Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #11
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions
Re: Never ordered from Japan before. Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Except NY will overcharge you with their ridiculously shipping rate.
Nope, never been overcharged, their shipping is always the same and AE or cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
horrible customer service can be added and don't forget that if they under value your package and it gets lost good luck getting what you paid for it back
Never had my item undervalued either so I don't know what you're talking about there.

I'll also point out, I've never paid duty on the stuff from NY and I've never had a bad experience with their customer service either.

Maybe it's just you who's had this problem.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #12
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Nope, never been overcharged, their shipping is always the same and AE or cheaper.

Never had my item undervalued either so I don't know what you're talking about there.

I'll also point out, I've never paid duty on the stuff from NY and I've never had a bad experience with their customer service either.

Maybe it's just you who's had this problem.
NY has been over charging shipping since MP-25. I am saying for the identical item using the same shipping service. I've never shopped with AE so I can't say much about the shipping rate difference between NY and AE, but NY has been asking for a lot more for shipping the same item using same service compared to HLJ and AA. Last I checked, NY is not shipping toys in wooden crate.

I've never paid for my orders with NY either, but they customer service is questionable as best. When I and many here questioned them why they asked for so much more for shipping, they claim that the item's package is bigger and heavier. Guess what. It's not.

NY declared lower value on their shipping label. All my order from them (MP20, 21, 21G, 22, 23) had declared 100 yen on the shipping labels.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

they declare a lower value so the insurance you purchase on your parcel will not be covered for the purchase price if the item is lost or damaged during shipping as they will only cover the declared value.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #14
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
NY has been over charging shipping since MP-25. I am saying for the identical item using the same shipping service. I've never shopped with AE so I can't say much about the shipping rate difference between NY and AE, but NY has been asking for a lot more for shipping the same item using same service compared to HLJ and AA. Last I checked, NY is not shipping toys in wooden crate.

I've never paid for my orders with NY either, but they customer service is questionable as best. When I and many here questioned them why they asked for so much more for shipping, they claim that the item's package is bigger and heavier. Guess what. It's not.

NY declared lower value on their shipping label. All my order from them (MP20, 21, 21G, 22, 23) had declared 100 yen on the shipping labels.
Again, I don't know where you get your numbers but it hasn't been my experience with them at all. None of my MP's have come with lower costs on the declared values and their shipping rates are the same or lower than AE.

I find HLJ over-charges for the products so I don't order from them.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #15
icantbelieveit
Generation 1

I just checked both HLJ and NY for shipping MP29 via EMS, HLJ charges 2020yan while NY charges 4000yan, which brings up the total cost even higher than HLJ
icantbelieveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #16
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbelieveit View Post
I just checked both HLJ and NY for shipping MP29 via EMS, HLJ charges 2020yan while NY charges 4000yan, which brings up the total cost even higher than HLJ
HLJ also charges more for their stuff, so you aren't really saving any.

I can get MP 28 from NY for 5980 Yen plus 1290 Yen shipping or I can pay 6400 Yes plus 1190 Yen shipping from HLJ.

Delivery time is the same, seems to me NY is the cheaper option, 7270 Yen total from NY versus 7590 Yen from HLJ.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Again, I don't know where you get your numbers but it hasn't been my experience with them at all. None of my MP's have come with lower costs on the declared values and their shipping rates are the same or lower than AE.

I find HLJ over-charges for the products so I don't order from them.
I get my numbers based on what I see in my cart. All products sold in Japan has MSRP. So you can't claim that HLJ over charge their for their products. NY simply sells at a greater discount.

Take the latest MP-29 as example:

Takara Tomy Japanese MSRP: 16800 yen. 18144 yen after 8% sales tax. This is show on Takara Tomy Mall website.

HLJ:
List price 16800 yen. Their 20% off sales price 13440 yen

Put it in cart and it shows their Shipping:
SAL: 1280 yen
Registered SAL: 1690 yen
EMS: 2020 yen

NY:
Sales price 11680 yen.
SAL: 2490 yen
Registered SAL: 2740 yen
EMS: 4000 yen

Now take MP-28 as example. It's a much smaller item.

Takara Tomy Japanese MSRP: 8000 yen. 8640 yen after 8% sales tax.

HLJ:
List price 8000 yen. Their 20% off sales price 6400 yen

SAL: 780 yen
Registered SAL: 1190 yen
EMS: 1400 yen

NY:
Sales price 5980 yen.
SAL: 1290 yen
Registered SAL: 2700 yen
EMS: 2040 yen

These are facts and number from their sites. I don't make them up.

BTW, Amiami and HLJ has very similar shipping rate, difference due to using different shipping box size but usually just 100-200 yen more or less for a small item. NY used to charge shipping rate similar to HLJ and AA so I don't know why they jacked their shipping.

I don't every shop with AE because I don't pre-pay for pre-order.

My last order from NY was MP-23 so I can't say if they are not declaring lower value now. But all my previous order from NY were declared 100 yen.

Again, you decided how you spend your money.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 04-04-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #18
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

NY DID in fact up their shipping charges starting with Tracks. I bought Magnus and all the Datsuns from them and shipping wasn't a big deal. It's well known now that they charge more than is necessary to make up for their lower-advertised prices.

My Magnus came with a lower-declared value. I was happy because it meant less of a chance of getting hit with duty, which I expected due to his size. I didn't, so it's all good. But all the Datsuns were also lowered in value. I have stubs from 5 figures that attest to this in addition to Darth Cylon's work.

In the end, all that really separates most of the Japanese sites is a few dollars. I go with AE because they're the cheapest, but even then they're getting expensive.

BB, for example, was $38 US. Wheeljack was $41 US. Tracks was $47. Hot Rod was $50. Ironhide and Ratchet were $63 US. Shockwave was $105 US.

Prices are slowly and steadily going up.

OH! I will say this. On the last package I got from AE, their shipping cost on the box was within about 10% of the amount I paid for (benefited them, obviously), but nothing I would consider gouging.

Last edited by The7thParallel; 04-04-2016 at 07:44 PM.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #19
CanBot
Cybertron

Quote:
Use Nippon Yassen, better because you don't have to pay up front

Keep in mind what our CDN dollar is doing, though. If you're already trying to save a buck ordering overseas, then it's often better to pay now while our dollar is north of 70 cents USD. But if you don't have the bucks to pay outright, then by all means go NY. Better to overpay a bit rather than miss out completely.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #20
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Some Japanese web stores like HLJ and Hobby Search seldom (or never) carry limited/special edition stuffs like MP Ramjet from the TakaraTomy web mall. You will probably have to depend on N-Y, etc. Oh BTW, N-Y will increase the prices on such limited items over time. For instance, Ramjet was ~17900 yen when it was just available for preorder @ N-Y but it is now $24900 yen! It costs more to import one from BBTS

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote