Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
xueyue2
Canadian Slag
Re: all time best toys?

Cyberton Optimus Prime!

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #12
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
Cyberton Optimus Prime!
Boy you're really digging that toy lol
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

I would say that Power Master Prime was the best toy at the time it was released
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
skrilla 88
Jackass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
Cyberton Optimus Prime!
One of my favourite Primes. I just need to find the backpack, matrix and weapons. >.<

For me, my favourite figure is RTS Lugnut.
skrilla 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla 88 View Post
One of my favourite Primes. I just need to find the backpack, matrix and weapons. >.<
I had all that stuff in my sales threads for months lol
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
justprime
Animated

If were talking all toys,.. then dinky toys or Japanese tin/diacast toys of the 60's other than that Transformers G1 Japan issue's and sorry can't pick just one have to catch'em all "LOL"
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Articulation is important in these modern times and G1 toys are not the be all, end all many of you claim them to be.

They are (for the most part) impressive feats of engineering, with tons of awesome detail and sculpt work. But they do not survive well during hard play sessions and accessories are easily lost making a good chunk of the 84-85 cast utterly worthless.

G1 figures worked in the 80s because that is what the market would support. Realistic figures that could shift from car to robot. None of them match their animation counterparts until the later half of the decade, and even then they suffer considerably, compare that piece of turd Rodimus to his predecessor, the designers were really off when they cooked up that figure. At least Optimus had elbows and knees.

G1 is a great grandfather to the line, however it has not aged well. The adults in the forums tend to view them through nostalgia tinted glasses. When I started collecting the older Diaclone figures in the re-issue heyday of G1 I was mostly buying them because I never had them as a kid and I started off liking them.

Unfortunately they just weren't what I wanted in a toy. They failed to capture the animation models at all, they employed far too many accessories for my liking compared to their Beast era 'children' and they couldn't do much but stand on the shelf in static poses.

I can understand how some might think they're the be all end all, but for me I just couldn't get into it. After a while I just sold off everything. Or just about.

Children of this day and age expect more out of their toys, engineering wise. They're going to want sturdy figures where the parts are meant to come off with rough play and then be re-attached. On G1 Prime if you snap something off you can't just re-attach it.

So the advent of the ball and socket joint in the design of figures is really a great innovation that has helped improve the toys ten fold.

I do not consider any one figure the best representation of a character, though I have to admit those Masterpieces come pretty darn close. And on the plus side they look very show accurate and can achieve very dynamic poses on the shelf. Staring at static figures for years on end can only hold your attention for so long, in my opinion, if you can accept that than more power to you. Personally I prefer my shelves to incorporate decent action scenes.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
Deception
Crossover

hmmm i'd say rid omega supreme. he combines, looks great and very fun toy.
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deception View Post
hmmm i'd say rid omega supreme. he combines, looks great and very fun toy.
I say this with an annoying nerd voice. Excuse me sir do you mean Energon Omega Supreme? To the best of my knowledge there is no RID Omega Supreme.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
Pascal
Banned

G1 God Ginrai. Out of the 200+ different ones I have, still my favorite Prime-ish toy to this day. F*ck articulation, with this set, I get a truck, 2 trailers, 2 small robots, 1 big robot, 1 super big robot and a base. THAT is playability. Fort Max is very close: he's the only Transformer to have a truly functional base mode, it's a dual Headmaster, my favorite gimmick, and the robot mode is just plain awesome in look and size. Cool weaponry that is well integrated as well.

Last edited by Pascal; 08-24-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote