Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 10-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
hXcpunk23
Generation 1
Universe Kup - WIP

First off, I gotta thank Ninos (WheelJack at Sector70, fellow admin there) for hooking me up with some G1 Kup parts for this. I already had a Kup planned out using the body of a Universe Sunstreaker and these parts changed my original plans just a bit (you'll see in the images below). I know some of you saw that painted up Energon Towline head on top of Sunstreaker's body in some WIP shots of mine in recent months. Well, I'm still using it, but in a different (and better) way. I shaved down the sides of the Energon Towline head, making it thinner. Then, I took two junker G1 Kup heads, hollowed out the helmets and pieced them together over the Energon Towline head. The face gave off a Kup vibe, but still did't quite look like him (still looked too young). So I took my old hobby knife and carved some old age lines in his face, tweaked the helmet a bit and made it fit better over the Towline head, and glued it all together. Once that dried, I took my dremel to the backside of the head and cut off the helmet crest and tried to flatten it a bit. After that, I took my old junker Sunstreaker (the one that I was using as a WIP for Sideswipe when I re-did a G1-styled head for him over a year ago--some of you might remember). Anyway, I cut the chest up, keeping the wheel/arm hinges in-tact so that the transformation is still the same as the Sunstreaker mold. I took some of the G1 Kup parts and set it over it for these shots. Still a huge WIP, but I'll shave down the Sunstreaker hood to fit under the Kup hood more and I'll need to cut away some of the die-cast over the shoulders and neck area to make things work the way I need them to. I also cut the G1 leg above the knee to see how it would look on this and I believe it will work out great, so for now, I'm sticking with the G1 lower legs, the G1 chest/backpack, and the Sunstreaker body, arms, and legs down to the knee. Even I thought I was crazy to see Kup in the Sunstreaker mold, but it honestly works (so far, anyway). This one has been pushed back a bit while I try to finish up on Galvatron, but hopefully I'll get this one done soon after.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy
Re: Universe Kup - WIP

This looks very promising,
The head looks great!
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Head is fantastic. You did a really good job making him look "older." Can't wait to see what the alt mode looks like!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Wow!

Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished product!

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
chans formers
raff ow roud

looking sweet!!(and welcome to "the other side")i want to try this too but it was the fear of diecast that was stopping me.however,after seeing your wip,it's definately doable!!you've inspired me man!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
JLvatron
Chosen 1

inCROYable!
Awesome engineering job on Kup's head! Hollowing out the helmet is brilliant, and the age lines look amaze.

Great job!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

awesome

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
venksta
Render Project Creations

Wow, thats cool how your making the head.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
hXcpunk23
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Maverick View Post
This looks very promising,
The head looks great!
Thanks, bro--glad you like the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Head is fantastic. You did a really good job making him look "older." Can't wait to see what the alt mode looks like!
Thanks, man--when I first slapped it al together, I looked at it and snapped that first shot. That's when I noticed just how young it looked.....definitely not the Kup we know and love. So I performed some minor surgery to his face with my hobby knife. I think it turned out well and gives him that beat up/old look. Still working on this and the others, so hopefully I'll have more progress to show soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky_ibm View Post
Wow!

Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished product!

Cheers!
-Ian
Thanks, Ian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
looking sweet!!(and welcome to "the other side")i want to try this too but it was the fear of diecast that was stopping me.however,after seeing your wip,it's definately doable!!you've inspired me man!!!!
Thanks, bro! "The other side", I like it. lol--As for working with diecast, I almost held off, but once I got rolling with this, I realized that it could be done and done well. I still need to hit the top area where the head is and dremel some of that diecast out. It will be a slow process, but I think this gonna turn out quite nicely (I hope!). Thanks again, glad I could help inspire you a bit! (your work inspires me also--especially your Botcon piece). Keep up the great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
inCROYable!
Awesome engineering job on Kup's head! Hollowing out the helmet is brilliant, and the age lines look amaze.

Great job!
Thanks, man! I wasn't sure how it would turn out at first, but I had a couple of extra Kup heads to try it on, so I went for it. Nearly took off a finger or two in the process also--it's hard to hold that small thing still to try and hollow it out with a dremel running on speed 3 or 4 out of 10. Got lucky and missed the fingers though! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
awesome
Thanks, Bryce! Glad you dig it, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
Wow, thats cool how your making the head.
Thanks, venksta! Glad you like the head also. (love the 3-D Transformers work you do!)
Old 10-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Great job on the head. He looks very promising.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahm, classics, generation 1, kup, universe