Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 11-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #61
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Masterpiece Megatron V2 Official Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
If this wasn't an official Takara product, I'm sure most of us would be a lot MORE forgiving about these flaws.
Here, I fixed things for you.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #62
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I believe Masterpiece in most transformer collector's mind is about making the toy look as close as possible to the G1 cartoon image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msol View Post
Our preferences just don't line up in what we value more. You value clean lines more, some of us value nailing to the cartoon model. It's *impossible* to do both. I feel the pros of this figure outweigh the cons, you feel the opposite. There's nothing objective about it.
Fair enough, I will concede in that my perception of what defines a Masterpiece doesn't appear to fit everyone else's definition.

I do indeed agree that one of those defining qualities is to make the toy look toon accurate. But illustrations are also subjective to whoever drew the character in a particular screenshot. The proportions in one scene are not the necessarily the same as they are in another. The split image referenced does fit well together, but it does so just for that particular piece of illustration.

In order to look toon accurate, should it not be more than just a matter of proportions, color and silhouette? Where or when in the toons do you see THAT many panel lines in the collar or crotch

Proportions are still subjective anyway and I said before, I could let that go; although not ideal on MP-36, they don't bother me as much as the lack of clean lines.

And if we're going to argue how messy Mightron's back is, MP-36 is just as much of a clusterfuck on the back side as his collar area:

In Mightron's defense, there does seem to be a way to turn the trigger guard to give his backpack a more symmetry (except for the iconic gun barrel, of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
For every Optimus Prime, Soundwave, and Shockwave, that do manage a miraculous transformation and look fantastic from almost every angle, you also have the MP Seekers, which are kibbly messes from the back, or MP12/14 and MP25/26, full of such visible gaps when you turn them sideways you can hardly believe the designers couldn't figure out a better solution.

The point is they're not perfect, but they're still really cool figures that more or less succeed at a sometimes impossible task of giving you an accurate alt mode and an accurate bot mode in the same toy.

^^ Thanks, PK. You said it best. Prime, Soundwave, even the Datsuns (IMO) evoke the best of both bot and alt modes, but in MP-36's case I think he has an amazing gun mode and a less successful bot mode.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #63
funkmasterke
Custom User Title

It's a shame the price of the official mp is higher than the 3p attempts, but then I guess they also ended up making the superior version. All 4 have flaws but I feel like the MP's version has ones that are easier to overlook.

Despotron proportions and head sculpts are just too awful to overlook.

DX9's attempt was better but it's legs look retarded and it has very similar proportions to Apolloyn.

Appolloyn is pretty much Mp5 2.0 it's the only one to actually come with the gun stock and barrel. It's also scary fragile.

Sure the back of the Mp36 isn't that desirable but it has the best proportions, faces and altmode.