Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
ohnaji
Beasty
Consumer analysis of Ultimate BB- Long Read

Thanks to forum member Faustx, I was able to get my grubby hands on an Ultimate Bumblebee. There’s a lot to be said about this figure. With the word Ultimate in its name, a tremendous amount of expectations comes with it. After spending a good amount of time with this figure here are things to consider.
This is a gargantuan figure. From head to toe it stands nearly 13.5 inches. It towers over all other movie figures. Not only is it tall, but it has a fair amount of bulk as well. It requires a lot of space.
On an aesthetic level, Ultimate BB embraces the design philosophy set from the movie. In robot mode, visible folding panels continue the film’s visual motif. Its most prominently featured in BB’s chest. Promotional photos incorrectly display the features. There’s a reason for that. The front hood actually has multiple joints and sliding panels to more accurate reflect the movie design. When transformed properly, the internal light pumping from hidden LEDs illuminate the headlights, exactly like the film. It’s a great feature. However, due to the chest assembly hanging low on the body, this configuration adds more heft to the figure. BB almost looks as if he’s sporting a beer belly. In the context of what this figure offers, I’m not entirely put off by this, but this is probably the reason the promotional pics display a more svelte BB. The sculpting on BB’s left arm is great. His right battle ready arm is somewhat of a let down as it tiny compared to the rest of the body; probably to accommodate the firing gimmick. Personally, I would’ve preferred BB to have two arms. In my opinion, it would look more visually pleasing. But again, putting this feature in the larger context, it’s not something to hold as a major detriment. From a visual standpoint, I’m most disappointed with BB’s lower legs. Unlike BB’s DLX counterparts, this figure does not sport the endearing automorph feature. The transformation is somewhat rudimentary. The trunk and rear window, simply detaches while the feet fold out. The feet themselves are disproportionate to the body, but they do cover enough surface area that the figure itself does not run into any balance issues. At the very least, these legs are functional. When it comes to the head, the only obtrusive element to it is its size. The scale is slightly large, in comparison to the body. But this maybe due to the lighting or perhaps a motion sensor is located inside. Regardless, the sculpt itself is impressive and really works well. The robot mode also features sculpted techno guts that can be seen on BB’s upper body, underneath some panels. It’s a nice touch that is highlighted by weathering.
In vehicle mode, this figure really shines. All the folding panels come together and form a great looking Oshawa assembled Camaro. The only detracting aspect in this mode is that there are no clear plastic for the windows. It’s not a huge deal to me, since the painted plastic hides the mechanical gimmicks. Once again the light piping really adds to the replay value in this form as head and tail lights function. The only drawback is that the light bleeds out from the back illuminating areas of plastic with a red glow. It doesn’t bother me though. The biggest concern I have in vehicle mode is that the panels all exert force on each other. After a couple minutes in vehicle mode, seam lines appear. I find myself continually pressing in those panels. The doors and front driver side fender are particularly stubborn for me. Rubber tires also highlight a great vehicle form.
In terms of articulation, Ultimate BB has plenty of it. However, due to the animatronics and excess kibble, a good portion of that articulation is rendered useless. BB’s lower legs already feature an absurd amount of plastic, but I found something odd concerning the knee joints. The right knee joint has a small block of plastic located behind it, and this further limits the poseabilty of that leg. I’m not sure if it holds a purpose, but that plastic does not exist on the left knee. What I found even more peculiar is that Ultimate BB has a cut joint for the waist. That joint is completely useless. The battery compartment is located right behind it. This hampers any sort of movement in that area. Arm articulation is handled by the animatronics. The plasma gun arm has no elbow joint, so all that arm could really do is move up and down and left to right. The left arm obviously has more joints, but I was let down because the wrist cannot rotate. The peg joint only allows the wrist to pivot up and down. I can only surmise that this was implemented to stabilize the transformation process. Articulation is probably the weakest aspect of this figure. The dynamic poses attainable with the DLX figure are simply not possible. BB’s lower legs can’t compensate for weight shifts. Normally, this would be cause for disconcertion, but this figure wasn’t entirely built for that purpose. This figure was made not only to be transformed, but to be interacted with as well. On that level I could almost overlook this limitation.
The transformation procedure is probably one of the most infuriating processes I have experienced. Not since Speedbreaker, from the Car Robot line have I had such difficulties. The problems I had though don’t lie with the convoluted nature of the transformation. My main gripe is that this figure is extremely pricey, and the plastic used to build it felt delicate. The panels lock together using tabs and for bigger components like the trunk, hook pegs are utilized. It’s not a real problem locking things into place, but detaching them is entirely different. The side panels, most notable the rear ones, are the most aggravating. For these panels, I found that if you apply pressure at the point of connection, it’s easier to finesse the removal than using excessive force. The detachable doors also provide something of a dilemma. Conversion from robot to vehicle requires, these doors be dangling for the majority of the sequence. They really just get in the way. These grievances aside, the transformation is highly fulfilling. It gets easier every time and the challenge to eliminate seam lines in car mode is more enjoyable than I expected.
The main selling points of Ultimate BB are its gimmicks. In lieu of decent articulation, the animatronic features provide an acceptable substitute. This feature is only enhanced by the various voice and song samples. Buttons on the chest and back activate the various phrases and songs. These features are also activated by sound and motion sensors. This level of interactivity is probably this figures biggest asset. It’s more fun than I’d imagine it would be despite the fact I was talking to a toy and waving around my hands like an imbecile. Although, the voice isn’t Mark Ryan’s, and the Devo sample plays much too often, I found it charming. BB goes on standby after approximately 5 minutes. This is a nice feature since BB requires 4 AA batteries. Another thing to note is that the sounds, songs and phrases are fairly loud. Unfortunately there is no volume control. A button on BB’s right side activates battle mode. Be certain the missile is pushed all the way in or it won’t fire. The spring is rather weak, and the majority of the time the missile won’t travel long distances or fire at all. Another interesting feature of the blaster gun is that the barrel pulls out slightly. I originally thought this locks the missile, but it makes no difference. I suppose it’s up to personal preferences. The barrel also is attached to a gear that rotates whenever the arm moves. This is probably to mimic BB’s movie weapon, however the movement is barely noticeable.
In vehicle mode, the lights and sound are retained. It doesn’t react to motion or sound though, but rolling the front tires producers appropriate automotive sounds. It’s a neat touch.
For a figure of this size and price, there are certainly many aspects to warrant not purchasing. The price is an immediate factor. The tethered doors make an otherwise satisfying transformation a clumsy experience. There is also the fear that the soft plastic may crack when detaching panels. I can’t really say this is the Ultimate BB because of these factors. But for all its faults, one fact is without question. This is probably the most ambitious Transformer yet. Its significance lies beyond goofy animatronic features, or cheesy phrases. This is a nice cap to put on any Transformer movie toy line collection. I’d say it’s a testament, that in the summer of 2007, I had a fun time watching giant robots come to life on the screen. Ultimate BB could be better, but owning it invokes fond memories.
Once again, my thanks to Faustx for giving a great deal on this figure.
ohnaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #2
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Re: Consumer analysis of Ultimate BB- Long Read

I got to look at one my friend picked up in the States a few weeks back. While it was cute I wasn't impressed overall. My friend loved it but voiced similar complaints to yours. My daughter has a robotic dog with the motion sensors and light activated stuff and I found it's quirky movements and audio more interesting than the Ulm. Bee's. But then I didn't get to spend a lot of quality time with the Bee. I think an Ultimate Prime would have made way more sense. It could spout off wisdom out of no where like
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" and "Transform and roll out.....oh not you Bumblebee. You must stay behind and guard the base. I don't trust you now that you talk like a Junkion....."
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Thanks for the review!

I'm likely passing when I do see him. The size is impressive, but (in my opinion) Bumblebee doesn't need to have a gigantic figure. Also, that price tag scares me off a little bit.

But who knows what the clearance section will bring.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Yeah I got him from the states a few weeks ago. Wasn't as unimpressed as I was expecting. The cannon arm kills me though, it looks horrible, is too short, and needs an elbow joint (oh and mine doesn't even fire the missile when you press the button and he raises to fire) Is this Ultimate or FAB?. The full arm is awesome and two real arms would have made so much better of a figure.

The transformation is actually pretty darn cool for a large TF. No 3-year old level transformation like cybertron starscream. The sounds in alt mode are decent and suitable but the sounds and lights features in bot mode are very disappointing. I can't even tell that it supposedly reacts to lights and sounds, and am tired of hearing whip it over and over again (the flapping of the wings is sort of cool though).

Overall I'd give it a 7/10. It is different, and refreshing ideas with TFs is always a good start. Unfortunately, too much got sacrificed (like the arm, clunkly mid body and proportions) in the name of electronic motion, lights, and sound that isn't really even really cool at all. The main bad thing about the figure though is the price, which leaves buyers wanting way way more than this figure provides.

Last edited by Paradigm-Shift Prime; 09-13-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
dak
Master Creator

Ultimate BB almost reminds me of BM Supreme Cheetor. Cool to have a huge character, but pointless to the line. it would be nice to have a character in the movie actually that size so there would be a reason to but an "Ultimate" character.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak View Post
Ultimate BB almost reminds me of BM Supreme Cheetor. Cool to have a huge character, but pointless to the line. it would be nice to have a character in the movie actually that size so there would be a reason to but an "Ultimate" character.
lol, that reminds me of when I saw the giant cybertron SS in stores for the first time and wondered 'how does that scale fit in with the series' and then later saw in the cartoon that SS does actually grow to that size.
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Pascal
Banned

I'm still hoping for an Ultimate Optimus Prime with tons of phrases by Cullen. I for one love my UBB, I give it a 8/10.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
ohnaji
Beasty

An Ultimate Prime does sound intriguing. However, I think Hasbro has really painted themselves in corner by stacking Ult. BB with so many gimmicks. An Ult. Prime would have to follow the same design rationale. We'd get a Prime that is designed around its features, rather than delivering a compelling transformation and a well articulated robot. Regardless of its shortcomings, I still enjoying Ult. BB. and all its gimmicks but I think Hasbro can come up with smarter choices for future constructions.
Instead of an Ultimate line, perhaps Hasbro can create a Masterpiece movie line. This line would concentrate on more movie accurate toys, with more functional poseability. I'd definitely buy a masterpiece movie prime and a masterpiece movie BB. In a year, when the movie lines popularity would be waning, doing something like that might continue interest in it. After all, a sequel might not appear for another two years.
ohnaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
mitchmurphy

^ an ultimate prime would be crazy!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Nightbeat

Was anyone else frightened by BB's voice the first time they heard it ? He's all over the place here in New Zealand and the first time I tried the voice I had to back away slowly.... Anyone have any idea who did it ?

As a side note, he still sounds 100 times better than whoever did the Optimus Prime communicator voice.
Nightbeat is offline   Reply With Quote