Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #141
Pascal
Banned
Re: haslab unicron

Maybe they'll add international orders from online stores at the last minute as a publicity stunt...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #142
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

I heard the Star Wars Haslab was slow going before the end and got a final push that let it succeed. This one seems pretty slow. Hard to believe it will meet the requirements. I hope it does...
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #143
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightshadeX View Post
I heard the Star Wars Haslab was slow going before the end and got a final push that let it succeed. This one seems pretty slow. Hard to believe it will meet the requirements. I hope it does...
For me, I hope it doesn't, if only to prove to them that the price was just too high, so that they can come back in a few months with a "let's try this again" at maybe 100$ less (and hopefully fails again)...then another 100$...until it reaches the edge of sanity.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #144
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
For me, I hope it doesn't, if only to prove to them that the price was just too high, so that they can come back in a few months with a "let's try this again" at maybe 100$ less (and hopefully fails again)...then another 100$...until it reaches the edge of sanity.
yep...
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #145
JohnathanKong
Generation 2

I'm not discounting that unicron is expensive, but some 3rd party combiners are just as expensive, like feral rex. Is the difference that those are 6 smaller robots vs one large robot? Do you think it would have been better if it came in multiple parts like FT Omega Supreme?
JohnathanKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #146
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanKong View Post
I'm not discounting that unicron is expensive, but some 3rd party combiners are just as expensive, like feral rex. Is the difference that those are 6 smaller robots vs one large robot? Do you think it would have been better if it came in multiple parts like FT Omega Supreme?
Sadly, it's turned into a "how much will people pay" for every companies, main ones or 3rd parties alike.

Some I can absolutely understand some higher costs, but so many... nah. there's no justification in the pricing.

When you can see some dollar store stuff being mass produced and sold at a few dollars, including Transformers at a few instances, that were selling at 3x the price in regular stores.

Yes, there's the dev costs, but I'd rather see a market with a decent saturation instead of the way things are now, where it's hard to find a LOT of figures, so many "exclusives", and so many so overpriced items that many just can't afford them.

Just to give perspective

(disclaimer, I'm just estimating these figures from the bits and pieces I know from manufacturing processes, and anyone with more factual knowledge can feel free to correct these numbers):

Selling 8,000 at 800$ = $6,400,000

Taking a guess of a year of development cost what? I'll take a guess at $500,000 for the salaries of 2 or 3 engineers or such and another $1,000,000 to get the mold and processing structure ready, then the materials and workforce salaries... that's a 5 Million profit.

Once the molds are ready and the manufacturing process is going, the overhead shrinks quite a lot and they could easily produce 5x the numbers at even 300$ and still make a huge profit, have more happy fans/collectors, and be able to bring maybe new ones in, so the next items would sell even more.

Example again: produce 40,000 at 300$ = $12,000,000
Using the same guessed estimated costs:
$500,000 for the salaries of 2 or 3 engineers or such and another $1,500,000 to get the mold and processing structure ready plus the extra materials and workforce salaries... that's a 10 Million profit.

But anyways.. it comes down that some things are just too expensive and it sucks that so many try to see how far they can push the prices up.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #147
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanKong View Post
Feral Rex came at a time when the Canadian dollar was almost on par with the US dollar, and you didn't need to buy the 6th member to get Feral Rex. The total cost for 5 members of Feral Rex was around $600 Can, not around $1k.

In terms of multiple parts, I was wondering that myself. They do build a figure with their Marvel action figures, I'm surprised they haven't started something like this for Transformers to get some of the off scale figures out there.

Five or six figures of various sizes, released over several years, that combine into Unicron would probably be more appealing and digestible. They could do a whole story line about Unicron being split up into several minions/entities that need to be recombined to form the planet muncher. And then, they could do the same for Primus/Cybertron.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #148
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Wishful thinking on your part...

Everyone wants to go top tier, including Hasbro & TakaraTomy, and even third parties. Low volume high profit margin paradigm works out better for them. Why saturating the market with stuffs that will go on clearances? The market has changed and left without us... sooner or later there will be one less hobby for me.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #149
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
Wishful thinking on your part...

Everyone wants to go top tier, including Hasbro & TakaraTomy, and even third parties. Low volume high profit margin paradigm works out better for them. Why saturating the market with stuffs that will go on clearances? The market has changed and left without us... sooner or later there will be one less hobby for me.
Same here, if Transformers go up anymore in price, I'm out for good.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #150
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Same here, if Transformers go up anymore in price, I'm out for good.
How much did you spend on that partsforming Zeta Superion?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote