Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Collections Spotlight

Old 05-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #11
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Supafly's mancave

Here is a post from another thread about light, the writer works in a museum:

Originally Posted by Omegatron
Please forgive a rather technical answer but my job is to keep museum artifacts safe, including from harmful exposure to light. When it comes to light damage two things matter, the level of the light (brightness) and the UV content. Light levels are measured in Lux. Natural sunlight can easily be a few thousand Lux. This will fade and damage paint very quickly. Its not that reflected sunlight won’t damage a Transformer its just that the Lux levels will be lower and the damage much less severe. If anyone’s interested museums try to limit Lux levels to 300 or less. At these levels damage is very slow and often unnoticeable. I’m not suggesting that anyone go out and buy a Lux meter, though they do exisit and you can if you want, just keeping your collection in relatively low light and definitely out of direct sunlight will do. The only way to completely avoid damage is to keep your toys in the dark.

UV is a bit trickier. In this case it is the wavelength that matters. UV film works by blocking the wavelength that is damaging. It’s quite effective although it does break down over time. UV film does not block visible light so don’t assume that you can place a display case coated in UV film in direct sunlight. UV is absorbed and changes paint at a chemical level over time. Certain paints are more susceptible than others which is why some toys fade and other don’t. Again UV levels in reflected light are lower than direct sunlight and a relatively low level of light in a room will also mean that the UV levels are low as well. It’s also important to remember that compact fluorescent lights also emit UV so a brightly lit room with no windows can still damage your collection. Basically keep your collection out of direct light, keep the light levels low and turn the lights out when you leave. If you plan to keep a toy for a few years and then sell it, keep it in a box.

Thanks and sorry for the lecture.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
Rev
Addict

Looks great!
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
miyinan
Generation 2
miyinan's Ebay Auctions

Very neat
miyinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #14
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

That's a super fly set up! I'd really be interested to know what home theatre setup you have going there.

Also, I echo the point about the blinds. You'd be shocked how much light those let in. Get a simple black out curtain for $10 at Wallymart, cut it to size or fold in half, and place it behind your blinds. Problem solved.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #15
supermanTF
Generation 2

AMAZING!!!
supermanTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
supafly
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
That's a super fly set up! I'd really be interested to know what home theatre setup you have going there.

Also, I echo the point about the blinds. You'd be shocked how much light those let in. Get a simple black out curtain for $10 at Wallymart, cut it to size or fold in half, and place it behind your blinds. Problem solved.
For the home theatre, the projector is a BenQ W1070 and for anyone looking for a good projector, price/quality is very good! For the sound system, all I can say is LOL. It's a 1990 Yamaha (solid as hell!) that doesn't even have HDMI (used RCA to HDMI adapter) but the PSB speakers kick ass! The bass carries throught the basement floor and goes whaabooommm

For the windows, I been thinking and me thinks that I will put card board up there. That way I can put up/out the card board easily and the blinds will hide it. Outside is bushes so meh, no worries.

A big thanks to folks here for the advice and information! See, this is a shinning example of how discussion forums are valuable. Like minded people sharing interests!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #17
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

Ikea should partner with Hasbro to sell more of those shelves.

(Super cool setup)

Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
masterpiece