Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Megatronimus
Beasty
How much is Leader class in Canada?

Ive avoided all movie toys since I saw the movie, but now I must have Leader Prime. Checking online Tous R Us Canada has him priced at $59.99. Why?

Is this accurate at store/Retail level? Is he really that much? I dont remember paying that much for Cybertron leader class toys.

Why is it soooo expensive when the canadian dollars is currently comparable to the US dollar?
Megatronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
y2jversion1
Machine War
Re: How much is Leader class in Canada?

Yeah, it is ridiculous that while the $CAD is like $0.06 short of the $USD, we're still getting gouged.

And yes, that's the "accurate" retail price in $CAD.
y2jversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
lars573
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatronimus View Post
Ive avoided all movie toys since I saw the movie, but now I must have Leader Prime. Checking online Tous R Us Canada has him priced at $59.99. Why?

Is this accurate at store/Retail level? Is he really that much? I dont remember paying that much for Cybertron leader class toys.

Why is it soooo expensive when the canadian dollars is currently comparable to the US dollar?
Retail prices don't shift with the dollar's value. MSRP's for Canada were "set" about 10 years ago. So that a shifting dollar wouldn't cause shifts in retail prices. But the ratio that's used to determine our MSRP is different for different products. For video games you slap an extra $10 on the games for our price and an extra $100 for the console. For toys it seems a 1:1.49 (CAN:USA) ratio is used. Your not the first I've heard complaining about the near highway robbery buying at retail is becoming. So a news report was done on it. Could be worse though. It could be like in Britian or Europe. Where they either double the price (Britain) or just replace the $ with a Euro sign and be done with it.

Also Cybertron leader toys were $69.99, well Metroplex was.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
Also Cybertron leader toys were $69.99, well Metroplex was.
They all were, I recently picked up the Cybertron Galaxy Force Optimus Prime for $49.99 which was marked down at TRU from $69.99.
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

$59.99 for OP on TRU.ca? thats $10 less then if you got it in store. I wanted to get the movie Megatron in Quebec but I'm not paying $70 ($80 after tax) for a figure I could get in the states for $40 (and they don't have 14% tax mind you).
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Yeah, I think regular price is $69.99 at TRU too............
On the exchange issue, we constantly get ripped off here. I remember during Star Wars Ep 3 when the figs were $7.99, the dollar had moved quite a bit by then and I was thinking that figure prices were coming down. Then boom!!!the post movie figures hit and were priced $8.99 at Walmart and $9.99 at TRU. So much for the better exchange rate affecting toy prices! They went up in price.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

the only thing that priced reasonably with the current exchange rate was TRU's Desert Attack 2 pack. $29.99 in Canada and $24.99US in the States.
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #8
Synch
Beasty

hell in the states they will go on clearance for $5 faster than we get stuff on the shelf here sometimes! Not only do they get better prices on stuff but they have crazy ass .50-$5 sales all the time and sometimes those sales + a b uy one get one free deal too :S

I read some guy build up a massive clone army because he stumbled across a sale of starwars figures for a buck or some such & it was a buy one or was it two... and get one free :S INSANE!
Synch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 AM   #9
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

yeah, they get crazy sales $7.50 TRU soundwave, $5 Alternators Mirage, $22 for 20th DVD prime for the July 4th day sale.
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

In 2000 I found SW figures on clearance at TRU in Fargo for $1 US each( about $1.50 Can). They were all figs we never even saw here. Bought about 30 of them, kept one of each of the several different characters for my own collection and traded or sold the rest for $10 a pop. Best deal I ever found.!!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote