Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
doublej
Generation 2
Insuring a collection

How do you go about insuring your collection? Is it covered as a part of your household items or is it a separate item from the contents of your house (such as jewellery)? Did you need to get it appraised? If so, who the heck appraises this stuff?

Everything in my collection is photographed with a marker of some sort. However, I don't know what the next step would be.

If you don't mind sharing the process you went through or have any advice with getting your collection insured, it would be greatly appreciated.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!
Re: Insuring a collection

From what I remember reading somewhere, it's difficult to get toy collections insured via home insurance because:
a) They normally don't insure toys (which, realistically, is what they really are)
b) If you want to insure them as "collectibles", they fall under the same bucket/category as antiques, and will then be calculated with the rates/premiums related to those.

Take that with a grain of salt, however, since it was just something I read on another forum years ago.

That being said, I'd have no idea who or what is needed. I mean, they really are just toys. There'd be no one really out there who'd realistically appraise Transformers for insurance purposes.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
ironclaugh
Armada

I have just spoke with my insurance company about this. Insuring my transformers as a "Collection." After they are all logged and valued I just have to have an agent go over the lists with the physical objects. It should only cost from $60-$100 a year.
ironclaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #4
Megatron75
Alternator

If your collection is worth a significant amount of money, then it might be something to worth looking into.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
Protoman
The Legend

You won't be able to afford it.

Let's put it this way.

If your collection is at that point of insuring, then think about the money it must be worth.

Now if insurance on a Ferrari which starts at $150,000 is on average sometimes $350 bucks a month (one way) can you imagine having a collection that is even more expensive than that...... and paying THAT a month in the assumption shit would go down

Get a dog, don't live near water, don't put your collection in flood easy basements, don't buy houses with slope garages, lock your doors/get an alarm and you should be fine

Personal advice.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Window
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
You won't be able to afford it.

Let's put it this way.

If your collection is at that point of insuring, then think about the money it must be worth.

Now if insurance on a Ferrari which starts at $150,000 is on average sometimes $350 bucks a month (one way) can you imagine having a collection that is even more expensive than that...... and paying THAT a month in the assumption shit would go down

Get a dog, don't live near water, don't put your collection in flood easy basements, don't buy houses with slope garages, lock your doors/get an alarm and you should be fine

Personal advice.
Comparing auto insurance to insuring a collection is comparing apples to oranges and shows how little you understand insurance.

It will be relatively inexpensive to insure a collection under a home-owners or tenants policy because the risks it is exposed to are far fewer than an auto.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
anemis
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window View Post
Comparing auto insurance to insuring a collection is comparing apples to oranges and shows how little you understand insurance.

It will be relatively inexpensive to insure a collection under a home-owners or tenants policy because the risks it is exposed to are far fewer than an auto.
that was just an example he was saying.. he might have said a vase or a neckless or any other thing that,s worth something.... his analogy is correct... trust me with the collection he has, he probably already checked for that
anemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

This thread on tfw2005 might be helpful:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutori...ollection.html

Usually they don't qualify as collectibles because the definition in most insurance policies are limited to antiques/coins/artwork, etc. and the companies don't view toys as coming under this definition.

You're definitely asking the right questions, and with collections of this type becoming more common and out there on shows like Pawn Stars, collection intervention, etc., insurance companies should be aware of this issue, and be able to explain their terms clearly to you. Make sure you get it in writing - even if that writing is your notes from the meeting (reviewed with your agent and dated/signed preferably).

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #9
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
From what I remember reading somewhere, it's difficult to get toy collections insured via home insurance because:
a) They normally don't insure toys (which, realistically, is what they really are)
b) If you want to insure them as "collectibles", they fall under the same bucket/category as antiques, and will then be calculated with the rates/premiums related to those.

Take that with a grain of salt, however, since it was just something I read on another forum years ago.

That being said, I'd have no idea who or what is needed. I mean, they really are just toys. There'd be no one really out there who'd realistically appraise Transformers for insurance purposes.
Props to you Newt.

Last I checked most collectible insurance companies cover only the US. That was years ago.

http://lsminsurance.ca/life-insuranc...e-collectibles

ask around, you need to make phone calls and find out for yourself.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

The wife put all of collections, books, mangas, videogames and toys with the house insurance.

Just don't expect collectors pricing.