Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
face
Spawn of Unicron
any decent toy shops in Edmonton?

I'm new to the Edmonton area, are there any decent collectible toy shops in the city I should check out? I know about comex hobby and that other shop in WEM near the theatre with the outrageous prices(collectors edge or something, I think?), but are there any others out there I should know about?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
face
Spawn of Unicron
Re: any decent toy shops in Edmonton?

So is that a no, then?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
sideswipe88
Stig's Asian Cousin

I don't live in Edmonton but I suggest looking around here for help http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/group.php?groupid=10
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
STI 2NV
Energon

We don't currently have any good places for transformers. They're a couple of collector and comic book shops but not much in the way for what we would want.

We have collectors Edge in West Edmonton Mall, they have a few overpriced animated and universe figures and the odd leader sized movie figs

Edmonton Coin and Stamp, Also located in West Edmonton Mall. again small transformers selection.

Warp Comics on Whyte Ave has a couple of transformers, last I was there they had a couple ALTs.

There is a Tattoo shop on Whyte Ave as well that's got a small collection of dirty, dusty G1 figures for lots of money. Or at least more than I feel like paying. IE(500.00 for a mostly complete dusty ass Scorponok)

There is another small comic book shop on Jasper Ave just west of 118th st, that has been known to stock the odd transformer however I have never seen any.

Join the Edmonton Super friends Page that's where you'll find our small sightings page.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
CBII
Animated

Welcome to E-town.

Sadly what STI 2NV listed is about all there is here.

What brought you to oil country?
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
face
Spawn of Unicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBII View Post
Welcome to E-town.

Sadly what STI 2NV listed is about all there is here.

What brought you to oil country?
That's a goddamn shame, Edmonton's a big enough town that I should be able to find any damned random thing I could want! I'll give those places a try, I've also heard about whyte knight, are they worth checking out?

I'm from Victoria, but I've been in lac la biche for most of the past year working, construction last summer and driving truck all winter and I just couldnt take it up there anymore, so I found a construction job in the city, and I'm working on securing an apartment
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

My family moved from the "The Chuck" to Vancouver BC in '86 and I remember seeing the whole TFTM '86 toy collection in the Woodwards display window when we were sightseeing one day. I'd never seen them in Edmonton before let alone any G1s beyond the minicars on pegs at the local Eatons.

Since then I've always been aware how lucky we are on the Wet Coast in terms of 3P sellers and hobby shops that sell TFs. Deadmonton deserves a proper TF-selling shop.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Malibu
Machine War

Theres also a comic shop on 113st. and 132 Ave that has a bunch of g1 bots
Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

There used to be more in Edmonton too, sadly... Back in the day, Metropolis Toys had a pretty good selection of Transformers figures - they brought in a LOT of the Japanese stuff (as in, not just Masterpieces, but Henkei/Galaxy Force/Robot Masters/etc)

Sadly, they eventually closed down. Which I understand was in part due to the economy/their lease expiring, though I imagine the robbery earlier in the year couldn't have helped (they got robbed by people who apparently knew what to steal in terms of merchandise). Even then though, not long before they closed, their connection over in Japan dried up, so they weren't able to get in a lot of the Takara merch they'd taken (no money down) preorders on.

It's not cheap to run a toy store, I imagine, given how much money you need to invest in inventory.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
CBII
Animated

The key is having a solid Jap connection so that you can have stuff that you can't walk down to Walmart or TRU and get...as no one can match them when they have a sale without taking a hit...and lets face it, most of use are cheap asses when it comes to retail items.

Then there is the obvious that you can't just specialize in tfs.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote