Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #8311
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style
Re: BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbenvost View Post
Got it at a vintage store in Victoria called Vintage Funk. Pretty cool place, lots of old interesting stuff of all kinds. They were having a clothing sale for 50% off so I got it for $60. Judging by eBay auctions I'm seeing it was a pretty good deal. Similar US Ike jackets cost less but the Commonwealth ones seem to go for more. Different materials/construction I think. Rarity may also be a factor, I'm sure US stuff is much more common in the market.

Cool that your family has your Grandfather's diary and photos. I don't have much connection to any of the wars myself. My grandfather wanted to serve for the RCAF in WWII but being of German-speaking descent he was prohibited from doing so. Probably for the best, otherwise there's a chance I might not be here! But I'm really interested in everything historical, especially if it's local somehow and have always been fascinated with everything military since I was a kid.

Great you found it at a vintage store, while in victoria did you go into the war memrobilia store on goverment, neat store too.
Also did you get a chance go into the maratime musem in victoria too before it closed, that was great place history wise.

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #8312
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
Great you found it at a vintage store, while in victoria did you go into the war memrobilia store on goverment, neat store too.

Also did you get a chance go into the maratime musem in victoria too before it closed, that was great place history wise.
I've never been inside that war memorabilia store, it always seems to be closed, probably because we always go over Easter Weekend. Looks really cool from the outside though.

I did get a chance to go the Maritime Museum a few years ago, it was a really great place. Sad to hear it closed down. Too bad they can't move to another location or something. The full-size ship exhibit was especially cool.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #8313
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Quote:
I've never been inside that war memorabilia store, it always seems to be closed, probably because we always go over Easter Weekend. Looks really cool from the outside though.
Well keep trying

Quote:
I did get a chance to go the Maritime Museum a few years ago, it was a really great place. Sad to hear it closed down. Too bad they can't move to another location or something. The full-size ship exhibit was especially cool.
Good that you got in!. I know they wanted to re-open, but to rebuild all there exibits will take a large cost upstart. It was just like the wax museum, couldn't afford to reopen. Sad really, feels like I have been going over there forever, sad to see so many stores and places closed down, though a few new ones have opened up

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #8314
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
Well keep trying

Good that you got in!. I know they wanted to re-open, but to rebuild all there exibits will take a large cost upstart. It was just like the wax museum, couldn't afford to reopen. Sad really, feels like I have been going over there forever, sad to see so many stores and places closed down, though a few new ones have opened up
One of these days I'll get in, haha. Even if just to look around, it seems to be packed with cool stuff.

Yeah, so sad when places close down, especially when they've been around a long time. I never did manage to go to the Wax Museum. If landlords weren't so greedy places could afford to stay open. But I dunno, maybe it's not that, it's just the world we live in. Things inevitably change. I guess history woudn't be so interesting if it all stayed the same.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #8315
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I do a bit cosplay as Zeon/Neo Zeon military force from Gundam, but I won't wear some of their pins/badges. I could be labelled as a Nazi.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #8316
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Yeah those do look a bit too similar, especially with the uniform.

I was just reading that it's basically illegal to wear someone else's war medals in Canada, even if they're a deceased relative's. The law originates from the 1920s to prevent impostors from receiving Veterans' benefits. Too bad, I guess I will have to cover them up if I want to wear the jacket in public, since I certainly don't want to remove them.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #8317
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Figured out the last ribbon, the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, awarded to those who volunteered and served at least 18 months during or shortly after WWII. Also determined that the small flower (rosette) on the Canadian Forces Decoration denotes a further 10 years of service, so this person was serving for over 22 years total. Pretty amazing. Just one more piece of the puzzle to solve, the small insignia patch on the lower left sleeve.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #8318
thebobkat
Canadian Slag

http://tformers.com/unite-warriors-u...6293/news.html

I kinda like the darker colours on Motormaster on the TakaraTomy version...

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #8319
Chap69Poo
Generation 2

you are right that IS nice...
but i prolly wont import from japan if i can find him here
Old 04-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #8320
Bountyan
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobkat View Post
http://tformers.com/unite-warriors-u...6293/news.html

I kinda like the darker colours on Motormaster on the TakaraTomy version...
I ordered mine from HLJ already.

I'm going to go hunt down a Hasbro Drag Strip now though, i like it more than Takara's. I got the set mostly for Motormaster not having those ugly grey colors on the cab like the Hasbro one does.