Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt
Re: CW Computron

I found that if I tilted the torso one click backward at the hip joints, it kinda sorta offset the forward lean a little bit. It's not a perfect solution though, because you can just as easily get a net result of your combiner thrusting his groin out at you. YMMV.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #12
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
There's not much to see. It's clear nail polish on a ratchet, which looks pretty much like a ratchet without the nail polish.
I see. Wonder if putting Future Floor Polish on Computron's hip ratchets (which would be Scattershot's shoulder ratchets) would work as well, since I don't have nail polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
I found that if I tilted the torso one click backward at the hip joints, it kinda sorta offset the forward lean a little bit. It's not a perfect solution though, because you can just as easily get a net result of your combiner thrusting his groin out at you. YMMV.
I can't do that, since Computron will fall over backwards if I tried.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #13
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

I just find that you need to pose the arms in a way that counterbalances him right. Usually for me bent at the elbows and good.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #14
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
I see. Wonder if putting Future Floor Polish on Computron's hip ratchets (which would be Scattershot's shoulder ratchets) would work as well, since I don't have nail polish.
Should work. Just be prepared to use lots of coats. It was a bit of a pain getting in there, put a coat, then wait for it to dry, then do it again. I think I put on like 5-10 coats.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #15
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Should work. Just be prepared to use lots of coats. It was a bit of a pain getting in there, put a coat, then wait for it to dry, then do it again. I think I put on like 5-10 coats.
Well, I managed to fix my Computron's "drunkenness", but yeah, it took quite a few coats of Future to do it. After applying the Future, I had to rotate the ratchets for a few rounds in both directions to make sure the floor polish is spread nicely across the teeth of the ratchets.

On a related sidenote, it seems that one issue with having Lightspeed and Nosecone as legs is that they tend to come undone when you try to use the ankle tilts (as shown in these reviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITvFlVVwZzY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbUCOIoW7ME), and so you typically have to physically hold them together when adjusting the tilt of the feet. This can be fixed by applying some Future on the problematic tabs, then plugging them in the holes and leaving it to dry. The Future should make the tabs wider and add some friction so the figures don't simply come apart from posing them as combiner legs.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

That is indeed one possible fix. In part 2 of my review of Computron where I show the custom paint I added and the face sculpted from the face plate I also touch on what I did to address the issue. It was a little more invasive though. Take the foot apart. The bright red section that the peg goes through unscrews. Then the peg with the ratchet teeth just pops out. Sand down the slot the teeth fit into, and the teeth on the peg itself. A little piece of sandpaper will do the trick. Then put the feet back together and secure with the red piece. Screw that back in hand tight but don't over tighten. You should now have a soft ratchet that still slightly clicks, so is secure, but moves very smoothly so the legs don't come apart. Now if I want to change his stance, I can just slide his feet and they move seemlessly. Admittedly, it is a bit of work, but makes those dedicated feet soooo much better. As for the tilting, yep, the floorwax fix helps. Like others though, mine tilts, all my combiners tilt though, Defensor is probably the worst for it. Meh, I always just adjust the arms to counter balance. Anyway, hope the ankle surgery helps someone improve those tilts,lol.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
That is indeed one possible fix. In part 2 of my review of Computron where I show the custom paint I added and the face sculpted from the face plate I also touch on what I did to address the issue. It was a little more invasive though. Take the foot apart. The bright red section that the peg goes through unscrews. Then the peg with the ratchet teeth just pops out. Sand down the slot the teeth fit into, and the teeth on the peg itself. A little piece of sandpaper will do the trick. Then put the feet back together and secure with the red piece. Screw that back in hand tight but don't over tighten. You should now have a soft ratchet that still slightly clicks, so is secure, but moves very smoothly so the legs don't come apart. Now if I want to change his stance, I can just slide his feet and they move seemlessly. Admittedly, it is a bit of work, but makes those dedicated feet soooo much better. As for the tilting, yep, the floorwax fix helps. Like others though, mine tilts, all my combiners tilt though, Defensor is probably the worst for it. Meh, I always just adjust the arms to counter balance. Anyway, hope the ankle surgery helps someone improve those tilts,lol.
Where in your review did you mention that fix? I'm assuming it's this review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2wqHx4EVw)? I wasn't able to find the part in that video, or maybe I somehow missed it. Admittedly, I'm not bold enough to make a fix let that to a figure like Computron if a less invasive method exists (like the Future fix I mentioned), since Computron is sold as a boxset and any mistakes or screwups would probably entail buying another boxset or paying scalper's prices to replace the damaged part(s). That's the headache with boxsets, that is, not being able to easily replace singular figures or parts if something's wrong. Anyway, I saw what you did to try to simulate Scattershot's G1 cannon mode, by putting the hands and feet under his vehicle mode. Not bad, this is the fanmode I use (https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1489/2...4fe665d2_b.jpg).
Old 11-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Yeah the Brawl mold... the legs really don't tab together in any meaningful way, they sure come apart regularly. The Dead End mold has always had similar problems, which make it a better foot than arm but still sometimes annoying.

Albeit I think the OffRoad mold is the worst for the legs coming apart when trying to use him as an arm.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #19
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Yeah the Brawl mold... the legs really don't tab together in any meaningful way, they sure come apart regularly. The Dead End mold has always had similar problems, which make it a better foot than arm but still sometimes annoying.

Albeit I think the OffRoad mold is the worst for the legs coming apart when trying to use him as an arm.
Yeah, that's why I suggested using Future on the tabs in order to add friction so the thing stays tabbed better. Haven't really seen many people mention such a fix, if at all, but hey, that's another good use for Future, adding to all the odds-and-ends purposes people in this fandom use it for.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #20
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
Where in your review did you mention that fix? I'm assuming it's this review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2wqHx4EVw)? I wasn't able to find the part in that video, or maybe I somehow missed it. Admittedly, I'm not bold enough to make a fix let that to a figure like Computron if a less invasive method exists (like the Future fix I mentioned), since Computron is sold as a boxset and any mistakes or screwups would probably entail buying another boxset or paying scalper's prices to replace the damaged part(s). That's the headache with boxsets, that is, not being able to easily replace singular figures or parts if something's wrong. Anyway, I saw what you did to try to simulate Scattershot's G1 cannon mode, by putting the hands and feet under his vehicle mode. Not bad, this is the fanmode I use (https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1489/2...4fe665d2_b.jpg).
I did Computron in two parts, the set and then the custom, but I think I owe you a big apology. I believe I actually discussed this when I looked at the g1 technobots. If I led you to the wrong video I'm really sorry about that. I think I did the fix after the initial custom video. I use the floor polish fix a lot. Infact I show the label currently being used on the bottle for those not sure what it is. The Canadian label is different than the US. I think I showed that in episode 72, if I am not mistaken, same one where I show how to make Prime's aoe faceplate. I digress, I see your concern but trust me, I am no professional customizer at all. I firmly believe anything I can do, anyone can safely do. Hell, I'm a clutz,lol. I love the polish fix but the other one is more definitive. Actually, the claims of Brawl being loose spurred me to try it. I'll talk about that below in a minute. For the record, I love your Scattershot fanmode, it is DEFINITELY better than mine. Mine was an attempt to incorporate the feet somehow. As for the mod, I would never encourage anyone to try anything that could break a figure. It was just another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post

This was really interesting to see you say. I have never had an issue with Brawl tabbing together quite well. At least, he worked well on Bruticus. As Nosecone, he came apart with the new foot piece. I guess it never with Bruticus because he had the lightweight hand/foot piece. That was what led me to the foot mod. Now he never comes apart. Totally agree about Dead End, Wildrider, Lightspeed. Hell, my Dead End tailpipe doesn't even stay on. My shock comes with the Offroad mold observation you made. I think he is the hands down best leg and a great arm, but, to be fair, the arm issue you mention with that mold DID happen with Ironhide. Might be a case of mileage may vary?

Last edited by GotBot; 11-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote