyager, Tin-tin, Animaniacs and Batman FTW.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
grumble22
Generation 1

Another good reason to cancel cable/ satellite and just stick with netflix or other streaming services. Beyond watching baseball and hockey I can't remember the last time I watched something on regular tv.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Pretty sure a few folks are still watching stuff like The Walking Dead and HBO styled stuff, but the cost is very high.

Between Netflix and people pirating I'm surprised those channels still do as well as they do.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

The better question is why even have cable when it's all available to stream on the internet or over the air for free. I cut off cable three years ago, put up an antenna and got an unlimited internet plan. Best thing I ever did. Cable tv is old school. Pretty soon, Internet streaming services like Netflix will be the main way people access tv programming.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla 88 View Post
TLC stopped being the The Learning Channel a long time ago. Just what do you learn from Jon & Kate plus 8?

And Discovery got really dumbed down with Mid US Syndrome with moves like getting Oprah to dub over Sir David Attenborough. It's like airing natural science documentaries from BBC is offending the people who live in Jesusland.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Just what do you learn from Jon & Kate plus 8?
Not to marry a psycho!

Hey-oh!
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
The better question is why even have cable when it's all available to stream on the internet or over the air for free.
The problem being that once enough people do this these cable networks won't be able to afford to produce their quality programming.

Netflix is a viable option, likely the way the industry is going to go no doubt.

Digital recievers sound good as well, but I'm little hesitant to get excited about the three channels I could pick up with one in my area. To me it feels and sounds more like 1983 than 2014

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote