Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Soundwaveblaster
Decepticon Deep Cover Spy
Toy Swappers - Fight Back

Today I witnessed first hand the most insidious example of Transformers toy swapping I’ve ever seen. I collect 2 toylines, Marvel Legends and Transformers. Toy swapping is such a huge problem with ML everywhere, I see this so regularly that I stopped buying retail and order cases instead. The problem is nowhere near as bad for Transformers in my experience but I’ve come across a few examples over the years, but nothing to piss me off enough to compel me to write about it until today.

Today I found a Titans Return Galvatron with a swapped Mindwipe Titan Master instead of Megatron. I had to do a double take just to make sure I wasn’t wrong. The asswipe expertly double taped the box with matching tape and even put the clear rubber band around the Titan Master head. Perfect in every way, even the factory couldn’t do a better job. Normally I’d just shrug and forget about it, as I and others who have brought examples of this to the attention of the store often meet with staff who could give a shit, it was purely chance that this caught my eye and also that a manager was in the same aisle directing people to setup the nearby holiday display.

I mentioned this to him not expecting anything of it, but to my surprise he seemed genuinely shocked and even angry about it. I showed him the swapped box against 3 other misb Galvatron boxes to prove the point. I also noted the double tape on the swap whereas the other 3 were not. He called over another employee, who confirmed she restocked this item from returns earlier today which meant the item was probably returned in the past 2 days. I asked the manager what could be done about this and he said they could easily scan the barcode to see the date and time this UPC was last returned and call up surveillance.

I also mentioned this location was notorious for ML toy swapping too, and probably others as well (Star Wars, WWE etc.) so he asked me how to tell and what tips to lookout for. I said first identify products with highest likelihood of theft/swap (adult collectables eg. Marvel Legends) and to educate store employees (without knowledge of the product) what they should look out for when these items are returned:

#1 double tape (meaning item was opened)
#2 swapped/missing parts
#3 just look at the back of the box and compare

I said an honest customer wouldn’t mind the extra scrutiny if making returns, in fact I’d love to see it more often. A scammer would pick another store. I spent maybe 10 min talking to the manager, so at least someone at this Walmart cares. Wanted to snap a picure, but didn’t want to in front of the manager. The location was at the Gerrard Square Walmart in Toronto.

So to all my fellow Cybertronians, whom I’m sure have all seen this type of douchebaggery before, if you see something wrong let the store know, you just might speak with someone who can do something about it.

To the asshat who went to all the trouble to steal a tiny Megatron Titan Master and thought he got away with it unnoticed, congratulations. But remember, karma’s a bitch. Hope you didn’t use a credit card.

My Feedback Thread:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21607
Soundwaveblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
Prime Sinister
Animated
Re: Toy Swappers - Fight Back

Markville Wal-mart is catching on. There now is a live camera in the toy aisle by the Star Wars display.
Prime Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Over on AFN we have a thread that has been tracking this stuff for the past 6 years.

http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/board...t=4913&page=14

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #4
79transam
Machine War

I educated the returns dept here too. People were returning figs without BAF parts. It bugs me because most of the staff is clueless. But since I educated the returns desk, and talked with the toy dpt manager, I haven't seen it happen since. AND... she loves me now and will hold things for a day or so for me when I call in and ask her to.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

good job man...
those guys are assholes
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

This is a great story. I tried that at my TRU. This year I found a BW rhinox in an RID box. I brought it to the frint desk and told them that as they can tell from the back, this isnt the right toy, it was swapped and shouldnt be on the shelves. They took it and put it away. The following week, it was back on the shelves
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:00 PM   #7
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

When I was with Walmart I tried to educate everyone with it. All you can do is teach and hope they care enough to learn. I applaud to OP for trying the same.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:57 AM   #8
alternatorfan
g1 baby

You could be called a rat.
But who knows you.
Just like the guy/girl doing the return
Think they are getting away with it.
But are they.
Lol...just my 2 cents.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:05 AM   #9
predahank
Storing is hoarding

huh so you are saying op is no better than the scammer? wtf

If no one brings it to the stores attention, then these dickcunts will just keep doing it.

good job op
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #10
79transam
Machine War

If someone who's going to screw up legit collecting for me, call me a rat. I don't care. It's the community vs a couple douchbags. It's already tough enough to try and get decent stuff at retail and we got these few losers getting all their stuff for free. I hope every one of dem basturds get ultimately embarrassed at customer service trying to return a box with something in it other than what they bought
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote