Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
3rdStryk3
Generation 1
Beware of FAKE IMAX theatres when seeing ROTF

For those going to see ROTF in IMAX, be wary of the IMAX screens that are not the real giant screens and use the 70mm prints. The IMAX company has been retrofitting smaller theatres with their lower end digital equipment and still calling it IMAX and charging the full IMAX price. From what've read the real IMAX screens should be 76x97 feet, but the new ones are only 28x58 feet. I saw The Dark Knight in one of these smaller theatres in Ottawa claiming to be IMAX but it was clearly not the same thing. I've been to the ones in Toronto (Colossus and Scotiabank/Paramount) and you could see the difference. Anyway, I thought I'd warn some people before they pay the premium.
3rdStryk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
BeeBoy29
Alternator
Re: Beware of FAKE IMAX theatres when seeing ROTF

thanx 3rdStryke and welcome too the boards!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Sting Rose
Robot Heroes Addict

Thanks very much for that! I'm actually in the middle of planning my movie day and checking out the theatres. Glad that it seems that I've made the right pick. ;D
Sting Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
tilallr1
Robot in Disguise

Has anyone else noticed that Colossus IMAX (410 & HW7) has a smaller screen then Coliseum IMAX (SQ1). I wonder why.

I have been going to the SQ1 IMAX for years, then when we were trying to get Dark Knight tickets, the only theater that had any available was the Colossus one. So we went there. Bit of a disappointment. But still 10 times better than regular screens.

Last edited by tilallr1; 06-09-2009 at 03:23 PM.
tilallr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Colossus IMAX (410 & HW7) has a smaller screen then Coliseum IMAX (SQ1). I wonder why.

I have been going to the SQ1 IMAX for years, then when we were trying to get Dark Knight tickets, the only theater that had any available was the Colossus one. So we went there. Bit of a disappointment. But still 10 times better than regular screens.
The answer is that back in 1999 IMAX and (the now defunct theatre chain) Famous Players entered into an agreement where FP would open 10 IMAX theatres connected to multiplexes, the agreement primarily covered the smaller IMAX SR projectors and auditoriums with the QTRU 5 deck reel unit that was built with small spaces in mind.

So although Colossus' screen is technically smaller than Coliseum (5 stories wide x 2.5 stories high versus 7 x 5 stories) rest assured Colossus is still IMAX...

As for "fake" IMAX theatres, if the theatre claims to be running an IMAX DMR print as opposed to IMAX digital then ask the usher/Ops Manager what format they have. The correct answer should be "15/70 MM".

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
tilallr1
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
The answer is that back in 1999 IMAX and (the now defunct theatre chain) Famous Players entered into an agreement where FP would open 10 IMAX theatres connected to multiplexes, the agreement primarily covered the smaller IMAX SR projectors and auditoriums with the QTRU 5 deck reel unit that was built with small spaces in mind.

So although Colossus' screen is technically smaller than Coliseum (5 stories wide x 2.5 stories high versus 7 x 5 stories) rest assured Colossus is still IMAX...

As for "fake" IMAX theatres, if the theatre claims to be running an IMAX DMR print as opposed to IMAX digital then ask the usher/Ops Manager what format they have. The correct answer should be "15/70 MM".
WOW. Thanks for the info. I knew I wasn't just imagining it. Probably also explains why Coliseum IMAX is usually sold out.

Last edited by tilallr1; 06-15-2009 at 12:13 PM.
tilallr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Double_Flush

Just got my IMAX tickets today (Scotia Bank)
I've been to 3 Imax movies, all at the above mentioned theater and every time they have done this "WElcome to the Imax experience" intro show. I don't know if other Imax's do this but that's a pretty clear way to tell if it's real Imax or not. They make the screen translucent and you can see all the speakers, they do some craxy lazer stuff etc.

I think ticket prices went up as well I don't remember paying $17.50 for my other tickerts before.

http://tf2cards.ca/track/refer/ovpeyzb3sg - My Transformers ROTF Digital Collector Cards
Double_Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
3rdStryk3
Generation 1

As far as telling if you're getting the real deal IMAX or not, in my opinion, if you've been to a theatre before and they didn't have IMAX, but now claim to have it. It is most likely a retrofitted theatre (I think this was the case at the Ottawa Gloucester Silvercity). As mentioned earlier the screens are huge so it is next to impossible to retroactively install such a screen after a theatre has been built. From what I've read is that they do enlarge the screen a bit by removing some of the first few rows and bring the screen forward, but this is in no way as large as you'd expect from a real IMAX theatre. In order to accomplish that the theatre would have to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. If I'm correct, theatres such Scotiabank, Colossus and Square One Coliseum included IMAX theatres in their initial planning and construction, hence they alotted the necessary real estate to accomodate the huge screens and are the real deal.
3rdStryk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Double_Flush

Yeah I mean the sheer size of the screen is a dead giveaway. A theater retrofitting or updating their old screens would have to have had months of construction done to make it a legit Imax screen. The first time I saw the real screen it was insane. They're ginormous. But I guess if you've never been to a real one and all the sudden your local theater says they have Imax, I can see how people would be tricked.

http://tf2cards.ca/track/refer/ovpeyzb3sg Transformers ROTF Digital Collector Cards
Double_Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Mumps
Canadian Slag

So... where does Calgary's IMAX fit in all of this? I haven't been to that theater since The Dark Knight.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote