Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions
Re: PIC REQUEST: Alts and MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Binaltech > Alternators.
Disagree 100%. Alternators were all plastic which was better given they didn't get paint chips.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #12
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
...alt or robot mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
They both have excellent alt modes.

You still haven't answered the main question posed to you. It's less of "Which is better, MPs or Alts?" and more of "How G1 does a figure need to be for your collection?"

If you absolutely need everything to be as G1 as possible, then you shouldn't be looking at Alternators/Binaltechs anyways, and MPs are the way to go.

If you don't mind a larger figure as well as a general "re-imagining" of your G1 cars, only THEN should you consider getting Alternators/Binaltechs.
The question could also be rephrased as "Do you prefer cartoon accurate or real world accurate?"

Binaltech (and the die cast-less domestic equivalent Alternators) focused on realistic vehicles modes. Robot modes were reimagined around the framework of the comtemporary vehicle. Most of them were (and still are) marvels of engineering. But they quickly lost popularity when CHUGs emerged with smaller yet modern versions of our beloved G1 characters that were slightly closer to how they looked on TV.

Masterpiece presents a balance between screen accurate robot, screen accurate vehicle mode and modern toy engineering. Sure, you may not be able to crack walnuts with any MPs (I swear my Binaltech Shockblast was sturdy enough to), but heft has been sacrificed for looking like they just jumped out of the TV screen and dreams of your childhood.

So, OP...ask yourself "What do I want? Real word or 'toon accurate?" Neither answer is right or wrong, but both are expensive.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
tusko
Classic

Some random slightly off topic pics. Just because.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
PrimalEnvy
Reverse Corte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
They both have excellent alt modes.

You still haven't answered the main question posed to you. It's less of "Which is better, MPs or Alts?" and more of "How G1 does a figure need to be for your collection?"

If you absolutely need everything to be as G1 as possible, then you shouldn't be looking at Alternators/Binaltechs anyways, and MPs are the way to go.

If you don't mind a larger figure as well as a general "re-imagining" of your G1 cars, only THEN should you consider getting Alternators/Binaltechs.
Didn't see this earlier. I'm looking more for real world accuracy. G1 accuracy doesn't really matter to me here.
PrimalEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Mercutio
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalEnvy View Post
Didn't see this earlier. I'm looking more for real world accuracy. G1 accuracy doesn't really matter to me here.
Interesting. I love realistic alt modes myself, and the Binaltech/Alternators line has some of the most gorgeous, detailed alt modes ever. They look perfect, like model cars; you can't tell they're transformers untill you start looking closely. They also have full interiors, something the MP line lacks. And of course, they're much larger than the MP cars, if that matters.

I would say the MPs have better-proportioned, generally better-looking bot modes. Quite a bit of kibble on some of the Alternators. But some, like the Subaru or the RX-8, still look pretty good in bot mode.

If you want to try one, I'd recommend Binaltech Meister (Jazz). The RX-8 is arguably the best Binaltech mold, and there's no MP for Jazz yet anyway.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
mr_lude2000
Generation 1

all series have their pros and cons, but please dont hate on binaltechs if you have not owned any (not directing this to anyone specific).
binaltechs (and old school MP and alternity figures) represent one of the highest level of build quality for the TF brand.
for my two cents, i love all these series! as a tf fan from the beginning, we have been spoiled with a lot of choices.

new MP cars are amazing G1 representation of the toon, and yes they are much lower quality of plastic that say alternators. at times the quality does not look much better than the standard Cw offerings for example.
mr_lude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Disagree 100%. Alternators were all plastic which was better given they didn't get paint chips.
None of my Binaltech figures have paint chips. It's just a matter of giving your toys the respect they deserve. They're adult collectibles, not toys you throw on the wall.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

I much prefer my MPs, my alts haven't gotten a lot of play time in a long time. The transformations are neat, and I like that they restricted themselves mostly to the car's actual panel lines, but the bot modes did suffer.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
Marcotron
Robot Master

Here's another comparison. Which MP Optimus do you have?
MP-01/04 was made to size well with the Alternators/Binaltech line. MP-10 was made smaller and scales better with the newer MP cars etc.
So, it depends on who they are standing/parked next to.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #20
PrimalEnvy
Reverse Corte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
Here's another comparison. Which MP Optimus do you have?
MP-01/04 was made to size well with the Alternators/Binaltech line. MP-10 was made smaller and scales better with the newer MP cars etc.
So, it depends on who they are standing/parked next to.
Only MPs I have are Skywarp and Grimlock. I also have Alt Tracks, though I used to have Hound.
PrimalEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote