Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ
Re: TFCon 2018 *Unofficial* Feedback Thread

As a vendor,

Pros:
- Great Staff and Volunteers, very helpful and respectful
- Tasty Water stations
- Nice long setup time on Friday 3-8pm
- Friday night Auction is a fun event, I hope you guys raised a lot to grant another wish
- Very busy Saturday vendor room with lots of Guests helped keep the momentum going

Cons:
- Short setup time on Sunday 9-10am, my table mate and I were fortunate to sell well on Sat, but didn't have quite enough time on Sunday to replenish stock or change out poor performing products for fresh and tasty wares
- Cargo elevator sometimes has and operator and sometimes doesn't, I know this isn't TFCONs fault but some clarity (and availability of the elevator) from the Hotel would be nice
- Slower traffic on Sunday, may be due to the change of being a TFCON day rather than an 80's Expo day
- Shorter day on Sunday
- No free foot massages

Tip:
- Maybe to help prevent another incident like which happened to Nick, provide some helpful tips to vendors on good practices on managing incoming monies, such as using a pouch or table partner, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herooftheday316 View Post
One complaint I have is that certain vendors are super uninteresting.
That sounds like a cheap shot at my table ... J/K dude

Don't worry I'm sure you will see a whole lot of variety next TFCON after the Bumblebee Movie hits theatres and floods the Toy and Con aisles with yellow ABS/PVC
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca

Last edited by CobraCommander; 07-18-2018 at 01:03 PM.
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
freakx2001
Transformers Animated
freakx2001's Ebay Auctions

Hey,

Nice to see someone start the feedback thread. I was wondering when was going to show up. Overall I had fun. This year I managed to pre-arrange 13 deals with fellow collectors before even making it to Toronto. So I was happy with that. I met so many great people.

I have a few small things I'd like to point out. Someone mentioned before me, that they didn't like that there were no lanyards this years, and I have to agree. First off I used to love how they doubled as a handy schedule, and really miss them as a souvenir from the show. Please re-consider this for next year or at the least brand the wrist bands with the Show and year. I have to say I was really disappointed when they said they didn't have any when I bought my ticket.

Second thing. So I believe this is one of these things where you can't please everyone. However I think this is my 6th or 7th TFcon, and every year the first day is TF and the second day is 80's. I was shocked to find out on Sunday that this had changed. Why I understand making it 2 days of TFcon, I'm not really sure if that works. The vendors get stale.

My four year old was so excited to see the Star Wars 501st guys all dressed up. Upon entering on Sunday I asked if they were around and was told that this weekend was just advertised as Transformers and that the 80's stuff is now completely separated. So the Star Wars guys would not be showing up and there wouldn't be any change over of product.
Wow I was shocked and disappointed.

It's funny because the night before I had a conversation with a collector (who flew in from BC) explaining to him how Sunday is usually about 30%-40% different. Where some vendors leave and others come in to replace them. Well to my surprise this was not the case. I actually ran into the same collector on Sunday, and I had to stop him to explain that I was completely wrong, so he didn't think I was crazy or something LOL.

For me personally Sunday, was sort of a wash, as there was really nothing new to see. Normally the outside hallway is full of new items and bins to poke through. It was disappointing.

Also I agree with a previous comment of, why on Sunday did the dealer room and the first important panel of the day both start at 10:00 am. Personally I think this should have been spaced out a bit more.

Now I know this all sounds bad, but there are just a few items I wanted to point out, so the feedback can go to people to make decisions about next years event.

Overall the guests were amazing. The Atmosphere was great. Just a few minor things that need to be adjusted.

TDLR:
Missed the lanywards - Please bring them back!
Sunday not being 80's stuff was a bummer
Schedule for Sunday start time needs to be tweaked

Last edited by freakx2001; 07-18-2018 at 02:39 PM.
freakx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
herooftheday316
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
That sounds like a cheap shot at my table ... J/K dude
NEVER! I visited you half the time

-Mike
Old 07-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #14
BigWillay
Robot Master

Had a great time, got to hang out with my crew, and finally put some names to some faces. Only had a few complaints, Werevenom mentioned one of my big ones, If there are "rules" as to what you have to have at your table why were there people not following those rules. Found it kind of annoying as I was looking for other stuff than just Transformers. To me if they paid for the table why should there be any control over what they place up for sale?

Second I guess there were no sponsors as per se as the last few years we've been getting our tote bag with bonuses inside (last year razor and fruit water)

Third only one dealer room this year? Last year there were dealers on the other side of the Hotel (would have allowed for some more space had it been used) and I am curious as to why the display cabinets featuring the prototypes were hidden down the back hall?

Lastly I think there needs to be some better format or organization for those who bought online tickets, it was a little more money then just buying them at the show and there was little to any advantage... we were still lined up with everyone else only to be asked to line up to the other side to register and then to go get back in line. For some who didn't have friends waiting in the entrance line they had to go to the back of the line which meant they could miss the exclusives. I know myself I was there at 7:15am, and if I hadn't had buddies who already registered on Fri night who I was waiting with, had I been made to go start again from the back I would have been really annoyed.

As for the exclusives I fully understand limiting them to 1 per person. But would be nice if at some point there are some extras left an announcement could be made. As well I noticed no one tracking who bought what. I could have easily dropped stuff at my car and come back and bought more. Maybe we need some kind of hole punched or stamp on our bracelet so people can recognize that we have already bought an exclusive.

Also really sad about what happened to Nick, glad the community came together to help out on the Sunday, I know how busy the show can get and how the crowds become overwhelming, sad that someone would stoop to that.

Last edited by BigWillay; 07-18-2018 at 05:06 PM.
BigWillay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #15
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

I have a different opinion on the now 2 days straight TFCon arrangement: why can't we have a convention for TF all by its own? There will be a 80's Toys Expo or something coming up anyway organized by the same team so you have a chance for the other non-TF stuffs.

As for the 2nd dealer room last year: it was a disaster for the dealers who stuck over there because there is simply not much traffic. I was there as a dealer last year so I know. I guess for some less dealers means less things to choose from which I can fully understand the feeling but there is only so much room at that hotel/convention centre.

I think this year's selection at the tables/booths were not bad. As a small amateur dealer I tried to offered a wide varieties of stuffs from my collections, and when I had the chance to walked around a bit I see a few things from G1 to the latest offerings (HasTak + 3rd party). I just don't have the dough to get it all Yes, there were some stuffs that I wanted that couldn't be found but all in all I am happy.

As for some of the exclusives that are in limited number: I didn't get the chance to get a Drift. I guess it can't be help when they don't even get most of the stocks in. Well, at least I got a MakeToys G2 Not-Jazz/Maestro and I am fine with that.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, it was a fun time this year and thanks for the organizer and the volunteers to make this happened! I am looking forward for the next TFCon already

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 07-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
Stormrave
Machine War

Pros:

The waterslide remains a delight

We had good luck in the dealer's room this year. Last year we'd been a bit disappointed on the 80s toys side of things. This year, despite the "no big reset," we came home with MLP, Gundam and Macross stuff. So maybe it was just luck of the draw - this year catered to other interests for us as well as TF's.

Retro Joad's booth is always a delight and provided me with some CHUG toys at fair prices

I got the con exclusive Drift and Howlback/Garboil, which were great

I do notice more big dealers and fewer smaller ones but I ended up patronizing both

I enjoyed Ninjatron's panel about Transformers around the world and Matt's panel about differences between Japanese and North American Transformers. These obscure little weirdnesses are so delightful. Both panels were excellent.

David Wise was a delight and I'm so glad he came. I really like the idea of getting cartoon writers and I'd be happy to meet more in future years.

I'm always entertained by James Roberts' panels and scripts. He mentioned to me that he'd like to do cons even after Lost Light ends, so I hope that happens. This year I felt as though most of my questions might be spoiler-y so once the comic is over he'll be able to talk much more freely about answers to any other questions.

It was great to see Alex, Sara and Nick in artist's alley.

Cons:

The most obvious con of course would be what happened to Nick, but kudos to the folks who made the pins to support him. I was happy to do some holiday shopping there and throw money for pins. I had also restrained myself to buying just one print, but on Sunday I went back for the other print I wanted, to show Nick some support, and he told me that what he'll remember isn't the thief/thieves but the community rallying behind him. He also said he wants to come back

The other con is the Quest Bar's food, which hit a nasty low this year. I've eaten there regularly in past years and tried most of the menu items, and until this year I enjoyed the food, but this year when I joined my friends, they had: nachos that were cold and soggy when they were served; chicken fingers that were hard and dry (possible freezer burn?); and a burger that they set down after just two bites. While I like the atmosphere of everyone hanging out in the bar, I had no desire to pay those prices for seriously bad food. So, this year the only thing I had in the bar was one of the con drinks. The rest of the time I was taking my business elsewhere. (I strongly recommend Skyway Jack's, the diner next to Burger King, for good prices, HUGE portions and delicious food.)
Stormrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #17
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

I really enjoyed TFCon 2018, present for Friday & Saturday

Was at charity auction for a lil bit (fun), left to take kid to the pool before bed, came back at the end for the feeding frenzy, snatched a couple of loose/complete CWs on the cheap

Registered Friday night because I've been around the block once or twice, so Saturday lineup was wasn't bad for me
Have to say, the signs for (register on the left, lineup to get in on the right) probably could have been up earlier, people in front and behind me all lined up early with no registration, had to plead with others in the line to let them keep their places
I don't recall seeing the sign on my way down, first time I recall seeing it was on the way out later on around 10ish
So just saying, sign could have been out earlier to catch the earlybirds

Arranged a number of pre-purchases from board members, significantly more than last year - cool to make some connections

Wasn't looking for con exclusives, but paid the early in order to rush first crack at items I might be after that could be low quantity; surprisingly (same as most already said) I didn't find much I was after, honestly spent the first 30-40 mins just serpentine-ing the aisles trying to see if I missed something

Didn't actually purchase something until about the 30mins in - a number of items I was looking for, either couldn't find or were above-budget
Which isn't to say I didn't come away with anything cool, just not quite what I was aiming for (unrealistic expectations I guess?)

I've been attending on Sundays in the past, but changing work schedule has me visiting Fri&Sat recent years - didn't click for me that Sundays were the (more variety of toy lines) day, or used to be anyways
Wife and daughter also like toys/dolls, so fairly disappointed to hear about the "full TFs all weekend" thing - one year we attended, wife cleaned up with a mad Jem/StreetSharks haul, never been able to replicate that success since

Seconding Skyway Jack's, a really cozy breakfast
Ming Room was delicious, but no AC killed it for me a bit

First time buying Repros in-person, got a slight discount for buying seven label sets at once, thx dudes

Probably the most I've spent at the con so far, really excited for the figs I picked up though, see you all at the next con!
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #18
Slayback
Animated

As a seller

First - not sure what you mean herooftheday316. Maybe you could clarify? - to me it sounds like some of us need to stop selling what we're selling and sell something else? For me that's kind of how i can redirect people.. for example someone is looking for Japanese gundamy stuff.. - i can say oh - go head to It came from Japan's table... the smiley bald guy with glasses! or ..you want MMC stuff -go to A3U with all the red table cloths.. or Planet X stuff - that taller gent with his asian wife ...sitting over there..; or G1 stuff - go visit Russ with his stacked up black shelves! Sellers get known for selling their certain stock. It's how they get to come back each year, because i would think that they're somewhat successful with that product line. I mean if they failed and kept coming back with no sales.. then i guess by all means - switch inventory..

2. Ya .. sunday kinda was weird. The 1 hour thing was a bit of a shock for myself and the crew. We had already been switching things over on saturday evening when we had been advised they were closing. We had a bit of a fiasco on the friday setup so i really needed more than the hour. I was lucky that they had started to let dealers in about 10 min early.
I actually had based my strategy on the Sunday Action Figure day... I had about 5 bins of action figures to put out along with the BAFs.. so needless to say i was shocked when very very few Action figure folks showed.. Some of the FB action figure groups had noted that there only a push for the TFs so thats why they weren't coming.

3. I'd like to thank the gent who noticed my loose transformer bins, and the young lady who asked for the animated transformer bins. Got me a lot more activity on sunday.

4. Still sunday... when i turned around to look through my shelves.. all i saw were big swathes of nothing. There wasn't anyone wandering the aisles. I think that in itself is an indication that a 2day- con isn't strong enough - unless you give it some serious support. More panels, or transformers karaoke or transformer colouring contests .. something. As a seller i'm there to work, meet customers, pay my staff, and move product. Hard to do if people don't want to come in for another TF day. Not saying it can't happen - just saying, perhaps we need to add some robustness to the event planning on the sunday if it is going to be a 2 day TF day.

5. As for the missing Exclusive stock.. as of wed- it still hasnt even gotten out of the states yet. The small amount that they had at the show -was sent at the same time with the other 2 shipments. We've been calling and no one seems to understand why it's not here yet.

Thanks to Mr.C for making things happen and promoting the show. The staff was great - and were good to myself and my team. If there were any errors - i'm sure it'll all get ironed out.

SB
Madhaus

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #19
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

This TFCon has been the most fun I've had in a long time.
Mind you, TFCon has long stopped being about the toys, and more about the people that you hang out with to me. Like I explain to non-TFCon friends: TFCon is like the annual fishing trip; if you catch any fish (TFs), all the better, but it's mainly about the company.

Dealer room was ok. I did feel there was a lot less bins and "older" toys around, and more of people selling recent retail stuff, or online stores selling the latest and greatest 3P offerings. Selection seemed decent, but I wasn't really hunting much anyways.

I'll echo herooftheday316 in the fact that there were a couple of dealers with really stale stock; I'm pretty sure it's been roughly the same stuff that's been on their tables for many years.

A few other things that I think might help a bit:
- I liked the lanyards from previous years as well; it made both a nice souvenir and a quick-access schedule
- Maybe use the Greenwich room for autographs and photos with the guests (with big signs pointing the way, obviously)
- In an effort to be more environmentally-friendly, there's gotta be some way to start using paperless E-tickets on the Eventbrite app on smartphones.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
Big Filipino
Protectobot

This year's TFCon helped rekindle a "spark" (if you will) for Transformers that was somewhat diminishing over the last few years. Having missed out on my first TFCon in 9 years in 2017, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about coming back this year.

I walked away not only feeling rejuvenated and anxious to see what Hasbro will be putting out next, but motivated to track down things that I had let pass me by over the last 2 years. A lot of that has to do with finally taking time to appreciate what was out there but also witnessing the joy that so many of us have found in these little pieces of plastic. It's really quite contagious.

Moreover, the outpouring of support I witnessed for Nick Roche with our table right beside the pin sales on Sunday reminded me of why Transformers fans really are some of the best and that TFCon is (as so many have said) not just about getting toys but about seeing friends, hanging out and feeling like a kid again.

My only regret was that I didn't buy more stuff but I think my wife is more than happy about that fact.

Special thanks to all of you who stopped by Cobra Commander's and my table to talk TFs and to make a purchase. It was very much appreciated.

Last edited by Big Filipino; 07-19-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Big Filipino is offline   Reply With Quote