Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Nightshade83
Cybertron as a Neutron Star planet?

I'm taking Astronomy as my science concept credit at university. I was just reading through my textbook, getting ready for exams, when this one passage in the section on planets found orbiting neutron stars (the remains of giant stars which exploded, but weren't quite massive enough to form black holes):

"You can imagine what these worlds would be like. Formed from the remains of dying stars, they might have chemical compositions richer in heavy elements than Earth. You can imagine visiting these worlds ... Above you, the neurtron star would giltter in the sky, a tiny point of light."
-- Micheal A. Seeds. Horizons: Exploring the Universe 10ed. pg. 237 (underlines are mine)

This makes perfect scientific sense, since the supernovae explosions that form neutron stars (and their planets) in the first place are also the source for just about every element in the universe with an atomic weight heavier than helium.

"Heavier elements" could easily mean "metals"

Hmm, a metal planet ...

Very, very interesting development. I wonder why none of the comic or cartoon writers have picked up on a golden opportunity like this!

Decepticons? I've survived Unicron AND being a Headmaster ... TO A WHINY LITTLE HUMAN BRAT!!!

My Transformers fanfiction: Vapour Trails ,
Prayer
Devart page: http://violetlight83.deviantart.com/
Nightshade83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Cybertron as a Neutron Star planet?

The only problem comes up in the selected origins of given Transformers continuity.

In G1 Marvel Comics which more or less is becoming "THE origin" of Cybertron. Cybertron was originally an asteriod which Primus then molded and turned into what is Cybertron.

In the G1 cartoon universe that was recently retconned by some Japan concepts have "The Oracle" taking a dead planet and turning it into a lush green planet much like earth, but then the Quints showed up, took control of the Oracle and turned it into Vector Sigma, created the Key to Vector Sigma and began to terraform the planet to it's more fimilar metallic structure.

Cybertron II (which was founded by Rodimus Convoy), was a dead planet that was brought to life by using the Matrix, it went from being Planet Micro, to Planet Zone and finally Planet Cybertron (II), seen in Beast Wars onward.

Why they never went with this method (the one you mention in your original post)..... I guess it would be too.... "natural". Like imagine that after the planet formed, the metal had it's own form of primordial soup, which gears and cogs evolving into smaller components and onto what would be simple robots.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 11-25-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Wouldn't the highly magnetic nature of a neutron star, as well as the massive doses of x-rays it puts out make survival for a species composed of electronic and metallic devices slightly difficult?
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
CMDR Starfire Prime
Generation 1

That's very profound Protoman it conjors up images
CMDR Starfire Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

I assumed that the star nearest Cybertron collapsed while Cybertron was already in existence and that it was just so far away that it didn't destroy Cybertron in the process. Just crippling it and plunging it in darkness.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Welcome Cmdr Starfire Prime!

Anyways, back to the topic. In the original G1 series doens't Cybertron "drift" through the galaxy without a star? Although since their war has been going on for millions of years it's possible the planet outlived its star and just drifted away... Not all stars go out with a bang, some go out with a whimper.

Then again what does a machine planet need with a star anyways? Give it internal generators that create heat and electricity, a magnetic field to protect from harmful interference from space, and some lights, and it really has all it needs for robots.

Now, how did humans survive on cybertron without any special suits when they visited? We'll have to assume that cybertron does have an atmsophere for some reason (maybe the quints breathe?) and that it was kept at some settings that support human life.

Protoman, any information on what the Japanese continuity did with Quintessa? How did the Quints make that? It seems to me they were following their desire to create robotic imitations of life, but if they did it on cybertron using the oracle, wouldn't they need access to the orcale to make Quintessa too?

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 11-25-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Now, how did humans survive on cybertron without any special suits when they visited? We'll have to assume that cybertron does have an atmsophere for some reason (maybe the quints breathe?) and that it was kept at some settings that support human life.
Cybertron does have an atmosphere. It also has acid rain.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Induced acid rain, we don't know if it naturally rains

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
chisau

Neutron star don't have a "comfort zone". even assuming that there is any orbiting bodies after the supernova. anything that still orbits a neutron star is either a dead rock or a gas giant.
chisau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Welcome Cmdr Starfire Prime!

Anyways, back to the topic. In the original G1 series doens't Cybertron "drift" through the galaxy without a star? Although since their war has been going on for millions of years it's possible the planet outlived its star and just drifted away... Not all stars go out with a bang, some go out with a whimper.

------------------------

Protoman, any information on what the Japanese continuity did with Quintessa? How did the Quints make that? It seems to me they were following their desire to create robotic imitations of life, but if they did it on cybertron using the oracle, wouldn't they need access to the orcale to make Quintessa too?
For the first part. In the G1 Marvel comic, Cybertron was broken from it's own planetary orbit due to the sheer FORCE of the war and thus was flying through space. In the G1 cartoon, we had Cybertron taken from it's orbit in Alpha Centauri and brought to Earth by Megatron.

The origin of Quintessa is unknown, but considering how they were quick to destroy their "home planet" to defeat the Autobots in Season 3's Five Faces of Darkness, one would assume they will "just get another". In the UK comics, that seemed to be the case where they would just take over one planet and turn it into their own. They don't seem to need a form of Oracle due to the fact that they were able to make Sharkticons without it prior to creating Cybertron.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote