Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #61
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's
Thumbs up Re: I said I wouldn’t and I did. Go "figure."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Dec 14 - Omega Sentinel played by WeiJiang Omega Drone

Should I have gone with Guardian or Omega Sentinel with this guy name wise? I guess it didn’t occur to me until last night that the first time we saw them in the G1 cartoon (well for anyone going back that far) they were Guardian Robots but over the last 10 years or so the Sentinel name was applied so out of memory I just went with that. Well it arrived as I was concerned with the rotating postal strikes. I wasn’t sure if this would get here in time even though I did order it early enough but lo and behold here it is and I’d have to say it’s probably the biggest package I had delivered to date. I know the reason for all the free delivery that comes out of China but it sucks that when it comes to our local suppliers they can’t get the free shipping to them as I’d rather spend the money towards supporting them as opposed to having to get it from overseas. But enough of that back to the reason why you’re here today.
I decided to get this in spite of Hasbro doing Omega Supreme as I am sure that the SDCC exclusive figure will be Omega Sentinel and will be the same cost as this anyway and I just want to get closer to the end of MP scale figs as they take up so much room. May have to empty more Detolfs if I go that route but I really like where my collection is going and how it has evolved over the years. Are these as nice as FT or DX9? Probably not but it is less $ and #closeenough .
Well holy shit this thing is big and heavy and not delivered as it was signature required so I had to go and pick it up. Small problem though as I took my Mustang to go pick it up and as you can see I couldn’t exactly hide it in the trunk so the wife wouldn’t see and I knew a few friends were laughing their asses off when I showed them. Anyway I got him in the house figuring it was padding so the box was much smaller but nope just a layer of plastic, the outer box and damn it was just there. Not that it is much taller than a Gen Metroplex box but it was deeper.

I will say he is far more impressive in hand than any pics I have ever seen and heavy as shit. Good overall construction, ratchets strong as almighty heck and loud, good grief I thought I needed hearing protection. If I ever decided to have him lift Trypticon I would never worry about him falling over. The legs have good poseability but I was hoping for just a bit more but I can’t complain. Now unlike the Omega version this guy comes with a bonus face (which I’m going to leave on) I guess to homage Lugnut from TFA when he became Omega cloned, I don’t know. Transformation is pretty simple except for the leg positioning and don’t look at the instructions, there is no point cause they suck. The voice clips are exactly the same as Ultima Guard so no difference there. They are bright enough as well to really make him shine. The way the wings/tracks fold up makes him very, very back heavy so balancing requires the perfect leg position. Another surprise was the Doc bot named Bones. I thought the Doc was only a bonus for the early buyers of Omega and didn’t know he would come with this. I didn’t get many shots of him and you shall find out why soon enough.

I also do have to apologize for the background as the lines do show. I’ve tried ironing this thing like 7 times with no luck and not sure what I can do. Usually I can pull it far enough away or out of focus where it isn’t noticeable but there was a slight problem which could not be avoided. I have shot Metroplex, Fort Max and Trypticon with the same size backgrounds and table but they were not as large in base mode on this guy. 60 cm from end to end for Pete’s sake it was literally hanging off the table on each side which is why the base mode is not fully shown in the shots.
One small gripe I would say is the face being too far back in the helmet but with the Lugnut face in there its ok as that particular face has a protruding chin. You actually can’t even turn the face around to hide it in tank mode Overall though very impressive and I am quite happy with this purchase. I would like to add that actually putting him into my actual display was a 3 hour job as I had to redo the entire cabinet just to get him in. From floor to very tip of the wing is 26”.

And trying to get it in the car as I mentioned
This guy is hugely all kinds of awesome!

The last shot is quite hilarious, kudos to your Mustang for helping bring this thing home.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #62
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: I said I wouldn’t and I did. Go "figure."

Dec 15 - Omega Supreme played by WeiJiang Ultima Guard

Uh oh looks like we have another duplicate. Originally I was going to pass on this but I just don’t want to wait for the Hasbro version as I had originally planned to. When I factor in the rise in price of the Titan Class figures I would have paid the same at full price with tax as I did with this so for now I can live with that decision. If it turns out that Hasbro’s is absolutely amazing then I may consider selling this but the first time I saw the “Doc” bot I knew I wanted at least that but with two of them now I’m sure one will have to go as I would have 0 use for two of these, although I may shove one in with the YOTS Omega Supreme. Nope that won’t work as “Bones” is too big and speaking of which since I had such a hard time with yesterday’s figure this guy’s base mode is just getting shot on the floor, especially since my son really wants to see the tank go around the track, so the base mode pics will be a bit more aerial. Maybe one day I’ll get out Metroplex, Fort Max and all the other Autobot bases out for a pic assuming I can fit them in.

Now as far as the figure goes nothing different from his predecessor (well the one I opened yesterday) except for colouring and for the most part. Since he arrived almost 2 weeks later and my car has been off the road since end of October I had little trouble getting this guy in the truck to get home. The Doc is a little bit different as with this one, the red circle on his chest is translucent but with the other one it’s a solid red. The box also, I’m assuming, was just done as a mass print as the list of contents said it had an extra face but there wasn’t one in the box but I wasn’t expecting it anyway. For a bit more on the figure he is skinnier than the FT or DX9 versions, has a lot more detail than either of them and the tank is a joke by comparison size wise. Regardless it’s not like I’m going to display it in base mode permanently and the bot mode is honestly good enough for me.

One thing to be said is my back was killing me after the shoot only because of how heavy he is and the strength of the ratchets. It took a lot of work just to get those poses and they aren’t super dynamic. One thing I’m going to do to him is remove some of the tracks as it folds up like 5 or 6 times so I will take out whatever I need to and just leave two on each side so I can push them a little further into the corners. My goal is to have 1 in each corner and Zeta Superion in the middle but even with these “OS” Detolfs I fear they may not be big enough but I will find out soon enough I guess. I’m just hoping that the shelf he ends up on can support the weight because there are some heavy Items on it (FT Phoenix and all 5 FT Dinos). I arranged that cabinet in season order originally but I think for the interest of safety the big guys are going to have to go on the bottom shelf as its solid wood instead of glass.

Hopefully Jinbao will finish off the OS Gravity Builder so Omega and Devy can go head to head and toe to toe. See ya tomorrow.

Last edited by wervenom; 12-15-2018 at 08:19 AM.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #63
Landstander
Generation 2

Couple of great bots, but the prime master seems a little out of place in comparison
Landstander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #64
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landstander View Post
Couple of great bots, but the prime master seems a little out of place in comparison
Very true but it's not always about the big guys. Little guys need love too lol

Last edited by wervenom; 12-15-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #65
Landstander
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Very true but it's not always about thr big guys. Little guys need love too lol
Right, but they have to pay lol
Landstander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #66
CanBot
Cybertron

Just wanted to say thank you for what has become a Christmas tradition for me, all because of your hard work, werve. Thanks for doing this for us, and yes, your photography is quite amazing, among some of the very best I have seen.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #67
predahank
Storing is hoarding

What? no desert diorama for the base mode, disappointing

Great work! It's a very tempting piece if you think about how much bot you get for the $$, especially combined with a ebay coupon
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #68
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landstander View Post
Right, but they have to pay lol
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for what has become a Christmas tradition for me, all because of your hard work, werve. Thanks for doing this for us, and yes, your photography is quite amazing, among some of the very best I have seen.
Thank you very much I appreciate that and I will only strive to get better at it. Also thank you for letting me know you enjoy it, it's all about enjoying and sharing the hobby for me and this just seems like a great way to do it at this time of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
What? no desert diorama for the base mode, disappointing

Great work! It's a very tempting piece if you think about how much bot you get for the $$, especially combined with a ebay coupon
If I can find a desert background big enough I'll do it lol. Had to go with this guy since I wanted both him and Guardian and the $$$ the FT cost for both, I'm happy with these and I think they are very impressive for the price
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #69
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Dec 16 - Optimal Optimus played by Perfect Effect PE-DX06 Gorira

I only bought this because I had pre-ordered the PE Megs, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered. It’s not because it’s a bad figure or anything, I just didn’t want one without the other. Now PE did take some liberties but overall I think it’s solid. The bot mode is phenomenal looks wise, articulation is good but was hoping for a bit more shoulder movement without having to break up the look by exposing more joints.

The transformation is ok, a lot of turning of parts with this guy so I went to the “APC” mode first. I’m not sure if I did something wrong because the underneath seemed to look as others done in their reviews and there was very little, if any, clearance for the knees and the gorilla head underneath. They were touching the ground before the wheels were. I made the best adjustments I could but yeah very close contact for sure.

Not too bad looking, no tabs for the hands so they do just kinda sit there. I wish the turret would move but seeing what it is hiding I can understand why that wasn’t an option. From there I went to “plane” mode with toy/original look first and then the PE vision. I can’t say if I prefer one to the other as they are both passable, but let’s face facts, none of his vehicular modes really made that much sense as far as actual vehicles went. I had the same issue with him as I do with Mega Doragon. I really needed a flight stand. I didn’t have to use multiples but it was a real balancing act. Now I should mention that (as I just remembered) with PE Megs, that there was another reason I went with black for Flying Dragon poses was that his wingspan was far too large for the other backgrounds I shot him on. With Optimus his shots are facing down for the balance and I didn’t require black as his wingspan, while large, is nowhere close to that of Megs.

On to beast mode from there and he does look good I gotta say. Articulation is very limited in the legs of this mode, no waist at all which brings me to the worst thing on this figure, especially this being the reissue and they had an opportunity to fix it. There is a little tab that basically holds the top half to the bottom half and one well-placed sneeze and that shit’s toppling over like the first time I ever got really smashed many years ago. Don’t get me wrong, its decent looks wise but a bit of tweaking couldn’t hurt. Regardless of whatever flaws it may have it is really a spectacular piece and now that he has arrived the original Optimal Optimus had to go. It’s nice to have the TM2 leaders actually stand at the same height unlike the Hasbro figs but I did like them both as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #70
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Dec 17 – Optimus Primal played by Generation Toys GT-10 Gorilla T-Beast Dōjinshi Optimus Primal

So first off in the box he comes in bot mode and the legs are intentionally “compressed” for shipping purposes I assume. Now honestly I would have not known that as I didn’t get instructions with it and have reached out to GT to see what they can do with no luck so far. I had to watch a couple of reviews for transformation both ways just to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be.

Ape mode leaves a little to be desired as I would like just a bit more movement on the knees and maybe a way to get the “legs” a bit wider in this mode since the monkey toes are close together and the inside red pieces keep knocking the stomach panel loose which can be a pain. Originally this figure was a pass for me until the Detolf swap came up. I do have a couple of Generation Toys figures and although it looks much better in hand, it feels “cheaper” as far as the plastic goes and he is really light. I’m not afraid of it breaking per say and it’s not flimsy; it just doesn’t have the feel that the other ones do, if that makes sense. Now as for bot mode again looks great but honestly some joints are really weak like the ab crunch. He also really, really needs a better ankle rocker and thigh rotation. This could have been SOOO much better with those. He’s good but not great and that’s a damn shame because in hand he does look awesome.