Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Lysist
Alternator
Fansproject Boycott

Hello,

As many of you are aware, Fansproject has decided to mass release this years TFCon exclusive to mass retail. They have made some subtle changes (chrome and no Energon Case) in order to justify this. Well, I feel that there is no Justification for this and I am looking for people that feel the same way.
I am planing to Boycott any retailer/online or otherwise that offers pre-orders or carries the Henkei Powered Commander. I know that this could make getting our beloved Plastic Crack a little harder but I feel that this is nessisary to prove that TFCon and canadian fans will not be taken advantage of.
I will be sending out an e-mail with links to this post every week to all companies that plan on offering HPC untill they decide to stop carrying it or sell out of them. I hope that this will keep unreputable companies like fansproject from doing this in the future.
I understand if you see this as a chance to get one for yourself. I appeal to your sence of right and wrong. If you worked extreammly hard or attended a convention to get an exclusive only to have it released to mass retail weeks after I beleave that you would be angry too.

Please PM me if you have any questions or just post them.

Thanks to all of you.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
y2jversion1
Machine War
Re: Fansproject Boycott

I understand how you feel - but the cold hard fact is that CASH is everyone's number 1 fan. It's very naive to think that retailers will stop carrying something because of some fans getting burnt by an exclusive that was later available to everyone. They're not in the business for fans, they're in it for the money.

If a handful of cybertron.ca guys don't buy it, folks from tfw2005, seibertron and other fans will buy it. Where there is demand, there is supply because in the retail world, cash is king - not the morals & ethics of fandoms.

If BBTS will make solid commision on it and has a high demand, do you really think they'd stop selling it? Likewise for other retailers?

If FansProject didn't re-release it, another bootlegger company would (like the cliffjumper upgrade kit).

You also have to realize that the subtle differences in paint apps as well as the box still make the TFCon one an exclusive. It's a variant exclusive that only 500 of exist. And to add, the preadmission prices for TFCon exclusive included the admission to TFCon, making the toy around 110 only - which is 20 over what the Henkai version is being sold for...

Trying to be realistic here

Last edited by y2jversion1; 05-12-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Crobot91
Metroplex

Wow,... we are talking about toys, aren't we? Relax and enjoy your toy like I did when I purchased one for $150 cdn.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Quicky
Generation 1
Quicky's Ebay Auctions

Fansproject should have let Powered Commander remain an exclusive, it makes no sense to re-release it. So far they haven't re-released City Commander and there still seems to be a demand for him.

Shadow Commander being also a limited run hasn't sold out yet. I don't know how much of a demand there is for Powered Commander but this could hurt them financially if they oversaturate the market with this version.

Well, they have already hurt themselves with some of the fandom, with this PC fiasco.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
venksta
Render Project Creations

If anyone is going to boycott FansProject for this stunt, lets also add Takara to the list for releasing Henkei Thundercracker, Dirge, and Thrust as well. I paid good money to get my BotCon exclusive Classics Thundercracker, Thrust, and Dirge, only to see Takara release a cheaper version. We can also add Hasbro to the list for releasing the SDCC Alternator Nemesis Prime to other countries at retail, which was suppose to be an exclusive too. Its only fair if we put everyone up to the standard, than just single out one group.

Last edited by venksta; 05-12-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Quicky
Generation 1
Quicky's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
If anyone is going to boycott FansProject for this stunt, lets also add Takara to the list for releasing Henkei Thundercracker, Dirge, and Thrust as well. I paid good money to get my BotCon exclusive Classics Thundercracker, Thrust, and Dirge, only to see Takara release a cheaper version. We can also add Hasbro to the list for releasing the SDCC Alternator Nemesis Prime to other countries at retail, which was suppose to be an exclusive too. Its only fair if we put everyone up to the standard, than just single out one group.
You make a good point. I don't know if I'll ever be able to boycott them though...

I'm doing my part by bolstering the economy with all my transformer purchases.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I've never bought anything from them......I don't know if that counts as a boycott.

But I will definitly remember this instance when future promises are made by this fansprojects company. Being up front and transparent should be something they aspire towards.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Quicky
Generation 1
Quicky's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I've never bought anything from them......I don't know if that counts as a boycott.

But I will definitly remember this instance when future promises are made by this fansprojects company. Being up front and transparent should be something they aspire towards.
I'm a fan of their work on the commander upgrades, beautiful piece of work and highly expected more of their future releases. Now, they have tarnished their reputation a bit by making this bad business decision and possibly lying to TFCon and alienating some fans who, make no mistake, are their customers.

Now, I just don't see them in that light anymore. I will be following very carefully in what they promise next. Perhaps, they can redeem themselves.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Lead the charge Robimus!!

I honestly cannot see a boycott working here as there will always be demand for their products. They make great add-ons to existing toys... this event does not change that.

My only wish is that FP would have been upfront when they were asked about mass release of this product. The way they handled the whole thing is what everyone seems to be upset about. If they had been honest in the first place, no one would be this upset.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobot91 View Post
Wow,... we are talking about toys, aren't we? Relax and enjoy your toy like I did when I purchased one for $150 cdn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
both venksta and crobot91 make really good points.in the end,these "are" just toys.and if we're gonna boycott f/p,why not all?if it wasnt for fansproject,we wouldnt have any armors at all(magnus would look pretty naked)i mean,sure they're releasing the pc armor in the japanese market,the color schemes may be similar,but there's no extra "tfcon" goodies being included with them,thus making the 500 authentic "tfcon exclusives" still "500" in the world.now if people are mad because they went and bought 10,20 or even 30 pc sets hoping to gain a giant profit,nobody put a gun to their heads and said"buy this now and resell for a astronomical price".it was their own choice.i do feel for them but alot of times i dont cause some of these guys are probably the same guys who snagged every last one of the movie concept bb on sale,then went and "flipped" them on ebay for 40 to 60 a piece.i do agree that it was kinda shady for f/p to do this release just a few weeks after tfcon,but in the end,no matter how much they themselves may love the aspect of creating works of art for the fans,it'll eventually all boil down to numbers.they have to pay bills too.but to boycott any retailers that pick these up just doesnt really make sense to me(imho)the retailers are just trying to survive and pay their bills too.if everyone wants a blue shirt,guess what,retailers will start carrying them.just remember though,no matter what happens in the next little bit,if f/p floods the asian market with these pc sets,THERE'S STILL ONLY 500 TFCON PC EXCLUSIVES IN THE WORLD.(it kinda makes sense to me that they would eventually release this in the japanese market,being as the original powered convoy was created in japan,while most collectors here in north america didnt even know what powered convoy was until tfcon09(except diehard fans.....proto)