Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #41
Chigimus
Masterpiece
Re: A little disappointed with TFCon dealer room this year

I wasn't able to attend this year either, but for the people that criticize there's too much 3rd party product being offered, maybe take a step back and reflect what's out in the market that's current as well as what's coming up on the horizon for HasTak. Then compare how expansive 3rd party offerings have become over the past 2 or 3 years in both the depth of each 3rd party company's product line as well as the staggering # of 3rd party companies that are growing and/or just starting to hit the scene. I mean, come on, the 3rd party panel this year was over 400 slides. You won't even get close to that # from an official Hasbro/Takara slideshow.

I personally would be grateful to see all that 3rd party product in one collective place to browse through as most other vendors/places you could shop through will have slim pickings for 3rd party product unless your one of the few people that live near Slayback or A3U. For the rest of us, there's little to zero localized opportunities so we're relegated to eating exorbitant shipping costs more often than not.

Like Slayback said, the demand for 3rd party exists. It's the market that caters to most, but not all, adult collectors. 1st party loyalists are still welcomed of course, but in comparison when the 1st party offers less new product selections than what 3rd parties are cranking out, then why shouldn't the overall inventory among dealers reflect the same ratio? What else could you have expected other than the result we've seen?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #42
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

This was my (lost count) TF con and countless toy show at the Delthilton there and it seemed just as good as always for me. My only complaint was against myself, that I jumped at a figure due to the old "we only have a couple left they're going so fast"... Only to find it for WAY less not 10 minutes later (we're talking $160 vs $100). I couldn't help but feel a little gouged by that first table (a big dealer), but it was my fault and my fault alone that I did the rookie panic buy.

Other than that I got some great deals. As always, the best prices are usually our own Eric/Slayback and the dealers out in the hall, aka Bargain Row.

The guy (Artfire?) selling all those Japanese figures was also amazing. I thought the prices were surprisingly good too: Overlords in the $250-$350 range, etc. It feels to me like G1 prices have come down a fair chunk since MP/3P became the new hotness. And I don't know if it's market or a business decision, but it was odd to see a massive G1 (only) dealer like Russ down to one table. That guy used to hold the entire middle of the floor years past!

Some dealers are definitely regulars, often in the same spot. Some are awesome; that big table as you walk in always has the latest hard-to-get retail figures from the US at really good prices. Our own Eric/Slayback, Dan/Bruticus, etc are always great.

I was stunned at TFsource's $100 Quakewaves and $65 Exhausts. I didn't need either one, so didn't buy, but deals like that are so great to see. And I remember the $400 Quakewaves from what, 2? 3 years ago? Dang...

There are some tables I see every show and I don't know how they make it work: higher prices than the surrounding tables, items I feel like aren't in high demand, and generally the same items all the time. But they must appeal to enough other people to make it profitable, so who am I to say I know better?

Anyway, the real chronic problem I've always had with these shows was present this year, which is "Oh god why don't I have unlimited money".
Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #43
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
The guy (Artfire?) selling all those Japanese figures was also amazing. I thought the prices were surprisingly good too: Overlords in the $250-$350 range, etc. It feels to me like G1 prices have come down a fair chunk since MP/3P became the new hotness.
Artfire being present was truly a gift. J-G1 stuff is hard to come by and we had a whole table of it.

Everything from Minerva to Road Ceasar and MIB Grandus was present. Even odd ball South American stuff.

Amazing.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Old 07-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #44
pside9
Beasty

I couldn't make it this year, but I really wouldn't have cared about there being less official products at the tables. I can usually find the Hasbro items at retail even in the smaller towns of Niagara.

I really have appreciated the large selection of 3P and MP figures at the last few cons. I don't buy much because of my limited funds but its wonderful to see items up close. And the dealers prices on those (for the most part) are competitive if you look at the "con tax" as a convenience premium.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:19 AM   #45
bumblebee85
Generation 1

I have been to every tfcon ever!! And I normally buy a vintage toy every year...I was unable to do that this year. Couldn't find any vintage dinobots other then the ones I already had. I really was hoping to get one step closer to finishing these off, that was my only goal going in.

Not to mention the Welker panel was only 30mins long. I recorded most of the panels and posted them on YouTube under my name. I wish I got all of the Flint Dille panel cause he had the most info on the past. I had to leave before he started the movie commentary cause he likes to talk and it would have been great!!

But what makes it great still are the people, it's still intimate, and you can mingle and bump into guests and hang out...I hardly seen Colin(owner of tfcon) this year, only once!! But there were a lot more parts parties this year, that's where I had the most fun.

I love tfcon...and I'll see you all next year!!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #46
Stormrave
Machine War

Still thinking about my analysis.

Obviously, I cannot and do not fault dealers for selling what sells--they are trying to make a living or at least make a few bucks selling their collections/handicrafts/whatever, and transportation has costs. It only makes sense that they would stock things in high demand. It's utterly unreasonable to expect people to lose money bringing stuff that doesn't have wide appeal.

And as third party becomes increasingly popular (and isn't allowed at some other shows) I don't blame 3P companies for getting booths to advertise and sell their product. I was drooling over that MMC Kultur and that makes me not innocent in this regard, though I can see how the new trend would be less interesting to those who aren't 3rd party collectors.

I did notice that...Usually me and Phalanx hoard some money for Sunday when the reset happens, so he can go hunting GI Joes and Gundams and I can go hunting ponies and dolls. This year the Sunday seemed very similar to the Saturday; not as much different stuff on the second day. I think it was the first year in a while he didn't bring home Gundams and I didn't bring home ponies (the only pony I got was a gift). Again, maybe the general 80s stuff isn't selling as well and we're a minority in looking for it? Maybe there are more third party dealers and fewer general toy dealers wanting to get tables, or making a good profit off tables and deciding to come back? Maybe I've just been at this con so long that I already have the ponies most of the dealers are selling?

Maybe part of it is that after over a decade of cons, I'm getting used to the usual suspects--the vendors I see year after year, the items that are regularly for sale that were super awesome ten years ago and now I'm all "have that, have those, have them..." This in no way makes that stuff any less awesome for people who don't have it, or who're at their first con and haven't seen this stuff before.

Gods, maybe this is my cranky old geezer rant, where I'm feeling nostalgic for when the dealer's room was a vast uncharted wilderness of toy magic to explore.

And I still can't feel too hard done by, not when I spent all my money, got a great deal on something, got an import I'd been looking forward to finding, got pleasantly surprised when something I thought long gone was suddenly on sale again for a very reasonable price, and had a nice drool over Artfire's table (too broke to buy anything off of it by then, but wow, those were some pretty toys.)

Nor can I complain when I keep giving certain tables my money year after year....got some great bookmarks from Wayward and two different plushies from two different creators, plus always happy to see Retro Joad and the folks with all the G1 parts. So it's not as though there was nothing there I wanted (again, see the small handful of change that's all I've got left in my wallet).

TL: DR

The more you buy off your want list, the less you have left to find and buy, and the harder it may be to find it;

+

The more cons you go to, the more the vendors and goods will start to look familiar;

+

Trends come and go--right now the trend is 3rd party, which is awesome for 3P collectors and maybe less awesome for those not interested, but the same can be said for Alternators and Henkai and basically every other trend this fandom's ever had;

=

I still spent all my money so I don't feel too sorry for myself. Now get off my lawn, you kids with your Sphinxs and pokeymans.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #47
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

I honestly want to display my collection at a TFcon in the near future. My husband hopefully will have access to a car next year and make that possible - otherwise riding a bicycle even with trailer makes bring things in problematic. Next year will be what? 13 years consecutive of me visiting this show? I do recall the 3rd tfcon? 2004 was when I started and finding these glorious things, that would spur on my collection.

I have to agree with stormrave, its much harder now for me to find stuff on my hunt list. I got a printed out sheet with stuff to check over so I can avoid duplicates. Its imperfect but all in all it has helped me locate some stuff I did not have. I have over 200 Starscream figures.

I found it third party heavy but that is likely because they don't have anything 3p I am looking for. well there is promise of something delicious in future that would fit my bill.

Evil Chefticon
Owner of starscream.ca the new Sunstar's Seeker Sanctuary Home!

Last edited by Sunstar; 07-26-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:21 AM   #48
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Artfire being present was truly a gift. J-G1 stuff is hard to come by and we had a whole table of it.

Everything from Minerva to Road Ceasar and MIB Grandus was present. Even odd ball South American stuff.

Amazing.
agreed! My friends Riley and Dragon Knight bought Star Saber off him. That's one of those figures that makes a con for some people. I should know....it made Tfcon 2011 for me!

Sides it was awesome to browse and take in

Last edited by Malwave; 07-27-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #49
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
agreed! My friends Riley and Dragon Knight bought Star Saber off him. That's one of those figures that makes a con for some people. I should know....it made Tfcon 2011 for me!
I felt the same way the year I got MIB Overlord. It was pretty much the ONLY thing I bought, but it was worth every penny. And there were A LOT of pennies!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #50
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I understand where some of you are coming from.

However - I have been a dealer at numerous TFcons in the past and it's hard to compete with the newest and hottest things that have hit the market for Transformers.There were a couple years where I had to really discount my less desirable items to move them and some years where I had a good selection of Botcon and other exclusive toys and I think I only sold 3-4 the entire weekend.

Also the main focus of the weekend is Transformers, so there may not be a good selection of non-transformers toys. The market has really changed in the last 5-6 years, we didn't have big vendors like TFsource, Ages 3 and Up Captured Prey and The Chosen Prime attending.

And the market will probably change again in 5-6 years. 3rd Party Products are the hot ticket right now, so you can expect a heavy focus on that.

I found many things this weekend I didn't expect to find, you just have to look a little harder
Closed Thread