Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #491
Pascal
Banned
Re: A cool Value Village find ! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky_ibm View Post
You have to remember that a kid is probably going to want a Pokemon or Batman figure rather than a 20 year old robot toy with missing pieces.
But from what I read here, you can also find recent toys too, and in complete form... My 2 cents.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #492
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
But from what I read here, you can also find recent toys too, and in complete form... My 2 cents.
COUNTERPOINT :O ZOMG
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #493
Pascal
Banned

I'm probably jealous because I've never ever found a single Transformer at VV (only been once though) or any yard sale. LOL!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #494
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'm probably jealous because I've never ever found a single Transformer at VV (only been once though) or any yard sale. LOL!
I can certainly see your POV, but think its also kind of a slippery slope.

I mean how many times has a kid on a low budget been unable to get that new Deluxe Transformer of McDreamybot during a sale because of all the collectors sweeping through TRU and Walmart before him or her?

I'm personally not going to claim any high ground for myself, some of what I find at VV goes into my own collection, some gets customized, some gets sold and some even gets given away(like the fifty or so McDonalds toys we gave away to kids at our Transformers Fan Club table at C4 last year.)

The extra toys from the bags I purchase(that I don't want of course) actually get donated back to VV for them to sell again too.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #495
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions

I do something similar with the extra toys I get in those bags; I give em to our local thrift store

lol besides, if I already have the fig, why buy it? xD
Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #496
GDkitty
Machine War
GDkitty's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
well pascal does make a good point. but I kinda consider it like a retiurement for these toys; they got some good playtime out of them and now they're part of a collection.

XD but back on topic, the VV in newmarket's dry. XD most of the toy bags are at the front and you'd be lucky if you found anything TF related. XD I have better luck at our local thrift store
No wonder i never find anything up there Mal, you're probably stealing them all first :P

WANTED: Here are my current wants, mostly ALOT of G1 combiner guys/parts
FOR SALE: Current items and LOTS of parts for sale
TF Collection: My complete list of transformers, ones highlighted are definately up for trade, other may trade depending on what traded for.
GDkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #497
joshimus
Metroplex

For those that feel it's unjust to buy at VV, this is what I do to balance things out. I donate toys I don't want, clothes and other crap that others can use. I rarely buy at VV, mostly just look for parts, but I do on occasion donate just because I can.
You may take away a few toys from some unprivileged kids, but if you donate you open up more possibilities too.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #498
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I claim no high ground on this, but I don't see purchasing stuff at VV as any different than purchasing it at any other store. VV isn't a charity. They make a profit. They work with charities, but like I said they're in the business of making a buck. Case in point I saw a incomplete G1 ultra magnus in he showcase for $60. Some how I don't think someone in a low income situation is in a position to buy that.

FYI: I've heard stories about people that own clothing stores and got to VV to get inventory which they sell for a huge mark up. If anything I'd be more worried about somebody getting cloths and shoes rather than a cheap toy.

I've had an instance where I had a cybertron metroplex in my hand priced at $1.99. I was standing around looking for stuff when a kid obviously wanted it, so I gave it to him. I don't fight kids for toys, but if you think about it. If you don't buy it, probably some other collector will. But you should do what you can when you can. I think that's the important thing.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #499
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDkitty View Post
No wonder i never find anything up there Mal, you're probably stealing them all first :P
*jumps into the air and scene freezes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
I claim no high ground on this, but I don't see purchasing stuff at VV as any different than purchasing it at any other store. VV isn't a charity. They make a profit. They work with charities, but like I said they're in the business of making a buck. Case in point I saw a incomplete G1 ultra magnus in he showcase for $60. Some how I don't think someone in a low income situation is in a position to buy that.

FYI: I've heard stories about people that own clothing stores and got to VV to get inventory which they sell for a huge mark up. If anything I'd be more worried about somebody getting cloths and shoes rather than a cheap toy.

I've had an instance where I had a cybertron metroplex in my hand priced at $1.99. I was standing around looking for stuff when a kid obviously wanted it, so I gave it to him. I don't fight kids for toys, but if you think about it. If you don't buy it, probably some other collector will. But you should do what you can when you can. I think that's the important thing.
exactly man, if I was there and I grabbed a toy, but some kid wanted it, course I'd let him have it (after a fight of course x3 j/k). Besides, not all kids are rushing into Value Village to buy Transformers; some go in to get "toys" of any kind. ^^

lol besides, I bought some parts for Sick Kids Inferno from Value Village. XD I mean seriously, what kid would wanna buy a toy with no head? lol
Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #500
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
*jumps into the air and scene freezes*

exactly man, if I was there and I grabbed a toy, but some kid wanted it, course I'd let him have it (after a fight of course x3 j/k). Besides, not all kids are rushing into Value Village to buy Transformers; some go in to get "toys" of any kind. ^^

lol besides, I bought some parts for Sick Kids Inferno from Value Village. XD I mean seriously, what kid would wanna buy a toy with no head? lol
Well.... I mean...... I wanted toys without heads when I was a child. But then they normally came with little figures that just happened to fit into a neck hole. Oddly enough the backs of the little figures had faces on them. Was the weirdest thing.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote