Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 10-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Earthrise Arcee Concept Art By Ken Christiansen

Artist*Ken Christiansen, via his*Facebook account, has shared with us his*Earthrise Arcee Concept Art. Ken has worked with Hasbro designing several toys for different lines, and he shows us his early design of Autobot Arcee. As we can see from the image, the art is very close to Arcee’s*G1 movie model sheet, and providing an additional side view and color keys. Click on the bar to see the mirrored images on this news post and then share your impressions on the 2005 Boards!

The post Earthrise Arcee Concept Art By Ken Christiansen appeared first on Transformer World 2005 - TFW2005.COM.

More...
Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Re: Earthrise Arcee Concept Art By Ken Christiansen

If only the Earthrise version looked like this, lol, especially the head.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Ransak The Elder
Beasty

is the backpack on a second piece of paper?
Ransak The Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransak The Elder View Post
Good one!
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransak The Elder View Post
I was thinking something similar. Is this really Earthrise concept art, or just R.E.D.?
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

I think T30 Arcee had the right idea by having her legs run nearly the entire length of her vehicle mode. I'd even go a bit further than that and have nearly all of the sides of the car moulded onto the legs with only the feet covered up by the parts that become the shoulder-kibble in robot mode (instead of hiding the lower legs under dedicated car-parts like in the T30 version.)

The biggest issue are the arms, which don't really form a part of the vehicle mode on any version of the character. I'd get around this by changing her altmode slightly to use a bubble canopy instead of being a convertible and integrating it into her upper arms, having them fold up to become the top of the vehicle instead of down like in the current versions. The hood would form the chest like in the T30 version.

That would allow them to cut down on vehicle kibble substantially while having a toy that, while not 100% show-accurate, would still be recognizable as Arcee.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
I think T30 Arcee had the right idea by having her legs run nearly the entire length of her vehicle mode. I'd even go a bit further than that and have nearly all of the sides of the car moulded onto the legs with only the feet covered up by the parts that become the shoulder-kibble in robot mode (instead of hiding the lower legs under dedicated car-parts like in the T30 version.)

The biggest issue are the arms, which don't really form a part of the vehicle mode on any version of the character. I'd get around this by changing her altmode slightly to use a bubble canopy instead of being a convertible and integrating it into her upper arms, having them fold up to become the top of the vehicle instead of down like in the current versions. The hood would form the chest like in the T30 version.

That would allow them to cut down on vehicle kibble substantially while having a toy that, while not 100% show-accurate, would still be recognizable as Arcee.
I'd love that. But it won't fly with the fanboys.

Animated arcee was a delightful toy. Same bit with the arms tho.

T30 was a very good toy that was also a decent transformer.

I will be getting er arcee because I'm rebuilding my 86 movie display... Not even sure if t30 costs that much more nowadays tbh! Er looks nice with the backpack removed. It's not the best... Shrug.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

I never had an Animated Arcee but I took a look at a YouTube review of her after writing my last post and it's impressive how well-integrated her vehicle parts are into her robot mode, particularly given how things have regressed since then (with T30 Arcee only having her thighs and chest be made from visible vehicle parts, Cyberverse Arcee only having the lower arms and ER Arcee having nothing at all.)

My only gripes with the Animated toy's general transformation scheme are the fact that the hood doesn't form the robot mode chest (which was about the only part of her original character model that had a clear vehicle mode use) and her visible hands barely covering her face in vehicle mode. I think both of these problems could be solved by essentially doing the toy backwards, with the parts that form the front of Animated Arcee forming the back of the new toy and vice-versa. That would allow them to hide the face and hands under the vehicle mode hood, which could then fold down to form the robot mode chest.

The thing with Arcee is that her vehicle mode isn't that distinctive, just being a vaguely-futuristic sports car, so in theory that should give toy designers a lot of leeway in how they can build it out of robot mode parts. Instead, they seem to prefer to just make her a shellformer with the robot mode hidden away underneath.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
I never had an Animated Arcee but I took a look at a YouTube review of her after writing my last post and it's impressive how well-integrated her vehicle parts are into her robot mode, particularly given how things have regressed since then (with T30 Arcee only having her thighs and chest be made from visible vehicle parts, Cyberverse Arcee only having the lower arms and ER Arcee having nothing at all.)

My only gripes with the Animated toy's general transformation scheme are the fact that the hood doesn't form the robot mode chest (which was about the only part of her original character model that had a clear vehicle mode use) and her visible hands barely covering her face in vehicle mode. I think both of these problems could be solved by essentially doing the toy backwards, with the parts that form the front of Animated Arcee forming the back of the new toy and vice-versa. That would allow them to hide the face and hands under the vehicle mode hood, which could then fold down to form the robot mode chest.

The thing with Arcee is that her vehicle mode isn't that distinctive, just being a vaguely-futuristic sports car, so in theory that should give toy designers a lot of leeway in how they can build it out of robot mode parts. Instead, they seem to prefer to just make her a shellformer with the robot mode hidden away underneath.
I think it's fair that, since g1 arcee when 25 years without a toy, that they are trying to redo the 86 movie look closely in generations. I would argue t30 is more successful. Er obviously takes a lot of shortcuts.

"In theory" is the crux. Wfc, and certainly with parts of combiner wars, have clear design philosophies of "g1, with knees!" as a better poster than me has said. It's as g1 as possible, much like masterpiece is going all in on g1 toon aesthetic. If that is your overriding goal, then designers are more limited in how much leeway they have.

I don't agree with or particularly enjoy this philosophy. Much of chug has been about new TAKES vs slavish recreations with more joints. I'm excited for ss86, but I don't want all of my TFS to be that way. Chug cyclonus is an outstanding toy. T30 Springer. Lots of awesome toys that were clearly a certain character, without being the same toy you bought in the 80s with more joints.

Siege apeface is an example I could use. I like him despite his flaws. However, how many of his flaws could have been better addressed if he wasn't designed to be as boxy and odd as the g1 in the first place? Obviously he's a more artfully engineered toy, but he doesn't even look all that different from the original toy.

I can only assume the market has come to a place where Hasbro sees the most value in slavishly g1. I badly hope kingdom does well so that we see more of the many, many other iterations of tf represented.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Really nice concept art.

I own the Thrilling 30 Arcee, I thought it was awesome, it was my kid's first Transformer and that plus the Skyfire is what brought me back to this hobby as an adult.

Maybe next year or after they will make the right Arcee that will make everyone happy through the Studio Series 86 line.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote