Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
Batman
The Dark Knight
Re: GPS with Protoform SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
The last Transformer officially released by Hasbro/Takara to suffer from GPS was Beast Wars Grimlock in late 1997/early 1998, everything after that has been more top notch in terms of molded gold plastic quality.

Maybe there has not been enough time for newer figures with gold plastic to deteriorate?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
i agree.i currently have 8 bw tm megatrons and 4 are broken in the exact same spot(brown chest where the arms are hinged to fold in for dino mode.)i have yet to have any of their gold parts break or crumble(knock on wood!)
If you have a BW Grimlock, go transform him back and forth TWICE. After that, ebay is a good place to go find a replacement, I am SCARED to transform that toy.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
SPLIT LIP
Robot Master

Quote:
i agree.i currently have 8 bw tm megatrons and 4 are broken in the exact same spot(brown chest where the arms are hinged to fold in for dino mode.)i have yet to have any of their gold parts break or crumble(knock on wood!)
I had this, too. I loved the character and toy and it really mad me sad when he broke.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
PrimeConvoy
Machine War

I'm happy to say that none of my BW figures or any of my figures suffer from the "GPS", but man did I ever get robbed on the chrome paint problem. If I ever get a chance to repalce any of them again, i'm going to look into doing a clear coat or something...Because so far, any that I have replace has it happening all over again.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

I suspect that my 10th Ann BW Dinobot may be experiencing GPS. Has anyone heard of this figure having the problem before?
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Well it looks like there's a common theme here. That's exactly where my TM Megatron broke. I had only transformed him once, from dino to bot. Had him in storage for about 10 yrs and when I brought him back out and tried to transform him back to dino... the horror... sob.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
The last Transformer officially released by Hasbro/Takara to suffer from GPS was Beast Wars Grimlock in late 1997/early 1998, everything after that has been more top notch in terms of molded gold plastic quality.
I'll have to disagree, micromaster superion's gold waist suffers from it, as does crossover millennium falcon from reports on tfw, my proto ss's waist ball joint cup crumbled, but might be a production fault, not plastic

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #18
justprime
Animated

My BW dino bot is good both originals and 10th however tm megs's shatter arms are a testement to this syndrom not only gold but other colors have started to show up with this problem,.. mico masters have had hip/waist brakage due to a plastic that seems to brittle over time, several beast wars pieces suffered from this also,... as well as the rubber tire splitting from g1 to at least ride(op) you would think over the years these sort of problems would have been corrected by using different materials, mixing processes etc,... on that note my takara tm megs is of a different plastic it seems ,..sturdy and have had no problems at the moment with it.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
My BW dino bot is good both originals and 10th however tm megs's shatter arms are a testement to this syndrom not only gold but other colors have started to show up with this problem,.. mico masters have had hip/waist brakage due to a plastic that seems to brittle over time, several beast wars pieces suffered from this also,... as well as the rubber tire splitting from g1 to at least ride(op) you would think over the years these sort of problems would have been corrected by using different materials, mixing processes etc,... on that note my takara tm megs is of a different plastic it seems ,..sturdy and have had no problems at the moment with it.
Hmm, it's good that yours is holding up then. I wonder if mine is an odd case.

What has started to break is the hole on his left robot hand. I removed the tail/weapon that I had pegged into place there for some time, and some of the plastic around the rim of the hole just crumpled off like it was nothing. It's still usable, but I don't think I will have him hold it again. I can see those swirls that chansformers mentioned in the plastic though.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #20
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
I'll have to disagree, micromaster superion's gold waist suffers from it, as does crossover millennium falcon from reports on tfw, my proto ss's waist ball joint cup crumbled, but might be a production fault, not plastic
Well it looks like new ones are starting to emerge as time is progressing, as of that post I did (2008, this is a hella old topic), 2 new reports have surfaced.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote