Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Slustor
Generation 2
Advice questions for a first time seller

HI Everyone.

I am going to be doing a massive collection purge and I was thinking of selling it on the forums. I have never done so before so I was wondering I could pass by some questions.
For reference, I am selling from Toronto, Canada and this is my first time selling on the forums. I have quite a large collection and I am looking into selling off the whole thing.

So here are my questions

Is there an easy way to calculate shipping costs without having to go to the post office and weigh the item? I would assume buyers come from all over the US and Canada and shipping is often a way items are transferred. It might be very time consuming going back and forth to the post office trying to get quotes.

Are there any techniques you have come across that you find useful for getting results? And to that, what are some dont’s on tricks that do not work very well.

When selling large sets of sub collections, how are the responses when trying to selling them as a group instead of individually. For example, instead of selling 10 Alternators, well them as a batch at a cheaper price instead of offering them individually?

Are there any other tips you all can offer for first time sellers?

The community here is great and thanks to those who respond ahead of time. Any feedback is greatly appriciated
Slustor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: Advice questions for a first time seller

That Canadapost website has a section that you can get a quote. You will need to know the dimensions and the weight.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e1s1

As for selling items, selling in lots is easier but individually can usually net you more money.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
PrimeCron
Metroplex
PrimeCron's Ebay Auctions

I know that posting pictures of the items for sale is a must as it helped me a great deal when I started selling - make sure that you inspect and put a brief clear description of the condition all the items for sale as never ever want a buyer to come back and hunt you for damages items as your feedback thread will reflect accordingly.

Be prompt, polite when responding to inquiries and potential buyers as some of us aren't as patient as others. Over the years I learned and made it an experience purchasing from me!!

Be ready to time waster - IF after one or maybe 2 follow up and you don't get a response, MOVE ON!!

Pricing items can be tricky on some items and I know some members will go on evilebay and get an average of the sold auctions.

Shipping varies across Canada. Canada Post website has a tool that allows you to get an approx. shipping cost. I know that some members actually package the items and go to the Post Office to get the exact shipping cost which delays the whole process of completing a transaction.

If you are attending Convention/Toy Show/TFCon, it's great to mention it on your sale thread and also it's a great way to met people face to face in the community... I actually made lots of friends within the community of the years.

Good luck selling!!

Feedback link...
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=27458
PrimeCron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeCron View Post
as some of us aren't as patient as others.
Hey I resemble that remark! As for the points above I completely agree. Pictures and brief descriptions are a must as are prices. We have collectively seen a lot of sales threads without them and most people will simply move on if there are no prices
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
PrimeCron
Metroplex
PrimeCron's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Hey I resemble that remark! As for the points above I completely agree. Pictures and brief descriptions are a must as are prices. We have collectively seen a lot of sales threads without them and most people will simply move on if there are no prices
Sorry Sir!! I wasn't targeting anyone!!

Also, be very careful HOLDING figures for potential buyers - I would strongly recommend that you review feedbacks before making that decision - that's a dig!!

Feedback link...
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=27458
PrimeCron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
TRUCKvsGUN

You asked whether or not to group items; I wouldn't unless your time is very valuable and you can't be bothered with small individual sales. If you group 10 Alternators together as you suggested, then you would need to find a buyer who happens to need all 10, or the deal you give is so good that they can stand paying for whatever ones they already have a second time.

The Canada Post webtool that Tekkaman mentioned is great, and always accurately predicts what I pay at the post office. You don't need to worry about getting an accurate weight, as the pricing changes more with the box size.

Having pics posted like PrimeCron said can certainly help, but if you don't have time for pics of all your items, it would still help to mention that they're available on request.

Post prices. A price is either too high for someone or it's right for them; when it's right, it encourages and lets them know to go ahead, and when it's too high, it saves you a PM.

List anything you do to take special care of your items. You don't smoke around them, you keep them out of the sun, you store them in polypro bags.

Be honest and open about any defects. Reputation is everything here, and this will help establish you as a good person to deal with. It's better to take a loss on a junker than risk becoming known as disreputable and hindering all future sales.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote