Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-25-2015, 01:42 AM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
The Rules of Collecting MPs (opinion piece)

There are some ground rules if you're going to be 'serious' about collecting MPs (toys r serious business, the internet sez so):

1. Budget accordingly. Don't collect a line you can't afford (and with MPs, you're starting at the top). Don't use false 'prices' to plan your budget: use MSRP and the average (sometimes even slightly higher) price to plan your purchases. You just may come in below budget at the end of the year. MPs are expensive, m'kay?

2. Take advantage of pre-orders, domestic or overseas, to get the best prices for MP products. This is the only 'sale' equivalent you'll get for MPs from Takara, but some locals sellers will discount stock from time to time (rarely).

3. If you want to save cash, buy from overseas. Realize there may be a trade-off in customer service, and you may get hit with border fees (fees which are worse with USA-based dealers) Buy locally if you want the best customer service. This will cost you more. See Rule 1.

5. Pre-plan your purchases annually, if you can. Being spontaneous can be fun, but ultimately a waste if it doesn't a) stay in your collection for the long term or b) can't be sold for retail value at a later date. Since MP announcements can be quick (last 3 come to mind), come up with a number you think works for you. Between repaints, reissues and new product, you can get over budget pretty quick. Really think about your collection and what you want in it. For many of us, this is the hardest rule.

6. You will probably not see MPs 'in the wild' unless you live in a large city. Pre-order or purchase with the big stores online to avoid the dreaded 'out of stock' blues. You will only get so many chances before it's gone for good online.

7. You must balance your wants versus your budget, but don't choose thriftiness over your collection goals: do you want to save $20 on MP Starscream, or do you want MP Starscream? This is NOT the same as blowing your budget: this is about you trying to get a deal at the risk of missing a product entirely. You can't always win on timing sales, so don't get unreasonably upset when you didn't get a deal that dozens of (essentially imaginary) people brag about on a forum. Trust me on this one: you won't remember the savings six months afterwards. See Rule 1.

8. If you can only afford to buy MPs when (if) they go on sale, then you probably shouldn't be collecting MPs. This shouldn't be a problem if you stick to Hasbro MPs only, but remember Soundwave and Prime had their issues (Starscream in the States was also a PITA online). If you ONLY collect Hasbro MPs, then your only problem should be locating product, not the price.

9. Don't blame scalpers. We all hate them, yet our internet karma seems to bounce off their slimy, repugnant, basement-dwelling, parasitic skin. This hate is useless and largely inconsequential if you plan ahead. Any member of this (or other) forum has a big leg up on any scalper: information, networking and desire. We want it more than any f#%king scalper. Use that to your advantage.

10. Enjoy yourself. If you find yourself not doing that, start over at Rule 1 and see where you f#$ked up.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous
Re: The Rules of Collecting MPs (opinion piece)

Well said. Love #10!
Retrospex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #3
CAF
Banned

The absolute best part of it for me is scouring the internet for the best deal possible, and believe it or not, letting some get away.

Eventually I will have my goal of all the G1 season 1&2. And when that day comes- and it will.... Then I will get more detolfs and begin on the movie and seasons 3&4 in a separate display

The thrill of the chase. Almost unattainable yet doable if I get it right. Slow and steady wins the race
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

For me I just want to experience each mold, not every repaint. So I choose a character/colour I want to have a mold in, it doesn't always work, here's looking at you Grimmy.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:39 AM   #5
xbrawn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 12th Prime View Post
For me I just want to experience each mold, not every repaint. So I choose a character/colour I want to have a mold in, it doesn't always work, here's looking at you Grimmy.
Such a horrible re release...
xbrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:49 AM   #6
CAF
Banned

Man I absolutely love Grimlock. I got the TRU version last winter and it's still one of my favorites. He had loose hips right out of the box but ah whatever. He's still such a stupid brute. There's a guy on instagram with a page called "Cooking with Grimlock" so funny
Old 10-25-2015, 03:00 AM   #7
DuG
Titanium

if you are collecting TRU MPs and you unfortunately happen to live in an area that may not get in an item another great tool at your disposal is to see if TRU will do a store to store transfer for you. You can have the item shipped free to your store with a wait time of up to 10 weeks or you can pay to have it shipped quicker. I have recently done this for MP Starsream.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:03 AM   #8
xbrawn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
Man I absolutely love Grimlock. I got the TRU version last winter and it's still one of my favorites. He had loose hips right out of the box but ah whatever. He's still such a stupid brute. There's a guy on instagram with a page called "Cooking with Grimlock" so funny
has anyone made a third party fix for that yet?
xbrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:52 AM   #9
CAF
Banned

Crazy glue
Old 10-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
Oreobuilder
Cybertron

Great list. I agree 100% especially keeping your collection focused. Since I have discovered this rule, I get much more enjoyement out of my collection.

Also, the bit about planning can be tough when collecting Takara MPs as they tend to be announce in 3-6 month cycles whereas I prefer planning my budget for about a year.

No rule #4?

OB
Oreobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote