Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
CBII
Animated
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: I am going to be a father!

Congrats....I have a daughter that's just about 2 and she's a transformers fan....but yeah don't let them touch the expensive stuff.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Congrats! There is nothing better in the world.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

welcome to fatherhood!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Pascal
Banned

Félicitations!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
STI 2NV
Energon

Congrats.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

As a father of two here are my words/anecdotes of wisdom:

OVERLOAD ON THE SLEEP NOW
Sleep deprivation is a type of torture and they say after a couple days of no sleep you start developing signs of schizophrenia. Well, get ready for the CRAZY. They kinda sleep a lot at first, then they want to feed every couple hours or so, then comes teething, then potty training (a.k.a., bed wetting), then nightmares and so on and so forth. All in all you'll probably reduce your total sleep time to about 4 to 5 hours per night unless you're the kind to go to bed at 7pm.

DO STUFF NOW
Go see a movie with your wife/girlfriend, go out for dinner, go see a hockey game, play video games all night long (I played Grand Theft Auto 2 for 5 hours straight the night before my son was born and haven't done that since...that was 4 years ago), read a book, go for a jog, go travelling...then say goodbye to all that when your significant other goes into labour. These days as I'm wiping my 1 year old daughter's ass at 3am I say to myself "That's OK, at least I got to swim the blue waters off the coast of St. Lucia and explore the catacombs of Rome."

SAY 'HELLO' TO YOUR LITTLE ONE(S), SAY 'GOODBYE' TO YOUR FRIENDS
Unless your friends have kids too you're about to inadvertantly alienate yourselves from them. Don't worry, what this means is the little time you do get to spend with your friends in the future will have more meaning. Besides...true friends will offer to bring you over dinner or help out. TAKE THEM UP ON THEIR OFFER.

SMELL THE FLOWERS AND DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF
While camping in Tofino last year I noticed my son was amazed by the ocean, trees and crackling campfire. I then realized this is the first time he's ever seen such a thing in his life and that made the simple things seem more magical. As your little one gets older you'll learn to see things through their eyes as if you're seeing it forthe first time too. You'l also learn that they see things how you see them too, so agression, frustration...all that stuff rubs off. Learn to let things slide and keep the "Hey a**hole, get off the f***ing road, you dipsh*t!!!" down to a minimum.

HATERS GONNA HATE, CRITCS GONNA CRITCIZE
My parents are very old school (i.e., gays are evil, everyone should grow up to be a doctor or a lawyer, etc.) and they just love to tell us how to raise our children. While they do have some valid tips for the most part they aren't in line with how we want to raise our kids. That kind of static will come from all different kinds of sources: your in-laws, your siblings, cousins, friends, etc. You and your wife/gf have to be united on how you want to raise your kids. Take everyone's tips and treat them for what they are...tips. You should develop your own boundaries for your kids and teach them to be the person you want them to be. Don't make parenting a "keeping up the with Joneses" kind of scenario...

DON'T FORGET EACH OTHER
I'll be blunt. Your wife/gf is going to get BIG. Aside from the (average 7 to 10 pound at full term) baby, she'll develop 10% more blood, 15 liters of amneotic fluid and whatever else she packs away after the many obligatory nightime sundae runs to Dairy Queen. Not to mention the boundless hormones that will make her weep at the sight of Bumblebee getting captured by Sector 7 agents (true story). Then you may watch the birth which will change your view of your significant other's vadge forever. Then comes breast-feeding which takes the "fun" out of her "fun bags".

Through all this you've got to remember to make her feel loved. You may even want to make her feel like that hot sexy chick you hooked up with long ago. It'll be hard...trust me, but its neccessary since you knocked her up and made her carry that damn thing around for 9 months in the first place!!! Oops, sorry. Channeling my wife there...

There you go...take my advice how you want to. And good luck, daddy!!!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
CBII
Animated

I second everything jjwankenobi just said. Been there and done all that....and probably more.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post

DON'T FORGET EACH OTHER
I'll be blunt. Your wife/gf is going to get BIG. Aside from the (average 7 to 10 pound at full term) baby, she'll develop 10% more blood, 15 liters of amneotic fluid and whatever else she packs away after the many obligatory nightime sundae runs to Dairy Queen. Not to mention the boundless hormones that will make her weep at the sight of Bumblebee getting captured by Sector 7 agents (true story).
^

this is the most important thing i find during preganancy. plus, massages. i massaged my wife from head to toe. this takes most of the stress away. this was done every night.

Quote:

Then you may watch the birth which will change your view of your significant other's vadge forever. Then comes breast-feeding which takes the
"fun" out of her "fun bags".

Through all this you've got to remember to make her feel loved. You may even want to make her feel like that hot sexy chick you hooked up with long ago. It'll be hard...trust me, but its neccessary since you knocked her up and made her carry that damn thing around for 9 months in the first place!!! Oops, sorry. Channeling my wife there...

just before posting, i just finished changing and feeding my 18 month old daughter. we played for about an hour. tired her out and now she's sleeping.

Last edited by Buhawi; 05-05-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

congrats

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
As a father of two here are my words/anecdotes of wisdom:

OVERLOAD ON THE SLEEP NOW
Sleep deprivation is a type of torture and they say after a couple days of no sleep you start developing signs of schizophrenia. Well, get ready for the CRAZY. They kinda sleep a lot at first, then they want to feed every couple hours or so, then comes teething, then potty training (a.k.a., bed wetting), then nightmares and so on and so forth. All in all you'll probably reduce your total sleep time to about 4 to 5 hours per night unless you're the kind to go to bed at 7pm.

DO STUFF NOW
Go see a movie with your wife/girlfriend, go out for dinner, go see a hockey game, play video games all night long (I played Grand Theft Auto 2 for 5 hours straight the night before my son was born and haven't done that since...that was 4 years ago), read a book, go for a jog, go travelling...then say goodbye to all that when your significant other goes into labour. These days as I'm wiping my 1 year old daughter's ass at 3am I say to myself "That's OK, at least I got to swim the blue waters off the coast of St. Lucia and explore the catacombs of Rome."

SAY 'HELLO' TO YOUR LITTLE ONE(S), SAY 'GOODBYE' TO YOUR FRIENDS
Unless your friends have kids too you're about to inadvertantly alienate yourselves from them. Don't worry, what this means is the little time you do get to spend with your friends in the future will have more meaning. Besides...true friends will offer to bring you over dinner or help out. TAKE THEM UP ON THEIR OFFER.

SMELL THE FLOWERS AND DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF
While camping in Tofino last year I noticed my son was amazed by the ocean, trees and crackling campfire. I then realized this is the first time he's ever seen such a thing in his life and that made the simple things seem more magical. As your little one gets older you'll learn to see things through their eyes as if you're seeing it forthe first time too. You'l also learn that they see things how you see them too, so agression, frustration...all that stuff rubs off. Learn to let things slide and keep the "Hey a**hole, get off the f***ing road, you dipsh*t!!!" down to a minimum.

HATERS GONNA HATE, CRITCS GONNA CRITCIZE
My parents are very old school (i.e., gays are evil, everyone should grow up to be a doctor or a lawyer, etc.) and they just love to tell us how to raise our children. While they do have some valid tips for the most part they aren't in line with how we want to raise our kids. That kind of static will come from all different kinds of sources: your in-laws, your siblings, cousins, friends, etc. You and your wife/gf have to be united on how you want to raise your kids. Take everyone's tips and treat them for what they are...tips. You should develop your own boundaries for your kids and teach them to be the person you want them to be. Don't make parenting a "keeping up the with Joneses" kind of scenario...

DON'T FORGET EACH OTHER
I'll be blunt. Your wife/gf is going to get BIG. Aside from the (average 7 to 10 pound at full term) baby, she'll develop 10% more blood, 15 liters of amneotic fluid and whatever else she packs away after the many obligatory nightime sundae runs to Dairy Queen. Not to mention the boundless hormones that will make her weep at the sight of Bumblebee getting captured by Sector 7 agents (true story). Then you may watch the birth which will change your view of your significant other's vadge forever. Then comes breast-feeding which takes the "fun" out of her "fun bags".

The term "THIS" has never been more appropriate. I bolded the most important part because if you spoil her a little...you'd be surprised how little waking up you'll have to do at night. There's my tip!

But all in all, for what you lose in social/me time, you make up in the joy of each and every one of your child's milestones and accomplishments.

And oh ya, will you ever get advice on how to raise the little one. I have WORN OUT "Oh ya, good to know".

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote