Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #11
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician
Re: Is Apollyon worth owning?

I have Apollyon and i am getting Maketoys Destron i think his name it as that looks like it may be better buold as Cupola was a sweet figure and i have no love for xtransbot
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

The way some of the people here are descibing Apollyon, sounds almost exactly like how people describe MP-5.......yet it is said to be way better.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
DanicusTF(cdn)
Armada

You've all raised some very valid points. It's not that I'm in a rush to own or have a Megs stand-in, bur between the lack of an official one on the horizon and how 3rd party prices skyrocket after supply runs out, i just didn't want to make a snap decision. Not that I'm any closer to making one
DanicusTF(cdn) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I am more interested in Maketoys' Despotron.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #15
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmick01 View Post
The way some of the people here are descibing Apollyon, sounds almost exactly like how people describe MP-5.......yet it is said to be way better.
He is better for the simple fact that he's in scale with the MP-10 Optimus mold. Aside from that he's nearly as shitty as MP-05.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
pandagfx
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicusTF(cdn) View Post
I've been wary of third party figures for a while. My experience with them have been dissapointing with some poor QC, or I buy one and Hasbro releases an official fig of the character. This is all on top of the relatively expensive prices.

That being said, whith rumors of a 2.0 MP Megatron not being in the works, and with Apollyon looking to be an almost perfect replacement, do the people who own him feel he's worth it? Should I jump in now to avoid dissapointment?

From the photos that I've seen, I think Apollyon looks really great.

With that said, regardless of whatever improvements they're making for version 2, I'm still not going to get Apollyon. I'll just sit it out and wait for however long it takes Takara.

My reasoning is simple. I'm not one of those collectors who are craving for "MP-10 Optimus needs his nemesis", nor do I care that "my MP Decepticons are without their leader". Heck, MP-11 Starscream is just asking for Galvatron!!!

Some people think original Quakewave is the greatest third party MP ever, but you know what, they wouldn't hesitate to dump him for the re-issue darker purple version if they could (thus confirming buyer's remoarse, or the sad realization that original Quakewave was never the MP Shockwave they'd hope he'd be)

By the way, I'm not against 3P Transformers. I just prefer to spend my money on those that I think Takara will never touch, such as the FT/Gigapower Dinobots, or MMC Predacons

Of course, if you have any inkling that you'll regret not buying Apollyon, then better buy it before stock eventually runs out at online sellers. That's when Apollyon's price will skyrocket... unless MP Megatron is released
pandagfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #17
B13
I.Prefer.Decepticons

I received this figure as a present. I would have been even more disappointed if I had spent my own money on it. The paint on mine is ok... not fantastic. There are many scratches on many parts. It's supposedly the best Megatron out there, but I would not recommend it anyway. In comparison, MP-5 may look weird, but it's a quality product!

I decided not to transform my Appolyon statue because some plastic parts feel very soft, see too soft. I have a V1 and was also disappointed by a V2 coming out so soon with many improvements. X-Tranbot should have done better in the first place.

These V1 and corrected V2 situations are frequent, in the third party world, and it's making me sick. The products should be ready and "finalized" to start with; I feel like purchasing a V1 is always taking the chance of buying an unfinished product or a work-in-progress. Improvement is fine, I get it, but selling un-ready products needs to stop. Car companies know better; maybe it's the experience? Anyway...

G1 Megatron and even MP-5 rule as Transformers! Nice bot mode though, X-Transbot.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by B13; 08-26-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Orthography
B13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I was very sceptical of Apollyon at first. After watching a bunch of youtube reviews, I got a good feel of what to expect, in terms of flaws and strengths, and I decided it was worth the purchase.

IMHO it's solid figure, a 7.5 out of 10. It may drop or rise 0.5 depending on what QC stuff you have to deal with.

I was fortunate that I didn't have any major QC issues. For myself, I don't find the transformation all that nerve racking. It's relatively straight forward as long as you don't rush things. I never feel like I'm going to break the sucker.

But like I mentioned, I watched a lot of videos of this toy being handled and transformed, so I knew what to expect and what to watch out for.

The first time I transformed him, I followed along with a youtube video.

As mentioned above, if this was $150, it's an easy go for it. But it runs you around $200+ shipping included. So you have to ask yourself if it's something you really want.

For myself, I'm not disappointed. But I'd recommend you watch some youtube reviews. Emgo did a nice review, and he mentioned some of the QC issues he had to deal with, which were very similar to mine. Just make sure you know what you're getting into and don't impulse buy.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
innermanchild
Robot in Disguise

I don't think asking people what they think helps much because it's all subjective and based on each person's likes\dislikes. That being said, this is what I think

I own him and can't imagine my collection without him anymore. However, I don't transform my figures much, but I do enjoy changing the poses every now and again. Because of that Apollyon gets extra points with me because he comes with some cool accessories. When I first started collecting I was only buying official Takara figures, but once I got Scoria, all bets were off! That's a dangerous road though with so many 3rd party figures coming out now.

I've had no problems with mine and never had to change the shoulders. I have him posed with Lazerbeak on his arm and he holds him up easily. I would definately recommend him, but only if you're the type of collector that enjoys how they look up in your display. If you want to transform him often, then perhaps he's not for you, but given the complexity that his transformation will always require, we might never get a much better one. I hope everyone gets an MP version of Megatron they love because if you're a G1 collector, this character is a must. If it's not Xtransbots, then hopefully another company will make one others will love...I just wasn't willing to wait that long
innermanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #20
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B13 View Post
I decided not to transform my Appolyon statue because some plastic parts feel very soft, see too soft. I have a V1 and was also disappointed by a V2 coming out so soon with many improvements. X-Tranbot should have done better in the first place.

These V1 and corrected V2 situations are frequent, in the third party world, and it's making me sick. The products should be ready and "finalized" to start with; I feel like purchasing a V1 is always taking the chance of buying an unfinished product or a work-in-progress. Improvement is fine, I get it, but selling un-ready products needs to stop.
I completely agree with this. I remember back when Scoria was first released, there seemed to all kinds of issues with it. Fellow board members (and Fans Toys) seemed very supportive and helpful in resolving the issues but my attitude is, at that price point, these companies better have all the issued ironed out before the figure hits the market. I'm not a customizer and have no interest in taking figures apart, replacing joints, ratchets, etc, etc, etc.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote